1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The next coach of the Detroit Pistons is...

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, Jun 6, 2011.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

I've long speculated that Bad Bill must've snapped him in the ass with a damp towel a few too many times lol

2. detteam

detteam All-Star

Lawrence Franks? No, thanks. I'd rather hire his doppelganger.

Hiring a guy that started a season 0-16 and got canned in-season is not the ass-kicker this team needs.

3. G-man

G-man Starter

Adrian Dantley

Interesting story out of Denver yesterday in that the Nuggets let go one of Joe Dumars best buddies, assistant coach Adrian Dantley.

For those that weren't around, AD was JD's mentor and team buddy before he got ousted for Zekes buddy Mark Aguirre. Dantley might make an interesting bigmans coach on our pine. Lets see if his name comes up anywhere in the next couple days.

here's the piece;

Tomasson: Adrian Dantley not coming back
    Andrew Fienstein SB Nation

Courtesy of our friend Chris Tomasson, Hall of Famer Adrian Dantley’s eight-year run as a Nuggets assistant coach appears to be over.
    [​IMG]
    By Chris Tomasson

Adrian Dantley on Sunday confirmed a New York Post report that he has been let go. His contract, expiring at the end of this month, won’t be renewed for next season.

"Oh, yeah, I’m done,’’ Dantley said. "(Nuggets coach George Karl) fired me Friday.’’

Messages left Sunday for Karl and Nuggets executive vice president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri were not immediately returned.

"I got fired because I didn’t rotate on the bench,’’ said Dantley, who was regarded as Karl’s lead assistant and filled in for Karl for the final 1 ½ months of the 2009-10 season when the head man was battling a form of throat cancer.

NBA teams are allowed to have three assistants sit on the bench, with others having to sit behind it. Dantley, who always had sat on the bench, said Karl approached him early last season and requested he rotate along with other assistants either sitting on or behind the bench.

Dantley said he sat behind the bench for the final 67 games of the regular season and during the playoffs and wouldn’t rotate to the front of the bench. Nuggets assistants Chad Iske, John Welch and Melvin Hunt sat on the bench for those games.

"I didn’t rotate,’’ said Dantley, an NBA star forward from 1976-2001 who was named in 2008 to the Hall of Fame. "I wasn’t going to rotate. If they (other assistants) want the publicity to sit up front, I don’t need the publicity… I got no problem not being seen on TV and sitting at the back of the bench.’’

Dantley would not single out any specific assistants. The New York Post reported "one or lower-level assistants’’ suggested the rotation to Karl.

"This had to do with a whole lot of backstabbing,’’ Dantley said. "I got fired because I wouldn’t rotate. And people felt uncomfortable (about that).’’

Dantley went 11-8 in games Karl missed late in the 2009-10 season due to cancer. With Dantley at the helm, the Nuggets were upset 4-2 in the first round of the playoffs to Utah.

The Jazz won despite not having injured starters Andrei Kirilenko and Mehmet Okur. Dantley said he didn’t believe his ouster had anything to do with the job he did in then leading the Nuggets. Dantley is in the process of packing and leaving Denver.

Tomasson: Adrian Dantley not coming back - Denver Stiffs

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I read the Dantley thing this morning. Really odd. You just know something else is going on behind all this. How embarassing for the Denver organization to fire a coach because they couldn't all figure out where to sit.

But on the other hand, if AD can coach the post half as well as he played out of it, run, do not walk, to hire him.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Dumars doesn't seem focused on any one candidate. I make this guess because he seems willing to interview ANYBODY. Way too many candidates in the mix. My guess is that he shoulda been planning for this hire for the last 6 months, and had a much smaller list of possibilities. I figure he'll interview Jay Leno next...or maybe Tim Allen....:)

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wonder if Joe will give AD a "courtesy" interview??

7. G-man

G-man Starter

Nene

Another good reason to take a look at AD as a bench coach is his strong relationship with Nuggets center Nene who is a free agent.

jd's previous work with denver could pay off. maybe a sign-n-trade with denver isn't that far-fetched.

8. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Sorry if I missed it. Does anyone know what the timeline is to hire a coach (whether the official word or speculation on your part)?

9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

After the lockout?

10. max

max All-Star

i wonder if they asked him about that year during the interview in which he "blew away" Piston management.

11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Re: Nene

Well, that means we have to make sure that Bill Laimbeer at least gets a Piston bench coach assignment so that we can get the inside track both on K-Love and Darko when they become free agents....or when the new coach gets fired....:)

12. G-man

G-man Starter

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't think it had much to do with him refusing to rotate.

14. G-man

G-man Starter

though as a piston, it was his failure to pass the ball that was used as the primary reason he got moved for aguirre.

a failure to rotate.

could be a pattern developing here..

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Somebody check the wear patterns on his tires...

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Kirk Gibson is Detroit's MLB equivalent of Bill Laimbeer. That approach is working for the D-Backs so far.

17. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

20. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Or you could say that the team was so intimated by him that they felt threatened.

Expectations, in the beginning of the season, revolved a great deal between roles, projections and accomplishments...sometimes known as accountability.

If more was less, then insecurity builds from within.

Frank can play any game that a broad philosophy can throw at him.

Generally, I would assume (and notice the severity of the reaction) he has three major components toward a philosophy of life that was his rock: knowledge, reality and values.

Frightens the hell out of most people.

Especially, at the eighth grade level...those that become millionaires, because of athletic gifts that are repetition and the quick reaction against something...that always lacks consistency.

The only successful coaches that ooze out of the mud of sameness, is a genetic development of appendage adaptability. The great coaches have always had a keen eye on temperatures and the barometer that understands the sudden drops from tacit shifts that are brought from the shifting winds that are known as life cycles. And each player has his geographic map of altitudes and valleys.

As of the 2007/2008 season the average NBA players experience which can be likened to their career length was 4.71 years.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_long_is_the_average_career_of_an_NBA_player#ixzz1QjFk1L9E

Yes, Frank "wowed" them.