1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Official Tigers Magic Number thread

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by Darth Tater, Sep 16, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Tigers up 10-2 top of the 5th.

"ARE WE THERE YET?" :)

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Too bad we don't get to play the Royals in the Playoffs.

3. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

and too bad the twins open a 4 game series with them today...we definitely need to keep this mini-roll going all the way to the final bell.

4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Dang lets hope the Royals have some pride and take at least two from the Twins.

Either that or lets hope the Sox don't lay down and take at least two from the Twins next weekend.

Definitely if the bats keep rolling, the pitching should do it's job, and not only a dvision crown is a reality but a definite win in the first round at least:pray:

5. detteam

detteam All-Star

Fair-is-fair...at least we get KC at home for the last 3...and Minnie gets Chicago. On a low note...all remaining games are at home for the Twins (like ours) with the best home record in baseball...and the Sox are 38-37 on the road this season with all 6 of their remaining games on the road. Luckily...the Sox have an off day before their series with the Twins.

I see Minnie taking 5 of their last seven (maybe wishful thinking on my part)...meaning the Tigers would have to win 3 of their last six to tie Minnie for best record in the Central. Head-to-head the Tigers are 11-8 against the Twins...which I believe is the tie-breaker. 10 of the 19 games between D & M were at their place...Tigers 7-2 at home and Twins 6-4 at home.

Sorry for the stat loading...I haven't been this excited about baseball since fall 87! :)

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Good info. Thanks Det. I'm excited too.

7. Darth Tater

How huge is today for the Tigers?

Magic number is at 3 with 4 to go.

Tigers finish with the Jays today and then on to play the Royals who have 99 losses and are trying to avoid 100.

Twins finish with the Royals today and then move on to the White Sox who quit playing a few days ago.

So if the Tigers can squeak by the Jays, regardless of how the Twins fare, or if the Twins lose to the Royals regardless of the Tigers results against the Jays this afternoon, the Tigers would only need two wins of three in their last series. OR, they would only need one win if the Sox can steal one from the Twins.

Reaching the magic number of two (not two Tigers wins, necessarily) is almost a sure thing with 3 games to go.

But...if the Tigers lose today and the Twins win, (which I fear will be the case...Toronto is playing hard for 2nd place against the Bosox)...the magic number remains at three with 3 to go. That means the Tigers would need to sweep the Royals (don't see it happening) if the Twins sweep the White Sox (They'll take at least two, you gotta imagine).

Yeah, today isn't crucial, but it's huge, I think.

8. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

nothing like crappy pitching, fielding, and hitting in the pneultimate reg. season series to make you nervous about next week...

9. LA Dre

Gulp ! part one has happen as the Tigers did lose again with shoddy pitching and defense. They will definitely need to sweep the Royals this weekend to grab the crown, IMO otherwise a meeting with those Damn Yankees in the first round:doh: :nailbiting:

10. bezeach

bezeach First Round Draft Pick 1x Fantasy Champion

They lost 8-6, I'm hoping the Twins lose tonight...

11. bezeach

Looks like the Twins might actually lose, there down 1-0 in the bottom of the 8th. Come on Royals!

12. LA Dre

The ninth inning of the Twins-Royals game was a ball buster for the Tigers and they were force to sit & watch their possible division crown go down the drain.

Royals load the bases with no outs, 4th batter up swings on the first pitch into a short infield pop-up. Next batter grounds into a double play to end the inning. Instead of some insurance runs for a victory and to keep the Tigs in 1st place, the royals get zilch:(, Bottom of the ninth, first two batters out with ease. next up is Mr. Clutch, Joe Mauer who after two pitches slams one over the wall to tie the game. Even here in California I could here a loud SH,,,:tape2:,,t coming from the fans in the City of Detroit
    We all know the results, Twins win in the 10th and now are tied with the Tigs and smelling the finish line....:help:

13. bezeach

Tigers lose 9-7 in extra innings against the Royals. They practically gave the game away. The Twins lost 4-3 to the White Sox. No damage done.

14. Darth Tater

Twins got a 3 run blast in the 9th but lost 6-3.

A Tigers victory tonight and it is all over.

Magic Number is 1 despite last nights choke job.

15. bezeach

The Tigers need to start to take advantage of the Twins losing, and tonight is the perfect night to wrap it all up. The Tigers have been in the division lead for a long time and it would be a blow if they lost it. The Tigers have to get it going early tonight, score 11 runs in the first inning like they did to the Royals last series.

16. bezeach

The Tigers and Twins are remained deadlocked, both losing today. The tigers lost 9-6, in which Miner pitched a miserable game. He didn't even last one inning! It all comes down to tomorrow, so get ready and hope for a first place. :winner_first_h4h:

17. detteam

detteam All-Star

KC had 4 runs before Miner got his only out. I'm kinda scratchin my head as to why Leyland started him in the first place...we get a day or two off before the playoffs start AND Miner hadn't started a game since Aug 23. :confused:

18. LA Dre

The Tiger pitchers gave up 33 runs and 66 hits in the last four losses/games. :swear2: I guess they are ready for the playoffs. :yield:

Looks like the say wanted their fans to sweat this one to the last inning of the season. :nailbiting:

Only a masterful pitching performance from both the starter and the bullpen can salvage the division crown and their hold on first .

They have gotten sum runs and could have won all four games but untimely hitting (especially by Pudge) has left several runners stranded and out them in the winner take all predicament with the Twins. The Sox have stood up these past couple of games, maybe they should be the team going to the post season instead of Tigs and Twinkies

19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Led the central til the very last day
    Pitchings sucked, but we're still in play
    Off to Yankee town in a couple days
    Can NY win? No freakin way!

Sorry...super got me going :)

20. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, what a finish to the regular season. Down to extra innings in the last game of the season to decided it.