THE MESSAGE

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by OLD SKOOL HQ, Jun 3, 2010.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

"Don't push me cuz I'm close to the ...edge..I'm tryin not to LOSE my head...hehh ha hh huh..It's like a jungle sometimes...It makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under........." - Melle Mel

Last night, I had a chance to see something never seen by any other Tigers fan in Detroit sports history. How special is a perfect game? Baseball has been played OVER 100 years....There are 162 games played by ONE team every year...There are 30 teams playing those games...That equates to over 480,000 games in MLB history...AND ONLY 20 PERFECT GAMES HAVE EVER BEEN THROWN and NONE by a Detroit Tiger pitcher!!

The big issue that sets this game apart from any game ever played is that NEVER in MLB history has a game been decided by the LAST play.
    There was NO review. NO conferrrence by the umps. NO phone call from the commissioner. This is what's wrong with baseball.

BUT, we can learn something from this....if we choose to.

Yesterday, a pitcher showed us the value of sportsmanship. The value of dignity. The value of garce. Armando Galarraga's response to becoming one of the 21 most perfect pitching performances was a lesson we can teach our families and acquaintences.

Yesterday, we had a man show the value of humility. The value of repentence. The value of sincere remorse. Jim Joyce did what I always hoped to see from anyone who was caught in a compromising decision and it's a lesson that I will teach my children. I'm calling it 'JimJoycing'.
    Next time I blow it, give me that ability to call myself out first.

I hope BP Oil, our politicians, the Tiger Woods, Roger Clemons, Barry Bonds and the Mark McGwire's of the world all swallowed their spit a little bit last night.

BTW, my wife can not locate a letter with a cashier's check made out to one of our debtors for $1200.00. No one can cash it, mind you, but the name on the check,if they find it. It had a stamp on it ,so we are hoping whoever fond it, just mails it. My wife feels terrible.

I showed her the replay of Joyce's blown call.

We all make mistakes.

A human example owns up to it. A better example is forgiving about it.

2. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Very well said Skoo!

In the end, I think more will come out of that game last night than a perfect game thrown by a MLB pitcher. Hopefully, a lot of people in various walks of life will learn from this. Perhaps this perfect game was made to be even more "perfecter" from this mistake.

...now if you'll excuse me, I have some JimJoycing to do for forgetting to return a phone call from a client yesterday.

3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

At least Jerry Hairston got a clean single.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good post. It's hard finding good examples of garce. This was truly one of them.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Wonderful post HQ. Thank you.

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

\

In the words of Facebook :thumb: La Dre likes this

8. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LMAO!!!!! Thats the way!!! :pound:

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

and it likes ya back!:)

11. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great post HQ!

It absolutely appals me that the umpire's family has received death threats from this.

No question that it absolutely SUCKS that he was robbed of a perfect game, but it's still just a GAME. For fans to make it personal is unacceptable.

12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There is another guy that lives in Toledo named Jim Joyce who is not this particular umpire. Apparently, his answering machine was littered with 40+ irate messages. He had to have his phone number changed.