The really sad thing - Fixing this team wouldn't be that hard

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Feb 10, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

Head coach. Lionel Hollins. In the NBA today, there's Poppovich. There's retired legends who probably aren't coming back. There are a half-a-dozen or so pretty good coaches. And then there's about 20 guys who don't make a difference or suck. Lionel Hollins is one of those half-dozen. He wants to coach here (for some reason!?). Players respect him. He's defensively oriented. He's already had small-market success. He's good enough. Just hire him.

Roster.
    1) Trade Greg Monroe for a pick high enough to draft Marcus Smart.
    2) Please, please, please finish the season poorly enough to keep our pick ~ draft Gary Harris.
    3) Use the money you were going to use to resign Monroe to sign Rudy Gay.
    4) Use the remaining money/MLE/LLE to sign a backup center, like Spencer Hawes.

C: A. Drummond, *S. Hawes
    PF: J. Smith, T. Mitchell, J. Jerebko
    SF: *R. Gay, K. Singler, G. Datome
    SG: *G. Harris, K. C-Pope
    PG: *M. Smart, B. Jennings, W. Bynum

...Monroe at the 4 was just as bad as Smith at the 3. Now everyone's in position and you've moved Monroe for not one, but two talented players (through the acquired draft pick and saved cap space). Rudy Gay's gonna draw a lot of ire from you posters. But look. He's a lot like Josh Smith. Is he a flawed player? Of course he is. Is he about the best NBA FA a city like Detroit could ever hope to sign? Of course he is. Look at what he's doing this year, and at what he's done for most of his career. The dude is a talented player. A borderline All-Star. A top-50 talent. He's young. He doesn't have any *major* problems. And he costs you nothing but cap space ~ ~ which certainly wouldn't have been spent on anyone any better anyways.

...I don't know how much you guys have watched Marcus Smart. But he is damned good. I'll let you read the draft bio for yourselves - Marcus Smart | NBADraft.net. To me, he is quite simply everything Rodney Stuckey could have been (with a different brain and heart).

...Then there's Gary Harris - Gary Harris | NBADraft.net. Simply put: A deadly outside shooter with the size and athleticism to survive in the NBA as a starting two-guard (to not be a defensive liability).

...So we've got a super high-tempo PG now. The emerging best two way big man in the league, who can also really run. A super talented two-way 4 who is incredible on the run. A super talented three who fills it up and runs a little as well. A knock down kick-out two to spread the court out and keep the defense honest. Jennings with some instant offense off the bench (Smart can definitely play the two). KCP, we'll see what the hell he becomes. Singler gives you okay minutes. I really like Mitchell's potential to do the same (perhaps a little more). Spencer Hawes is an excellent backup center, all-around, who still has a lot of upside IMO.

Depending on what happens with LeBron, I think that's either the 2nd or 3rd best team in the East. And that's a good start.
  2. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

No Rudy Gay here man.. take a look how teams are better without him like Toronto.

I rather grab Dante Exum than Smart or Garry Harris. (I'm not saying Smart or Harris aren't good. I'm saying Exum is better in my eyes.)
  3. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I stopped reading at Rudy Gay.

No one is going to give up a top 8 pick from Moose
    We will be bidding against ourselves for Rudy Gay who will go back to chuck city as soon as he comes here.
    Spencer Hawes is no better than Jorts

Yeah, his 32% from the college 3 just screams Ray Allen to me.
  4. blueadams

Maybe. Rudy Gay would be a fine addition though.
  5. blueadams

I like Hawes a lot.

Harris has to carry his team. Spot up shooters should never do that. Takes too many contested threes. His game translates to the NBA quite well as a secondary scoring option, though.
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I stopped reading at "The really sad thing".
  7. linwood

linwood All-Star

Yeah, me too. It just seemed like whatever this thread is about would be a real bummer. No thanks!
  8. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

I'm not saying Hawes is bad. I think he is a fine player. But we already have a 5 who likes to shoot 3's. He has looked good in limited time this year so I don't know why we would want to pay Hawes $5m a year more to do the same thing.

I'm not denying that Harris has had to shoulder a large offensive load, or that he has talent. But he isn't the 3 point bomber you make him up to be and certainly isn't our savior. KCP also had to shoulder a large load, shot a better 3pt %, and his numbers have not translated perfectly. The grass is always greener on the other side.
    blueadams and round like this.
  9. blueadams

Who's the third best team in the SEC? It's a bad league..

Nothing wrong with having someone to push KCP, is there?

I never get too into the statistics (perhaps I should). When I see Harris take shots he should (the kind of looks he'll get as a 4th or 5th option in the league), he hits them more often than not. When I see him forcing, attempting to carry his team against great defenses that are focused on him, he misses.

I like his stroke. I like his release. I like how the ball soars. I like the kid. ?

..And Hawes is a dude I see with serious big man potential, inside out. Will he ever reach it? Probably not. But I like taking the flier. Seems like a good dude, too.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

The problem is ..fans use words like "want" "bring" , "trade" - like they 'd be owners of concentration camps or something and move their puppets around . Has nothing to do with real life, of course.
    brofmfa, linwood and J-Train like this.
  11. blueadams

What
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

13. max

max All-Star

so tired of hearing about tanking the season. :bigeyes:
    hitafreethrow and kpaav like this.
  14. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Same. We want to tank and get rid of Monroe who was a guy we got for sucking as well. I like the feeling I get after watching a W.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Phil Jackson...won't solve...a thing...here.
    He doesn't like the Pistons. He doesn't like Detroit. He'd become a BoT of a GM for us.
  16. max

max All-Star

Me too, I dont care if we finish 5 games under .500 and get swept in the 1st round. I want to see as many W's as I can get this season and make the playoffs. What's the point of tanking just to get another Caldwell Pope at #8.

Amazes me how the same teams tank every year and still suck every year - Its not a good model to follow. We got lucky with with Drummon,
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

The same teams suck because it's not about talent, it's about the quality of the organization. Strong organizations compete, year in, year out. San Antonio. Dallas. Los Angeles.

Dysfunctional organizations wallow in the mire. Detroit. Charlotte. Milwaukee.
    kpaav likes this.
  18. Nemo

I hear ya...but if he came...most unlikely...
    he does have his reputation to think about...
    So if he showed, it would be because he likes what he sees and can fix us.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Isn't la in last place?
  20. Nemo

Nah...Sacramento is a half game behind.
    The Lakers have the 6th worst point differential in the league though.