1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

the scarlet letter

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Apr 28, 2006.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Re: griffin...the scarlet letter indeed!

i think this is one of the loveliest posts i've seen on the board...thanks!

2. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

My name is armygirl and I admit that I have a problem. (this is the time you want to say; hello army girl & welcome)....

I am deeply in love with Lebron James game and him as a young person, I secretly root for him during the cavs/wiz playoffs . The irony is I am living in the washington dc area and my husband is a staunch bullets/wizards fan because this is his hometown.

Do you understand how difficult it is to be sitting besides your significant other rooting for the wizards outwardly, but you know it is the cavs you want to win. You tend to do everything in your power not to show your emotions for the other team. On the other hand, he loves the pistons, but secretly roots for the wizards if they are playing the pistons.

I need help because I genuinely hate the wizards, however there is one player whom I enjoy and that is Jared Jeffries. Lots of untapped potential there folks.

Secondly, I would not miss a bulls/heat game right now. I hate both teams however, I just love seeing Miami come apart at the seams.

Now my Pistons, it's been truly heart wrenching, like last night, I went to sleep not wanting to know the results until this a.m. Needless to say my sleep was very restless, many times I felt like getting up in the middle of the night to watch the espn scroll. I contained myself until this morning, I grabbed my rabbits foot, 4 leaf clover and a prayer.

Luckily we won, so tonight and tommorrow night the trilogy begins again, Miami/Chicago, clv/wiz san an/sac and my beloved pistons.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Re: griffin...the scarlet letter indeed!

I thought the same thing this morning. I wrote a "stop being a dirty diaper TFD" post, and then thought better of it. That doesn't change that both Army and Kim's posts are really fresh and honest.

4. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Thank you aurora & army for sharing your feelings.

By admitting you have a problem, you've taken the first step towards recovery. I applaud your courage. Together, we can beat this thing.

Now, two points.

Armygirl: I think you should tell your man the truth. Using your most serious voice say to him, "Sweetheart, there's something we have to talk about. Maybe you should sit down." Then start to cry, followed with some kind of over-the-top statement like: "I'm living a lie!" OR "I feel so dirty. I can't go on living like this!" And then, after he's turned pale and accused you of sleeping with his best friend, tell him the truth. Tell him the King rules your heart. Tell him you are a Witness.

You can't go on lying to yourself, Army. It's not good for the soul. Tell your man the Wizards are a horrible basketball team (except for Gilbert and, I suppose, Jeffries) and that you're never rooting for them again.

You're welcome.

Aurora: I think it's all good advice except for one thing: I'm not pulling for any particular team, per se. My problem is that I'm enjoying watching other series more than our own. It's a funny thing. I could write a lot about it.

It's like I'm experiencing a basketball transcendence. In other words, I'm just enjoying the good competition and the great storylines; I'm enjoying the whole of the NBA Playoffs as though it were one large story with multiple storylines. And the conflict is that - once the Pistons are up to bat - that transcedence must be put away. I can't watch their games with the same open mind that I watch all the rest. I watch them just hoping they don't lose, which isn't as fun.

HOWEVER, I wonder if I could experience any part of this transcendence if it weren't for the fact that *my team* is sitting pretty at the top of the mountain? Does anyone know what I mean?

It's like if a Piston fan got into a discussion with a Cleveland fan. Cleveland Fan might talk trash, doing whatever he could to mess with Piston Fan. But Piston Fan wouldn't be rattled - in fact, COULDN'T be rattled - by a fan from such an inferior team. You'd almost want to pat Cleveland Fan's head and say, "You just don't understand. But it's okay. I forgive you."

Being in that position, as the leader of the pack, as the superior team, I think we're given the opportunity to watch other teams without any fear. I think it's almost the way David Stern might enjoy an NBA game.

Does any of this make sense?

5. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Amy I too live in the DC area, and I too hate the Wizards, If we were not married, perhaps we could watch a game together!!!!!! :eyebrows:

6. max

max All-Star

Armygirl - perhaps the both of you are just being polite?

My new other team - the Clipps mann.... I gained a lot of respect for them. It used to be a joke to talk about them. How do you know the end of the world is near? When the Clipps make it out of the 1st round. We are still here.

7. linwood

linwood All-Star

I'm with you Max. If the Pistons didn't exist, I would be a huge Clippers fan. Elton Brand is great to watch, Kaman played through "the incident" Casell is back and talking trash... you name it. These guys are great. I hope they play the Lakers in the WCF, even though it would destroy my brackets completely.

8. max

max All-Star

They do kind of resemble the Pistons a bit. Team ball, no superstars getting all the glory. Brand is one but he is hardly talked about.

9. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

alright alright.

i love dwyane wade.

not only does he have an incredible "upper rack" but he spells his first name (of Celtic origin meaning "dark, from the dunes" -- gotta love that) in a way that in no way adds up to the pronunciation "duane" or "dwayne or "dwane"; "duwayne," "dwain," or "dwaine" -- at least not in any language i'm familiar with. what is that, oh dwee-ane? dwhy?

I despise the Heat more than words can say, and i want them to lose and be humiliated and exposed. But not Flash. That makes my infatuation -- I'm not sure it's quite an affair yet, but all the slutty encouragement on this thread is making me reconsider -- somewhat complex. It's hard to see the one you love hanging with such an unsavory crowd. Like seeing your favorite actor or actress in a %%%%ty movie, or a childhood best friend hanging out with drug dealers or pretentious intellectuals or wanna-be bohemian artistes.

