The race for the most ping pong balls

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I know the season is still early, but this is the direction the 2011-12 year will ultimately head for the Pistons (despite Jerebko's promise of playoffs). With the shortened 66-game season, most teams are nearly through a quarter of their schedule already. As of now, Detroit sits in 3rd place, just one game back:

1. Washington 2-12
    2. Charlotte 3-12, 0.5 GB
    3. Detroit 3-11, 1 GB
    4. New Orleans 3-10, Toronto 4-11, New Jersey 4-11, 1.5 GB

There are still a lot of teams in the hunt for the most ping pong balls.

[​IMG]
  2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That Charlotte game was painful to watch.
    We could of really done some damage in the standings if things would have turned out different.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

We pulled out the loss in Minnesota, so we have some momentum going. I remember the last time we got lucky with the ping pong balls. He dropped zero points and one board on us last night.
    Slippy likes this.
  4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yea, but he is as quick as a deer and he can drain 50 3-pointers in a row during warm-ups.
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

He just needs some mins to make up for all that time sitting on the bench.... another year or two and he'll really start to shine
  6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This is the most important thread of the last 7 years! Maybe we should reverse the records when we view them in this thread just to make ourselves feel better about it.

Combination Hunt Standings:
    1. Washington 12-2
    2. Charlotte 12-3
    3. Detroit 11-3

What's our magic number?

Let's not forget that getting the #2 or #3 spot is not nearly good enough. We'll be pushed back if some lucky team wins the lottery from behind us. We need to secure the top spot so that we are virtually guaranteed a top 3 pick. Our next GM will be new on the job, so we can't put the pressure on him to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the 4-7 range.
    Walter likes this.
  7. BallDon'tLie

Flip is an elite regular season coach.
    I'm not worried about the Wizzards at all. Flip will find a way to get them rolling to some wins. They started last night by beating OKC.
    ...For what it's worth, I can't imagine any sort of scenario this year that would give the Pistons even a remote opportunity to beat a team like the OKC Thunder.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's tough to lose games when you have offensive genius masterminding the game plan.
  9. Brap

Brap Starter

I think Charlotte is remarkably awful and hopeless. They scare me. Washington started out so horribly and then beat Okl City that I wonder if they are actually Fool's Gold Fool's Gold.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Let's hope Charlie G sits out all the games against the Wiz. He has been a killer against them since he's been here.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Sad to think that if the Pistons win 12-13 games out of 66, that they wouldn't automatically gain the top pick.
    If Flip leaves the Wizards before the halfway point, maybe the team will play up to their talent level.
    Pistons need some sort of revolt/scandal to assure a top pick. Don't think taynking will be enough.
  12. BallDon'tLie

Charlie must have had a significant emotional event that involved ping pong balls as a child.
    I'll never forgive him for his "Charlie All-Star" act late last season when it was clear that we needed some losses to better our situation in the draft. I realize that there aren't many pros that are going to lose on purpose but why can't Chucky Garbage channel the ghost of Bernard King when we actually want to win games.
  13. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Regression doesn't cut it when you are fighting it out with teams like Charlotte and Washington. The fourth quarter collapse yesterday was a good sign but this team needs a complete breakdown to reach the top spot.

The good news - Dumars have gathered the perfect pieces for a full season crackup with team spirit killers like Tay, low-skilled players without athleticism in Max and defensive abominations such as Garbage and Gordon.

The bad news - He signed them longterm.
    coynejeremy likes this.
  14. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

It's sad that we're playing for ping pong balls 15 games into the season. Whatever. This is the worst Pistons team I've ever seen in thirty years of following the team. The good news is that it should be a good draft, and C-Gar's contract might even be an asset next year. It certainly will be the year after that. J-Max and Rip's contracts come off the books after next year. I think that we'll be in good shape. I could see us maybe looking to trade for some quality young role players next season.

Until then, let the countdown for Drummond begin!
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

This is much better than the team in place when Joe took over. On that team, he didn't start with a single asset. Worse, that team had terrible veterans on terrible long term contracts.

With Monroe and Knight, we have two potentially great young assets. Stuckey could certainly be a long term core player on a great team. So could JJ. And I haven't given up on Daye, yet. Gordon could be an asset or traded for one. Tay could be traded in a couple years for a decent return.

This really is a much more asset-laden team than the one Joe took on when we lost Grant Hill.
  16. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Yep, Joe has done one heck of a job gathering this crew.
    BallDon'tLie and Nemo like this.
  17. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That is kind of an interesting point.

Let's look at the team Joe took on his first year. He was incredibly active that first year trading away Christian Laettner, Terry Mills, Jerome Williams, Eric Montross, and Grant Hill.

The only decent players he got back were Corliss and Ben.

He swung and missed on the draft with Mateen and picked Brian Cardinal in the second round who is now the longest surving Piston pick still in the NBA.

The first year team was IMO much, much better than our current team. They had Stack, Ben, Chucky, Joe Smith, Corliss, Coach Tablecloth, Dana Barros....and a guy who remains a Piston fan favorite, Jud Buechler. They didn't get Ratko Varda until the next year but still they would have beat this year's team 9 out of 10 times.

I think there is an expectation that Joe should be this active again right now. Where is the Joe Dumars that made all those moves?
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I hope they can at least show a video of Chaz shucking and jiving his way back upcourt after hitting his 7th 3 in the last game of the year when the Pistons lose out in the lottery.
  19. Brap

Brap Starter

When Joe started, Grant Hill announced after a short time that he was leaving us. Joe didn't have Ben Wallace on the roster. He convinced Orlando to take Grant in a sign and trade which netted Ben and Chucky. Really, his team when he took over didn't have Hill, Ben or Chucky. His first remarkable move was to get great value for a guy who technically was never on his team.

Seriously, we're much further than we were in the days when we didn't have Hill, and Wallace and Chucky were on another team's roster.
  20. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Looking at the past 10 years, here are the number of wins for the worst 3 teams.
    2010/11: 17, 19, 22
    2009-10: 12, 15, 25
    2008-09: 17, 19, 19
    2007-08: 15, 20, 22
    2006-07: 22, 24, 28
    2005-06: 15, 15, 17
    2004-05: 13, 18, 18
    2003-04: 21, 23, 25
    2002-03: 17, 17, 24
    2001-02: 21, 21, 23

This averages to:
    Worst record - 17
    2nd - 19.1
    3rd - 22.3
    Top 3 (worst) - 19.4

Extrapolated (interpolated?) for a 66 game season it makes:
    Worst record - 13.7
    2nd - 15.4
    3rd - 17.9
    Top 3 (worst) - 15.6

After 15 games our win percentage is 20% which is on track for 13.2 wins so we are right on schedule.