The Sheed effect

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Sep 26, 2005.

1. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

that sums it up for me. he's got negatives about him, but the positives outweigh them so far.
  2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Dave

I am not saying Sheed is great. He has his flaws just like anyone else.
    What I am saying is that Sheed is not asked to be the dominate player on this team. People want him to play in the post more which I would like to see as well but also you have to understand the amount of pounding that requires. Staying healthy is the key to the Pistons making any title run. So Sheed averages 20 a game and stays for the most part in the low post with his scoring and by mid-season he has back spasms and all type of other injuries and can't produce during playoff time.

Sheed steps up when it counts 90% of the time. He has hit a lot of big shots for this team. They may not be game winners like Mr. Big Shot but you can't deny that he is one of the main guy's they look for when the game is in crunch time. Nothing like a Sheed 3 to send the opposing team morale in the crapper!! :)
  3. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Hahaha

A Sheed three and then some attitude and trash talking all the way back down the court to block the next guy's shot. Or maybe a foul, but you gotta love the attitude. Hehe

Anyway, I think the biggest attribute Sheed has is the way he just jives with everybody's game. He complements Ben's defense, has great touch for those nice assists to an open Tay or alley-oop to Ben, the rebounding, the defense on the other team's big men, the attitude and swagger, and that presence in the locker room. :eyebrows:
  4. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bensheed Wallace

The problem I have with Sheed is that he can be a bit too unselfish at times. I wish he was a bit more aggressive. Kind of like Ben, only with 10x more likelyhood that his shot will fall.

I can't count the number of times I've seen Ben with the ball just outside the paint and just groaned knowing that he was going to try to get that ball "near" the basket anyway he could. A wild hook"ish" shot or a "stumbler in the lane". The guy is out of control when he has the rock and can see the basket.

I know part of that was LB force feeding shots to Ben to keep the other team honest. But really, what was to keep the other team from laughing histerically?
  5. Big C

Big C First Round Draft Pick

Jamme and Micro

To underacieve is to not play up to your ability, If you guys think Sheed isnt capable of giving much more well thats your opinions. Please read this article... http://www.hoopshype.com/columns/finals_hans3.htm
    No one never said Sheed didnt make the Pistons better, but if you can make them "great" by playing up to your ability then why not do it?
  6. puertoricanballer

puertoricanballer First Round Draft Pick

Sheed

Although he's an exceptional and talented player, I believe he need to improve in his recognition of some game situations. He's a PF with a great outside shot, but he's still a PF. When he's in an obvious mismatch he have to post up and take advantage. In the Finals he wandered too much on the 3-pt line for my taste. When he went inside SA didn't have an answer for him. His outside shooting abilities are certainly a weapon that many others PF will love to have, but he's too good inside to be looking for his outside shots most of the time.

His attitude is good, but a decrease in T-fouls will bw an added bonus.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

He came in and helped us win a championship....I'd say that is making the team great. Why not pick on Ben Wallace for missing free throws? Because you folks buy into the hype that Ben is a hard working good guy and Sheed is a lazy troublemaker.
  8. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Don't really understand what the debate is..

1. Pretty much everyone agrees that the Pistons would not have won the championship without Sheed.
    2. Pretty much everyone agrees that Sheed has the potential to be a top 3 power forward in the league.
    3. Pretty much everyone agrees that Sheed could do more in the offseason to be prepared for the season
    4. Pretty much everyone believes that Sheed's effectiveness this year plays a huge factor in our aspirations for a championship.
    5. Pretty much everyone believes that the competition this year has improved dramatically (Pacers, Heat, Spurs are dangerous)
    Here are the real questions:

Is Sheed's current effort his best?

I think no...because of #3

Is Sheed's current effort going to be enough to win us a championship this year?

I think maybe...because of #4 and #5

I will go out on a limb and say that I believe that Sheed is the most talented player on our roster. The offensive scheme that Flip uses will play a huge part in how effective Sheed will be for us offensively. Sheed has been heralded as the ultimate teammate. I believe that. I think the dude is wonderful...but he can do more. Come into camp in the best shape of your life and help lead us back to the promise land again, Sheed. We need you more than ever this season.
  9. Big C

Basketbills

No id say he help make them a champion. They would have been "great" if they would have repeated like everyone else has over the last 20 years! Spurs the lone exception but they have 3 titles in 7 years! The standard of a great team has been set in the league. And they didnt live up to the standard and yall lil saviour Mr. Wallace was a major reason why rather you want to admit that or not. Please read that article I posted and tell me that guy is wrong. You know he was right, ESPECIALLY about the "underdeveloped underachieving" low post offense. Ben gets a pass because he doesnt have the ability Sheed has but Ben gives 110% all the time. At least he attempts to play in the post and he is offensively challenged. But they throw it into him all game because Mr. (cant do anything wrong) Wallace wont go down there.

