The lefties

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by KGREG, Nov 7, 2013.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

While re-watching the game against the Pacers I noticed something.....we're starting three left handed players- Monroe, Smith and Jennings. What made me take special not is when we were struggling to to get into some simple offensive sets like a high pick and roll. Dre kept trying to set the pick on the wrong side and Jennings was getting all turned around as a result. Because of the lefties it almost flips the floor as to which side of the floor becomes our strong side to operate from. Could this cause some issues? Not sure......

What I am sure of is......Smith and Jennings HATE to go right and both are definitely much, much less effective going right....Moose, to his credit, can attack and finish with either hand. I the inability of Smith and Jennings to go right is going to cause us problems.

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I thought about that issue the other night too....wondering if it was an advantage for us or not? We will have to play this one out and see if our coaches are smart enough to exploit it to our advantage or as K says is this something that opposing teams will figure out and be able to shut down the effectiveness of Smith and Jennings. Probably no biggie at all, but one of those things that make you go hmmm??:hmmm:

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If anything, having a lefty or two works to the advantage of the offense. The natural tendency for players and teams is to stop the right-handed drive first. At the NBA level, I don't think it's a big advantage, though.

4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Whenever I check a lefty in pickup hoops, it takes me a second to figure out whats up.
    ...I'm no Walter Herrmann that's for sure.

5. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Heck, I still haven't figured out how to use my left handed pliars I accidentally got for Christmas.

linwood likes this.
  6. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

problem is that Brandon Jennings always finishes with his left, no matter if he goes right or left. That makes him pretty weak when attacking the rim and poses a severe limitation of his offensive game.

KGREG likes this.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Eggs-Zactly!!!

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I think you can say the same thing for at least 70% of all NBA players.
    I notice that the majority of NBA dudes lay it up with their dominant appendage and contort their bodies to shield the defense. I really take notice when a guy uses his off-arm. I noticed that LeBron has really improved at doing this since he came into the league.

Against Indiana, I specifically remember BJ7 go righty on a sick little And-1 mixtape style hesitation dribble move that he did in the 3rd quarter.

My high school coach used to hassle us about using our off-hands.
    I crashed my BMX bike and hyperextended my elbow when I was about 15. Since then, my lefty layup is weak. It sorta feels the way you feel when you try and throw a baseball with the opposite arm.