the scarlet letter

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Griffin, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

As we are now knee-deep in first-round action, I find only one series to be truly lackluster: our own.

I understand why this has happened. The Bucks are a venomous creature of boredom in every imaginable facet.

So the point of this thread is not to talk about why our series is the lamest of all, but rather to create a type of support group for those - like myself - who feel like they're having an affair with other basketball teams.

The first-round has been an unimaginable joy so far: starting with the Lakers / Suns series, which we could talk about for days; San Ant. v. the Kings v. the Artest + Reefer's First Day of School + the Brent Barry shot; the Rise of the Clippers and the growing potential for LA v. LA, + Kenyon's official collapse + Denver's open admission that their powder blue road unis are terrible + the struggles of Anthony; Miami exposed in the first-round by entertaining, well-coached [no longer Baby] Bulls; VC and crew also revealed as frauds by an Indiana team that suddenly can see the ECF; LeBron v. Wiz, aka the sloppiest basketball i've ever watched, like two kids on a disasterous first date. Only Dallas v. Memphis has failed to live up to expectation so far, in my mind, even though the Problems of Pau are mildly interesting.

And then there's our series defined by two words: viciously boring. And I can't help feeling disappointed. Even I can't get excited about the Pistons right now.

Once the semis get underway, the entire nation is going to say in unison: "Oh, right. I forgot about the Pistons." We will not be the It Team at all. People will have already fallen in love with their first-round beauty. The rooting tide will be against us. And I might even continue to share my love with others.

I might even root for Zen and Kobe to win a few more games.

What does it all mean?

I'm losing my mind.

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yes, you are and so am I. You're in good company.

I have to admit that I have fallen back in love with the Wings since the first playoff game. The NHL playoffs are so much more intense, exciting and passionate. I know the ECF and (hopefully) Finals will be dramatic, but the Bucks are absolutely killing me. I can't get into Kobe vs. the Suns, LA vs. Denver, Sac vs. SA etc. It's like eating your favorite food, for the 84th straight meal. Pass the Tabasco.

The only series that I find somewhat intriguing is Chicago Miami. I'm in love with Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich.

The best part about this community is the lack of "fluff" discussion. Like, "Look at Chauncey's shoes!" or "Kobe is my baby's daddy!". But even the fluff sports boards are pretty dry when it comes to discussing the Pistons.

Is it the Pistons fault they are so good, or the Bucks fault that they really do not belong in the playoffs?

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

That's a good point, maybe the Pacers will get that far! I hadn't even thought of that until you mentioned it. Sure, there's a long way for them to go, but at the moment, they seem just as likely as anyone else in their bracket.

LOL. But if you want sloppy, Clips/Nugs last night had neither team breaking 40% from the floor, and 25 turnovers by the Clips!

4. SKluck

SKluck First Round Draft Pick

I've fallen back in love with all Detroit sports teams, and I couldn't be happier. In my teen years I kind of fell out of sports with the teal pistons, crappy tigers and the strike, the loss of Barry Sanders, etc. Now I can't get enough. I watch all 82 piston games. I watch all Lions games, and am going to try to watch at least 50-75 tigers games (If I don't watch it I'll have the gameday live on the computer). And now I'm watching every Redwing playoff game! I don't really like hockey, but these playoff games are INTENSE. Last night was crazy, even with the 234 called penalties.

Last sunday it was Wings at 1PM, tigers at 3:30PM, Pistons at 7PM. This saturday is the same lineup.

BUT this topic is about basketball. I'm paying attention to all series. Except Paperclips/Thuggets. Their series is just so boring, with the more boring, lamest players in the playoffs, I can't bring myself to watch even one game. Bulls/Heat is the most interesting, I hate the Bulls, but I hate the Heat more, so it's fun to watch them destroy each other.

SA/SAC is a must, you gotta keep tabs on the enemy. Other than those which I try to watch, I'll usually have the TV on TNT or ESPN and watch whatever game is on out of the corner of my eye.

5. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

Apparently the Detroit Bad Boys Blog has my back. They even use the word "affair." Something undeniable is happening:

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/

Going over to the dark side

It has taken me a long while of questioning myself and my judgment before being comfortable enough to speak out on this topic. But I've decided that, in the interest of moving forward, I have to admit my faults, apologize to those whom my actions have affected most, and get on with making myself a better Ian. So here goes. I'm having an affair.

