The origin of the Vancouver Cannuckians name

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

For those who wondered...

What’s a Canuck? Mystery behind Vancouver’s hockey moniker - Puck Daddy - NHL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

To counter that iconic U.S. political cartoon, Canadian editorial cartoonists began using the image of "Johnny Canuck," an amiable blue-collar lunk-head who stood up to Uncle Sam's bullying (even if he wasn't depicted as the sharpest saw in the forest). In 1935, the term crossed over into hockey for the first time. The Moose Jaw Canucks played in the Southern Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League. The name would be used by the franchise in different leagues through 1982.

So that's how the Vancouver Canucks got their name … which brings us to one last question: Is "Canucks" a derogatory term?
    Some dictionary definitions cite "canuck" as being offensive slang to a certain group of people. Are the Vancouver Canucks actually the Washington Redskins of the NHL? Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau addressed that question in a letter to columnist William Safire in 1977:
    "As with all slang, and especially that of nationality, the implications of the word vary a great deal according to the context and the intent of the speaker or writer….Many Canadians feel ["Canuck"] refers to all Canadians, some believe it is Eastern Canadians, other that it is French Canadians, while the majority have rarely heard it used in any context…..Whether or not you committed an ethnic slur (in using it) would depend entirely on the way the word was used…..To me, a slang term applied to a nationality by a person of a different nationality could, under certain conditions, be construed as a slur."

*Now you guys know that I mean it affectionately when I use the term...although the lunk-head and trying to stand up to the U.S.A. guys (awww...how cute) parts may appear to apply to [STRIKE]Rascoe and Jummerskull[/STRIKE] certain members on this board, but I assure you that is purely coincidental.*
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I posted this info on the Red Wings playoff thread already.......:stirthepot:
  3. Darth Tater

Sorry nemo. I almost posted it there myself. I would have seen yours if I had decided to do so.

Would one of the mods kindly kill this thread and move my post to the appropriate thread? :MusicBigGrin: I nominate Laimbeer. He enjoys and is experienced in killing my threads.
  4. Nemo

Actually...It was a good idea for YOU to give this topic its own thread. After all, you like to [STRIKE]pick on[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]insult[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]tease[/STRIKE] razz our Canadian brethren...:)
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I like this thread.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know what this says about me, but the above is one of the funniest things I've ever read.

Their symbol of national self worth was slow?
  7. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I don't think I've ever actually heard a Canadian say the word Canuck unless it was about the hockey team. Actually, I don't really hear ANYONE use the term outside of the hockey team, besides Tater.

I don't find the term derogatory in the least. I don't really care either way about it to be honest.

Out of curiosity, do Americans ever refer to themselves as Yanks or Yankees? Is that considered derogatory in the U.S.?
  8. Nemo

A Yankee is considered a northerner in the United States.
    I guess the people in the south probably referred to themselves as rebels.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Brits call Americans Yankees or Yanks. Like Nemo says, southerners call northerners Yankees, but noone else in the US really uses the term from my experience.
  10. Darth Tater

Yankee. Derogatory? Good question.

I had never really thought about it. I've never been called a "Yankee" to my knowledge and I would certainly never take offense to it (unless you meant I was a fan of the baseball team...thank goodness nobody used that one in fantasy baseball).

Now, I was thinking after you mentioned this that maybe back in the days of the civil war it was used derogatorily. It looks like it was used in that way by the confederate soldiers. But I don't know that anyone really cared.

The urban dictionary and other sources seem to indicate that it is derogatory. But you know, it means nothing to me. Just some dandy guy (or little raspy voiced duck) walking around with a feather or macaroni in his cap or something like that.

Urban Dictionary: yankee

Their are three types of yankees:
    1)Yankee-Someone who was born and still lives in the north.
    2)Damn Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions on moving back up north.
    3)GD Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions of staying in the south.

Bottom line is that I [STRIKE]had really wanted to offend Jammer so since I didn't I need to find some other term to use that offends him[/STRIKE] had no intention of offending anyone. I don't think I did because those unfortunate enough to be born a Cannuckian don't seem to care. They have too many other things to worry about such as making candles to get them through six months of darkness, trying to figure out how to grow "iceberg lettuce" through the snow in their front yards, and trying to find a polar bear willing to "cuddle up" to them in their shanties to help them through those cold winter months (and summer months too).

God bless the Cannuckians.

[​IMG]
  11. jammertime

Trying to figure out?

Please, we can grow it in our sleep. Where do you think ICEBERG lettuce comes from?

Damn Yankee.
  12. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

We invented iceberg lettuce to divert the attention of polar bears while we collected penguin eggs. Damn yankees and damn canucks.
  13. Nemo

i thought they grew Iceberg lettuce in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver during the NHL off season...in those arenas........
  14. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

You mean during the postseason?
  15. Nemo

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
  16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nice GW goal by Burroughs 11 seconds into OT....it was all him on that one.

Canuckians now up 2-0
  17. Darth Tater

Yeah, that's great! Go Cannuckians.
  18. jammertime

That's only true in Toronto. They're never in the postseason.
  19. Nemo

I miss the gondola......
  20. Nemo