The Sheed rules

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 10, 2006.

1. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think this is rather premature and unless there is a complete collapse will not likely happen. A trade will probably happen after the season and you can bet that it will involve multiple players...since no single individual on the pistions warrants a high talent in return (ie., KG, Chris Kaman, Primoz Brezec, Chris Mihm).
  2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'm on board with this... it's certainly conceivable that this is Sheeds last year here... but it's another thing to find someone with equal talent and size on defense... our youngsters are still too green to be counted on in the playoffs... IMO trading Sheed by the deadline may be giving up on the season (of course this depends on what is returned).... If the team falls on it's face early that's another story.
    Wondering if this "ovesleeping" had an effect on him not being named a captain... especially since he was talking about the possibility the day before.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Speculation is the greater half of prognosticating.

No single Pistons warrants a high talent? Hmmmm...

KG and Primoz all under the same high talent banner? Hmmm...
  4. max

max All-Star

I think we are going to keep Sheed. Him not being named a captain only means that you have to earn that title. His frequent "missing the bus" acts and techs do not warrent it. Or maybe he did not want the job?

He is still one of the top PF's and we are not going to find anything better. Especially with Ben gone - we need his D. He still has another 6-7 good years left.
  5. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

Sheed rocks! How come no one ever brings up all the help his foundation gives to people. He is a very warm and generous individual. I am not sure but I think he is more active in the charitable community than the other team members. And his foundation has been around for several years. When he gets angry with the calls, at least we know he cares. Lets give the man a hand.
  6. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

1. Jay, are you aware of the contradiction in that post with the rest of your posts?

2. Agreed in principle, roscoe, but there's also this: we know there's no way to replace what Sheed brings. You won't get that sorta talent and brains elsewhere, and Joe knows it. Joe's past is full of decisions that show how he feels about the length/talent combo: trading for Sheed with Darko and Memo already on the roster, Rodney White, Darko, Tay, etc. If you've got long arms and ability, you pretty much have to be a Darko-level whiner or a Memo-level eater to find your way outta here. IMO Sheed's gonna have to pull a lot of bad behaviour before Joe decides the bad outweighs the good. Plus, one hopes that Joe's dalliance with balletball teaches him that a) the Sheed/LB School of Thought is still the correct one, and that b) it's easier to get a coach Sheed respects than to get another Sheed. Caveat: it helps if Joe's got something specific in mind for the cap space.
  7. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

:pound: :pound: :pound:
  8. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

True that.

I seconded that.

I totally agreed with that. :pound:
  9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Huh? Sheed..."Brains"?????

I think Marty Feldman found a brain similar to Sheeds in a jar labeled "Abby Normal" in the movie Young Frankenstein.

I'm a Sheed fan...but "brains"? Come on now.:pound:

San Antonio 2005: Lemme see...I think I'll leave Horry open when the only thing that can beat us is a three.

Miami 2006: I also think I'll give my opponent chalk board material when I'm injured and can't back it up and they already feel disrespected by us.

Brains...Sheed....:yield::rofl:
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So we're supposed to forgive his constant complainning on the court because he's active in the community?

I don't know about you, but for me, what happens ON the court matters the most to me as a sports fan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that he does charitable work, but to turn a blind eye to his on court shortcomings because of it just doesn't make sense to me.

Why can't we have our cake and eat it too? Why can't Sheed be active in the community and quiet on the court? If Sheed stops getting in the ref's ear, does that also mean that his charity work stops too?
  11. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Sheed's unable to control his emotions and obviously has some sort of unhealthy chip on his shoulder, but he's not stupid, esp. re basketball. IMO he's one of the more thoughtful players in the league. There's a lot more going on in that stormy brain than weed, strippers and guns, which is what most of the league seems fixated on. (Not that Sheed presumably isn't, esp the weed, as we know, but there's more to him than that)
  12. easybuckets

easybuckets First Round Draft Pick

I forgot to say that Sheed's teammates adore him. He is very funny and friendly and the other players really enjoy him. If he left he would be sorely missed. And so what if he smoked pot , who didn't?
  13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I didn`t..................I didn`t inhale, anyway......:rolleyes:
  14. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

Oh...all right, I was reaching out a bit on that one. Points out that there will be slim pickings next year in the free-agent draft (restricted is slightly better) and only a couple of teams have cap room and who wants to play for them. I suspect heavy traffic in sign-and-trades, multiple large trades and perhaps for us, a Euro SG/SF.

I still believe that if this team sticks together...Sheed doesn't implode and Tay shows up consistently will put us in the finals. I still stand by my prediction:
    1. Detroit
    2. Cleveland
    3. Miami
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I agree. Miami made no changes which seems good, but really isn't. The reason why it is so hard to repeat is because the winner usually doesn't make any moves to get better while every other team does.
  16. Dlev59

Who in the East "got better" to overtake Miami?
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Arguably, Chicago. This was a really disappointing offseason for the Cavs and Pistons.
  18. max

max All-Star

I don't like this new rule. I think a lot of it was targetted against what happened in the Finals when Dallas was complaining about all the Wade calls. Now its going to be your just going to have to keep quite and take it.

I wonder how long it will take the league to start hitting the home team with techs for crowd reaction to calls. The NFL used to have something like that.

Fans are the only ones who can react to calls now. I guess coaches can still discuss them but they can't enter the court.
  19. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

Few of you believe it yet but Orlando got better; a lot better.
  20. Dlev59

Roscoe, do you really believe the Bulls could beat Miami to win the east??