When I first met the Pistons, I was wide-eyed and knee high. I've been a fan since childhood. I was there for "stolen by Bird" and "Game 7 at the Great Western Forum." I celebrated the Bad Boys. I was there when Alvin Robertson, the original Latrell Sprewell, nearly choked Billy McKinney to death. I watched Grant's inbounds alley-oop to Linsdsey Hunter with less than second on the clock. And I've enjoyed #3 and the current run for #4.

And all the while, I lived in a comfortable world, where few opposing players ever intrigued me, and all could somehow be justified as lesser than my favorite of the Boys in Blue. But now my eyes have begun to wander. Not for a new team, mind you — the trophy will always look better hoisted over Piston red, white, and blue — but I've started to recognize the talents of non-Pistons. And it has shaken me.

Sure, I had glanced in the past — who hasn't. For me it was always a David Robinson or a Dan Majerle, a "good character guy" or an underdog who was easy to root for when the Pistons weren't in it but just as easy to look back away from when things were better at home.

Now, players that I formerly wouldn't allow a glance are causing me to tune into their games in the midst of a Piston title run. Players like Kobe and Nocioni — players I was convinced spent their summers stealing from children or tripping old people — have garnered my appreciation for their skill and determination. I'll send IMs to friends raving about the latest of Kobe's miraculous 18-point performances, or celebrating every splinter Nocioni shoves under Kazaam's fingernails. I'll get nearly as excited by a last second, 7 v. 2 upset, as I do for the lackluster Piston blowout over the Bucks.

So I ask you is it alright to take time out from our current drive for four to appreciate the games of others around the league? Is this polygamy curable? Am I still allowed to rock my Bill Laimbeer throwback, or have I given up my P (iston) card?

6. roscoe36

Everyone should play Fantasy BBall. There is really no way not to like and acknowledge other players in the NBA.

7. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Sometimes you have to let the sickness run it's course. Take the meds. Hold fast. Just don't forget who the enemy is. Warn people of the upcoming doom. Prepare the mind for hardship.

8. max

max All-Star

And we wonder why ESPN/TNT are not picking up our games?

I am not bored though. Series does not start until you win one on the road?

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Seriously. I learned a ton about players on other teams, and now I'm a huge fan of (sorry guys) Wade, Arenas, and Gasol. Hell, I was even rooting for Darko when he was on my squad for a brief period. lol.

I once asked Lee180 why he doesn't play fantasy basketball since he is always playing like he is smarter than the real GM's (or maybe he thinks he is a real GM). Anyhow, looking back, it ironically would have given him a more realistic perspective on players...well....maybe.:ohwell:

10. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

i guess if I was a bucks fan, I'd be loving the awesome shooting and the great energy that put the pistons on their heels from the beginning and kept them off balance throughout.

However, a five game (or even a 6 game) series of one team handing it to another isn't all that exciting. Its hard for me to root for the favourite. you can't ever pull of an upset.

11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Ya mean there are BBall whores amongst us?.
    Ceegrif don't let Chauncey know about your wandering eyes.:heh:

Seriuosly this complacency thing is normal after a long run of success... it happened in 90 and eventually set in on the team that lost in four to the Bulls... We've been assured that the motivation level would be high after the Spurs series... then they get spanked by the Bucks.
    WE'll see if they are re-energized on Monday.

Been waiting a looong time to proudly say this again....
    GO TIGERS!!!

12. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

I too, hate the Bulls and Heat. Don't really know which team I dislike the most. So, I am enjoying watching the Bulls and Heat destroy each other. Right now, the Bulls (or cockroaches) are killin' Shaq and D-Wade. That whole squad is unraveling. Players attacking refs; players attacking the ememy; now, players attacking each other.:) Priceless! I'm loving it. So yea, I would say that the Bulls are winning thus far. However, I know on Tuesday, it'll be another story down in Miami. But, I hoping the Bulls (cockroaches) will take over down there too.

But the strangest thing is....I find myself fasinated with Kobe and the Lakers.:doh: And I thought I was a true-Kobe-hater. :frusty: But...those Laker boys are cuttin' up. Talk about action (both physical and athletic). I lookin' for some punches to be thrown in Game 5. :nod:

13. roscoe36

No doubt. This has been the most drama filled first round I can remember in a long time. The physicality and competitiveness reminds me a little of when the Bad Boys played.

14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good post J32, what about the Pace and the Kidds? Cut each other up.
    Oh but I still can't stand Kobe. Fix that S' Nash.
    What about RonRon and his new boys? They are throwin' down!