Im soooooo anxious to see how this Sheed and Flip marriage is going to work seeing that the Tar Heel connection of coaches supposedly had such a calming influence on the guy and he still lead the league in techs! Mark my word most of you will be "turning" on him this season as he continue to resort to his old portland ways. All that crying he was doing last year became contagious and the Pistons became a team of crybabies. They dont get a whistle and they lose focus for 5 minutes. And him and his NBA conspiracy theories, man give me a break. Just play ball you guys were just getting outplayed!
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Sounds like you have already turned on him. Not much left but to continue crapping on anyone else's opinion of Sheed now is there?

We know where you stand. At year's end you can have the last laugh or own up. Frankly, I'm about the Pistons winning if we start 5 Michael Currys. I don't get into haterism. We don't have one perfect player on this roster. No team does.
  11. dthrush

dthrush Second Round Draft Pick

sheed

Have read all opinion's so far and found most right on .I think Sheed provided the spark we needed at the time we got him to put us over the hump.When he got here everyone went out of there way to make him fit in.In doing so it made everyone else better.
    Only thing I worry about Sheed is if his off court actions could disrupt the team.So far it's been a non-factor and Ithink he deserves credit for that.
    As far as off season work , these guy's know there own bodies and what rest they need.I don't think anyone of us can appricate the great shape 99% of these guys are in.Myself,if I was that age and in shape to make it through the long season and playoff's I would take at least a month off to recoup.These guys have to have a life outside of basketball too,for their own sanity.They each know whens the best time for them to start working out again.Don't think for one second these guys (PISTONS)don't know it's their job to be in shape.
    On the court,I say let Sheed take his threes as long as he makes a good %.It makes the other team adjust to us.We were looking for more outside shooting in off-season when IMO we have it allready but didn't use it enough.(Sheed , Chuncey,Tay)
    So long!
  12. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

posting up

Maybe my memory is selective, but the human brain see's patterns and the pattern I see is a lot fade away jumpers and 3's. The stats speak for themselves- if you are posting up you should take more than 4 free throws for an ENTIRE FINALS SERIES. That isn't "plenty" of posting up. If Darko were playing 30mpg and produced like Sheed did I would give him crap too- not that Darko has anything to do with this discussion Mercury.
  13. iamme

iamme First Round Draft Pick

i know, my comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek.
  14. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Sheed's status

There really aren't many power forwards in the league that brings Sheed's package of offense and defense. The question I have is does Sheed still have it and I think the answer is yes. It won't take much out of Flip to use Sheed more effectively on offense. He needs more touches whether down low or not down low. Ben should be used strictly as a finisher. My biggest complaint on Sheed is that he picked up a lot of unnecessary reach fouls that kept him on the bench. The staff needs to talk to him about that. On offense, I can't blame him solely since I don't know how much his lack of touches were do to Larry's schema. Let's see how Sheed is used this year. If his offense is not more productive, then I will worry because if we don't improve offensively this year, we won't win and Sheed would figure to be a big part of our offense.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Maybe you guys don't see it anymore, but when we got Sheed we had a huge difference in this team in a good way, and he is still is helping this team in the same way. Maybe many people don't see that since we've had him for a little bit now. Oh guys tommorow on AM 1130 (radio station) they're going to have an interview with Flip Saunders at 3 PM. I've really wanted to find out what Flip is thinking about this team, but I might miss it cuz I'm going to come home around 3:50 tommorow. So tell me what ya'll heard if you listen to it.
  16. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

love Sheed, for sure. I've to admit that I've been one of those criticising (damn, how do you write that???) him about his stats without considering how much he that doesn't occour on paper.
    The only thing I'm wondering about is what happened to his FG%, it was very good for most of his career but has decreased the last ywar continually.
  17. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

I believe it has to do with the majority of his shots being perimeter shots. Here in Detroit he is shooting alot of perimeter stuff. Back in Portland he played the post more and put the ball on the floor to improve his position and get easier shots. He also got alot more Dunks in Portland because he was a "primary" rebounder out there and had alot of putbacks and Dunks.
  18. Big C

microwave

Please define Haterism for me. I thought everyone was free to voice their opinions w/out recieving such rediculous monikers. Just because I dont agree with you or find problems with Sheed's game doesnt make me a hater. I would prefer to think that i have eyes and a mind of my own and im free to make my opinions based on those attributes. So if that makes me a "hater" find im a hater. Then ill continue to be a hater because using my own thought process and opinions have worked pretty good for me in life so i must be a dam good "hater."
  19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

He probably said that because you made Sheed' sound so bad in your post.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Big C.

I am busy until 6:00. When I get free, I will PM you with a definition of haterism. In the meantime, try not to take or make this discussion personal. I'm not.

JFYI, "haterism" was in reference to myself. "Don't be player haters" was broadly meant for people working too damn hard to prove that Sheed is dirt. If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it...

Catch you soon.