The Sheed rules

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

It's not hard to conclude that the new "No Yapping" rule was implemented as a result of Sheed's whining to the officials... The Pistons in general complain more than most teams... this could also be a part of the last rule change "no touching the dribbler" that was designed to hurt the Pistons tough defense.
    We should be aware of the impact of this new rule... Sheed could be disciplined to the point that he can't play his game or is constantly sitting on the bench.... this is gonna be a rocky road for him and the team... Sheed keeping quiet?... can't see that happening... if anything it could get worse as he rebels the new "Sheed rules".
    I have to admit I was getting tired of all the complaining (almost as much as the crappy officiating)... When I watch the college players not be allowed to say a word that seems to be too exteme...
    Our coaches will likely get more techs trying to defend the players.
    Sheed does have a point... being one of the captains should allow him some more slack in discussing calls.... I can't wait to see what he "comes up with" to fight back... maybe he'll show up in shackles or something.

Related article
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

On the plus side, we now have 3 head coaches, so it really shouldn't matter if one or two get ejected.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Nice.:pound:
  4. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought CB was the new captain with a possibility of adding rip as co-captain?

Maybe they might add sheed as a co-captain too, purely so he has more leeway with backchat. haha. Maybe they could make the whole team co-captains!

It could be why they got Cowens. Canonfodder for techs.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe make the fans co-captains too so that we can run on the floor and argue with the refs.
  6. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

They could always elect Flip to do the whining. His early ejection

would not hurt the team very much. :gun1: :stirthepot:
  7. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

How unfortunate it would be if Flip got tossed in the first quarter and Terry Porter got an unscheduled tryout.
  8. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Sweet.:pound:
  9. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Publication of disciplinary action taken against officials who are terrible would go a long way towards clearing up complaining.
  10. vthomp

vthomp First Round Draft Pick

This rule will effect alot of teams, but the president of complaining, Sheed will feel it more than anybody.

Sheed and the Pistons are a emotional bunch and they don't like alot of calls that go their way. I like the rule to cut out complaining on all the calls, but I hate it because I know what type of team Detroit is.

SO STOP THE COMPLAINING BUT STOP ALL THE HORRIBLE CALLS TOO!!!!!
  11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I HATE the fact that the Pistons are always complaining about calls. I'm glad they're cracking down on that crap.

The fact that the Pistons feel like the league is targeting them is their own faults. Its because they DO complain all the time. I don't feel the least bit sorry for them.

Unfortunately, bad calls happen. Yeah it sucks, but complaining doesn't do a lick of good. In fact, its more likely to make matters worse by throwing you off your game and by encouraging the refs to call even more ticky tack fouls on you.

Just shut up and play through it. That's what TRUE champions do. That's what TRUE professionals do. That's what people with TRUE workmanlike attitudes do. All the things the Pistons like to pride themselves on. They take on all challengers. Sometimes that includes the refs.

Ben was the WORST for it. He'd look for a call EVERY time he touched the ball. Sheed is bad and Tay is starting to get there too.

Here's hoping that attitude left with Ben.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Mike Wilbon just put in best on PTI, "JUst shut up and play'. The two things I hate are players in Sports falling to the ground like they were shot in the bleep and whining. I do believe that team captains should be allowed to have sidebars with refs on bad calls.
  13. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah the rule is still part of Stern's extended punishment of the Pistons Org for their part in the brawl. Even though we really only had one player (the departed Ben) actually involved in the fracus.

We do have a bunch crybaby complainers on the team with Sheed the main culprit. It appears after he got here in 2004 and the Pistons won the title, it carried over to the rest of team the following two seasons as the Pistons felt the Ring :first: and the 05 almost ring, should have given them more respect than they garnered.:whoo:

It's a shame the "sheed rule" comes out less than 3 weeks before the season starts. If the Pistons had known earlier, they could have sent Sheed, Billups, etc to anger management class during the summer. Now they only have time to watch tapes of McDyess with his trademark smile and walk away attitude after every call against him.:)
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Big prediction in my top 10 list of big predictions: Sheed, Brahma Bull and Flip Murray to Minnesota for KG!!!
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

No doubt the Pistons woofing on every call was getting old... I think they used it to gain an edge on the next call... as Skiles said we had less fouls called than any other team.... the refs can act tough but they can be influenced.
    The downside is this could translate into more L's... Sheed has to be Sheed.
  16. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Hopefully this won't be a negative on Sheed. I'm really hoping this somehow motivates him.
  17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

We all know this rule will affect Sheed perhaps more than anyone else, however, Wade, Lebron, and some other notable superstars don`t always pat the ref on his arse after every call either.

Will be interesting to see if there is balance in this "Sheed Rule"........
  18. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Jammertime, nice post. I agree with what you're saying. Happy Thanksgiving, too.

Cutting down on all of the whining might actually help the Pistons. Perhaps they'll focus more on the game and not use the officiating as a crutch or excuse.

DARTH HQ, WHAT'S WITH ALL OF THE BOLD POSTS????
  19. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm sure it does help when it only happens once in awhile, especially on a call that the official may have regretted making in the first place. They're much more likely to give a "makeup" call, IMO.

But that only happens when the crying is warrented, not when its on every single play and the official is hearing it from several different players, the coaches, and the fans (at the Palace) on every single whistle. If that were me, I'd be more likely to swallow my whistle and think "You want something to cry about? Here you go".

Not to mention the fact that it makes us look bad to other teams and their fans. That's one trademark I DON'T want the Pistons to be known for.

@ Bill - Thanks man! I had a nice Thanksgiving. But I don't want to look at a pumpkin pie for a long, long time.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The fact that the Pistons are whining about the "No whining" rule says it all...