15. justise32

justise32 First Round Draft Pick

I really haven't watched the Indiana/New Jersey series, so I can't really comment. But, RonRon and his boys (or maybe I should say Bonzi and his crew) is throwin' down. Did you see Game 4? Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu looked lost. I kinda felt sorry for them. RonRon had Tony and Manu hemmed up, they couldn't do nothing. Bonzi and K-Mart went wild. Hell, even Miller was killin' them from the top of the key. Bruce Bowen was a non-factor. He's so use to defending players off the screen, that he couldn't do anything about the post-up. I think the Kings can take Game 5. It's not like they haven't won in San Antonio before. They almost had Game 2, without RonRon. I'm cheering for the Kings. Let Dallas deal with them.

As for Kobe and his Lakers, well, I don't like Kobe either. But, the Lakers sure have made this a very entertaining series. I think the Lakers will take this one. I can't see Kobe allowing the Suns to win 3 games. He has to too much pride.

16. roscoe36

Bonzi is having a great year. When he had 22+18 (PTS/REBS) in the second game, I had a good feeling about his season. Too bad he lost so many games to injury.

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Kings knocked off the Spurs?

17. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

A 7 game beating/slugfest should snap the Spurs out of it.
    I can't take anything away from Kobe right now HE'S earning his pay.
    Unlike a few RWings I know.

18. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

griffin...the scarlet letter indeed!

"So the point of this thread is not to talk about why our series is the lamest of all, but rather to create a type of support group for those - like myself - who feel like they're having an affair with other basketball teams." Griffin

As part of this support group, I thought I would pass on a few rules of the road about having a basketball affair. I take as my expert someone who has written extensively on the matter on Page 2, espn.com Bill Simmons -- who is presently engaging in an increasingly dangerous affair with the L.A. Clippers. I mean this guy is an absolute die-hard Celtics fan who has had season tickets to the Clippers for two seasons now!

These are all Simmons rules for conducting an emotional affair but maintaining monogamy:1. Never refer to your affair team as “We.”2. No buying or wearing any of the affair team’s merchandise. 3. Always remember that these teams could end up playing each other which could end up in you having fan schizophrenia.

These are some of mine: Don’t start hanging out with fans of your affair team, posting on their boards etc. It’s my opinion that a good percentage of our trollers are fans from other teams who are having a basketball affair with the Pistons, usually a love/hate affair they can‘t admit to. Unfortunately their guilt about cheating causes them to post overly-negative posts about the Pistons on Pistons message boards. This just confuses everybody. Stay on your own board and on your own side of the bleachers.

Oh and remember too that a basketball affair follows the rules of all affairs. Exciting in the beginning before you know every little fault you can’t see because you haven’t been following them for years, living through all the highs and lows.

Try to focus on the positive in your real committed basketball relationship instead of the negative. Chris Rock has a hysterical monologue about recycling old love into new love. So next time you see one of these new hot teams sashaying, fast breaking, and basically capturing your attention and turning your head, you got to turn back to your old love and recycle that feeling into new love.

I always remember when I fell in head over heel in love with the Pistons and pro basketball in general. Fairly recently. I was living in Hawaii and there was a sports junkie living in the hostel I was living in who followed all sports, PTI, ESPN like it was a religion. He was a Laker fan and I started watching the playoffs with him. It really was love at first sight for me. And even in the very very beginning it drove me crazy when they went on shooting droughts. :frusty: So how can I complain really? I knew that this was a feature of their team and it was explained to me that it’s hard to play really hard defense and offense at the same time.

So no one ever promised me a rose garden with these Pistons and just like true love, it felt like they picked me and not the other way around. Silly, but so is being a fan really.

That said, I'd like to confess that the Baby Bulls are presently making a run for my heart. :)

Kimberly in Seattle

19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Re: griffin...the scarlet letter indeed!

You're easy AuraK, a least make them win a playoff serious before you start giving them treats.

20. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

TheeTFD--my Baby Bulls crush

I don't know that I can resist that sweet perfect high arc of Ben Gordon's shot. :eyebrows: It's even prettier than Ray Allen's. I'm vulnerable right now because my man RIP is in trouble. As long as I don't start doing research on them, I'll be ok. Right now I'm watching a video of Bulls/Heat game 1. Oooh la la! But I'm Standing by My Man!:nod: