The Monroe-Drummond Tandem

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Jan 1, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What if Monroe and Drummond's games simply don't mesh? Then what? I'm assuming that you trade Greg Monroe, but for who and for what?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Reggie Evans. Then we get all the rebounds.
  3. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great !!!!!!
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not sure, but I think it is good that they're 33 games in and we still haven't really seen them play together to get that answer. Kyle Singler is having a great year though so that is really exciting.

This is the same BS Let's pimp out the basement while the main living space is in shambles mentality that led the Pistons to signing Gordon and CCG to come off the bench when they had no starters.
  5. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think Dre can play with ANYBODY! But I think this poor man's version Dwight Howard's Orlando squad might be the way to go. 3 Shooters and a penetrating-dishing PG who can shoot the rock and toss a lob. The PF who plays next to Dre should be a solid perimeter shooter (BoT), a solid rebounder- to the tune of 7-8 rebounds per game (Greg Monroe) and a good post defender (Maxiel) so that Dre can play off the ball and block shots. This was the beauty of Wallace X's2. Sheed, KG, even Lamar Odom would be the perfect front court mate to pair up with Drummond, not now, but in their primes. I think Greg Monroe can work, but he HAS to become a PF with a deadly accurate perimeter shot; and he doesn't even have to stretch the floor all the way out beyond the arc, but he has to have LeMarcus Aldridge/Z-Bo type range. Unfortunately Greg's post defense and overall defense is AWFUL! But it's better than Charlie Villanueva's soooo.......... who knows?
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree with this. I'm not sure how you transition to this style of play. Would a shoot first Knight, Singler and Tay allow it to work with Monroe and Drummond to start?

I think I am leaning towards taking Max out of the rotation so CCG and Daye can play.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Knight can't run it. They trap him on the pick and roll because he's not quick enough to turn the corner on the hedging big, his handle and passing are also too weak to hit all the open players.
  8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Moose is a better passer than Knight.
  9. Walter

I think Moose-Drum will work. There was one game, don't remember which one, where Moose threw two alley-oops to Drummond. It was a thing of beauty.

What Moose/Drum needs is a player similar to Rip Hamilton in his prime. Park Moose on the high post with the ball and have your SG run around like an injured rabbit. Either the SG gets loose, Moose gets an opening and drives or Dre catches the ball and dunks.
    del and roscoe36 like this.
  10. copper

copper Bench Warmer

moose has been making some terrible passes that have led to turnovers recently.I think he is a better passer though but he has not looked good recently
  11. Walter

Here are some stats:
    - Moose had the most assists of any center in the league
    - He's ranked #4 in APG (behind Noah, Marc Gasol and Horford)
    - He leads all centers in TOs
    - He ranks #11 among centers in AST/TO ratio
  12. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

It's a good question really. For it to be the combo we really want, Monroe really needs to be a better defender and develop that outside shot, but I'm beginning to wonder if he ever will. He is still sub-par from the free throw line and passes up sooooo many open shots from a range he should be hitting.

How about Drummond, Aldridge and Hamilton 2.0? Yes please.
  13. Walter

I agree that he's passing up way too many open shots and he needs to develop a reliable mid-range jumper. But I don't agree that he's a subpar FT shooter. He shot 62% in his rookie year, 74% last year and is hitting 70% this year. For a big man that ain't bad at all. Among centers, he is ranked
    - 13th in FT%
    - 3rd in FTM total
    - 2nd in FTA
    - 5th in FTM per game
    - 4th in FTA per game

Just to put it in perspective, his FT shooting is
    - better than Kevin Love, Carlos Boozer, Blake Griffin, Kenneth Faried, Josh Smith
    - about the same as Brook Lopez, Gortat, Tyson Chandler
    - worse than: Marc Gasol, Big Al, Bosh, Noah, KG, Robin Lopez, Pekovic, Cousins, Zaza, Sideshow Bob

I think the two big glaring problems in Monroe's game are:
    1- The reluctance to shoot jumpers
    2- Turnovers (he's #4 in the league in total TOs and #10 in TO per game).

If he takes care of #1 alone, it would be a tremendous upgrade.

One thing nobody seems to point out is how good defensively Moose/Drummond will be together. First of all, you've got size. Secondly, their approaches to defense complement each other well. Moose is not an enforcer that'll block shots - his defense relies a lot on quick hands, as is noticeable in his steals. So, he's better off defending outside the paint. But, when he's in the game with Maxiell, Max is staying with the PFs and Monroe is the one "guarding the paint" which he is not suited for at all. If you watch Monroe closely on defense, he actually does ok with 1:1 defense. His help defense is horrible going on non-existent; which is where Drummond excels.
    Slippy likes this.
  14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Monroe has turned it over 5, 3 and 4 times his last 3 games. He has an assist/turnover ratio of 1:1. He's a terrific passer, but he really needs to slow it down and make better decisions with the ball.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I can't remember who clowned me when I brought up Scouting Reports, the person couldn't understand what in the world a Scouting Report had to do with ANYTHING. Teams have adjusted to Greg Monroe and they are playing him totally differently, they are playing him for the pass and the drive while daring him to take the perimeter jump shot....why.......Scouting Report!
  16. copper

copper Bench Warmer

his turnover are a case of him trying to do too much, he has the drive and he is being dared to shoot the jumper of course. But his turns have been him trying to force the issue with a pass in traffic, or him not paying attention to the defender when he seems to get his pocket picked at least 2 times a game just by not being aware of his surroundings.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm not worried about Monroe's D when next to Drummond. Neither guy fouls, they are both strong, they position well, and they have spectacular hands on rebounds and steals. Also, Drummond is quick enough to guard the super athletic PF's if there is a bad matchup for Monroe.

A guy like Villanueva would give them problems though...

On Monroe's turnovers- I'm also not worried. He's out there in a traffic jam where the PG isn't loosening anything up. Add Drummond and a PG and you'll see his turnovers way down I would imagine. Monroe is gambling on passes, which probably isn't a bad strategy given that they when it works it results in points in the paint.
  18. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Agreed. It's why it is imperative that Monroe develop that jumper. Cousins plain anticipated his spin move at the basket and stripped the ball from him last night (players are also often just waiting for him under the basket to take the charge). At the same time, he's also not necessarily making good decisions with the ball (missing wide open teammates to force his drives, forcing the pass which is then picked off, etc.) Him standing wide eyed at the foul line holding the ball out just waiting for it to get tipped away is :crossed: too.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Cousins has some great hands on the strips and on loose balls. He was making Maxiell look like a klutz in there.
  20. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Money doesn't shoot jumpers due to the fact that you look pretty stupid yelling AND-ONE after making a simple 10 footer.
    alexa032 and linwood like this.