I want to say to Flash, "I know that deep down you are beautiful and don't belong with this motley crew of overpaid, undergifted, loudmouthed, ugly front-runners whoring themselves out for a futile run at a championship they can't win and never could win because of who they are. They run from failure like a restaurant patron from the bathroom after a stinky crap. Only they don't realize that they're trailing the toilet paper along behind them. But Flash, you are more than this and I want you to know that I know. And my fondest wish for you is that the riff raff taht surrounds you blows off after the season like so many autumn leaves, and you are left all by your wondrous self, amazing me with your slashing aerial drives, your circus no-look shots, your rebounds, your coast to coast or alley oop or baseline or put-back slams, your occasional hot streak from the perimeter, and yes, even your turnovers; and all on a team (like the one you had the year we won the title) that you are carrying to overachievement. This underachieving crowd you're currently saddled with tarnishes your beauty. But I can still see."

I cried like a baby the day he torched us for 17 in the 4th quarter, so cleft was my heart.

And if I am spurned by Doowhaiyne Whyade, I'll see if Kobe's available.

10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: the scarlet letter...I knew I didn't belong here!

Yeah, this thread is for truly demented losers.
    You're all a bunch of "Jock Sniffers" but without SHAME!
    Openly admitting you dig enemy players---------(-10) pt.
    Puke-a-romma!
    Did you not like seeing Kobe get clothes lined? Rashsa Bell, keep an eye on him! Now that's a man!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    P.S. Rips bad ankle is throwing off his entire balance and shot. He needs to rest that.

11. roscoe36

It's good you posted 5 times to it then. You're definitely repping the demented losers well. :P ;) :D

T F D represent, represent.
    Emo challenged poster, represent, represent.
    Reply to this thread, no thought for hesitance.
    Exposed as front runner, for crybaby president.

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Like I said, I don't belong here. You people need to work this out yourselves.
    However the first Piston Fan to admit he likes Kobe will be severly reprimanded.

13. roscoe36

6 times. You are really representing now! :P

I LIKE KOBE. I like his game a lot. I don't however have a lot of respect for philanderers with a 6 month old baby daughter at home.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

And that's about all you can get away with.
    I guess you know both he and Shaq now have 2 day old daughters. Born 6 minutes apart. People were saying the 2 girls will be fighting over toys at the day care.

15. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

Well, I like Luke Walton. :) Is it just Kobe or is it the Lakers?

16. roscoe36

How creepy is this? I like Luke Walton too and I can't even explain why. I just get excited when he comes into a game, even though he's not much of an impact player.

17. justise32

I've liked Luke ever since the 2004 Finals, when he came in and hit that BIG shot for the Lakers. This year, I couldn't understand why he was not starting for the Lakers. The Lakers have been awesome since he has been starting. Yea, I know, it's more then Luke, but he is making an impact.:nod:

18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ya'all got a man crush on Bill's son?... throw it down big fella!

Naw Luke's cool... he plays the team game... jess passes too much when he's got the shot.

19. justise32

Who are you referring to? justise32 ? Or the microwave???
    I (justise32) orignally posted about Luke. And I am all woman.:nod:

Now on the real...I'm all about Richard Hamilton, but...there is something about that Luke Walton!:)

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

armygirl -- good to be a Witness last night

My thoughts were with you when I was watching Cavs/Wiz last night.
    I mean that excruciating overtime! I imagine you sitting next to your man just beside yourself with complicated fan feelings.

I hope you had "the talk" with him. because these next 1-2 games could be really tough on you. Best not to have these secrets, eh? I'd be worried that I would get so involved in the game I would start openly rooting for the Cavs, forgetting that he was sitting beside me.

I have kind of a casual ex who is a Lakers fan and to add insult to injury Kobe has been his favorite player since he was drafted. I lied to myself that this didn't bother me too much until he came over for one of the Lakers/Phoenix games last week. Everytime Kobe scored he yelled "Wow! That hurt. Like a knife right through the heart." You get the idea. By the end of the third quarter I was considering asking him to leave. I don't really dislike the Lakers, but I really really really don't like Kobe. Now I do respect his game, but the rest of Kobe besides his game I can seriously do without.

Anyone who picks his own nickname of Black Mamba and tries to get it to catch on. Who is arrogant enough to pick their own nickname? Besides he stole that from Kill Bill. Everytime that hate my swagger
    Nike ad comes on I have to mute the sound. Oh wait I don't want this post to deteriorate into an anti Kobe rant. Where was I?

Anyway, sitting there with my friend trying to be a good hostess while he was so so happy about the Lakers beating Phoenix was more than I could bear. I decided no more Laker playoff games with him. It's different in the regular season when the stakes aren't so high.

So I hope you tell your man. I think I could be friends with any other fans except the Spurs. The Spurs for me were hate at first sight.
    They have been more interesting to watch now that they have Parker and Ginobili, but before them what a god-awful boring team.

It's late on the night of RIP's 40 pt game and I am just still thrilled, thrilled, thrilled. So thrilled I'm just posting away into the wee hours.

I guess those trainers knew what they were doing with RIP's ankle.
    Glory Hallelujah.

Who's next. Bring 'em on.

Hey all I think it's great that this thread has some staying power so far.
    Keep us entertained while we march on toward Pistons destiny.

kimberly