The Ideal Pistons Team

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Oct 20, 2005.

1. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

We've been struggling with the current roster... there's good depth but it's not properly balanced.

I got to thinking about creating the ideal team... a team that can contend this year and many years down the road.

I think we tend to fall into the trap of thinking only our players are the right solution... aren't there better players available that can be obtained to fit our core roster?

Here's the "dream" scenario that I'd like to see happen:

Prince is re-signed

A trade of Arroyo, Glynny(signed for filler), Hunter, Amir or Jmax to Atlanta (Joe keeps the player with highest ceiling).

We receive Harrington and Delk(expiring)
    Atlanta will lose both players anyways...they'll except prospects in return

Delk is a very good defender with excellent range.
    Harrington eventually becomes our starting post up SF. He's a good defender.

Delk's expiring money is used to help sign Ben & Prince.

This year:
    C- Ben, Darko, Davis
    PF- Sheed, Dice, Darko, Jmax or A.J.
    SF- Harrington, Prince, Delfino, Dupree, Jmax or A.J.
    SG- Rip, Prince, Evans
    PG- Billups, Delk/Acker

2006/07
    We hold Harrington's rights and exceed other offers roughly 7M starting.
    We trade DD's expiring contract for a prospect.

Minny goes on a serious slide and KG finally reaches his patience limit

We trade Rip & Sheed for KG (it's a dream right?)
    Dupree is not resigned

Prince becomes our starting gaurd... giving us another ball handler to use CB off the ball more... he also gives us a height mismatch at SG.
    We become a great post up team

C- Ben, Darko, KG
    PF- KG, Darko, Dice, Jmax or A.J.
    SF- Harrington, Delfino, Jmax or A.J.
    SG- Prince, Evans, Delfino
    PG- Billups, Acker, MLE PG

Eventually (In a couple years) Darko becomes our starting Center and Ben backs up the PF/C position

Young... battle tested and built for the future

This thread is intended to see who has a good solution.... If you're interested put your GM hat on and think in "a better box".

How would you like to see the roster shaped for the future?

2. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Dont agree. I definently understand trading parts of our bench, but no way if i was joe d. i would trade parts of my starting 5. The only way that will happen is if a major injury happens, or when they get older and don't play as well.

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I like how you think Mercury, but I don't think I'm as sold on Harrington's game as you are. Why are you so high on him? In my opinion he's yet to live up to potential. You like a Harrington, Prince, Billups backcourt better than Prince, Hamilton, Billups?

4. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

Merc on KG

You're not the only one thinking about this, bud. So, know you're not alone. I hope the bench does great before the trade deadline to increase their value. I say if Darko can be included in that deal, Joe D should let it be known that it's possible. I know the Darko lovers will be all over me for this, but it was proposed in the summer, too. Darko + Delfino and maybe someone else for KG. I just don't see Minny going for Rip and an aging Sheed. If Detroit wants KG, they'll have to pony up, too.

5. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Harrington is someone I've focused on for the last couple years... what I like is that he's not affraid of contact... he'll go inside and finish... he's got a steady midrange shot... and he moves his feet well on defense...
    I just think we need more of a inside game... I really like Prince at SG... where he's an instant mismatch.
    Rip's great but I think a big lineup can do more damage... offense and defense.
    Not down on Rip at all... but as ggazoo says you gotta give up quality to get quality (KG)
    Just don't think our current lineup is better than KG, Harrington, Ben, Prince & Chauncey.
    Not that this will happen... but it's my dream team.:)

6. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

To everybody

Yes we have the best starting five in the NBA.

But eventually, I don't mean that it will happen this season, but it will. Just like it did with Grant Hill. Jerry Stackhouse. Somebody important to the team will get traded or go away for us to have a better (or worse, hope not) team.

The fact is Joe cannot forever work with the same core and stay with the salary situation that we have.

So Himat, we all know we have a great core and it's nice to dwell on the positive but reality is that we may see someone go. Merc just stated his "dream" team. But I also do not think that highly of Harrington's game. But I agree that their contracts are nice to have for their expirations.

If I had to have a dream team, keep the team the way it is. It is a dream right? :nod:

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

I was going back and forth on this one. Assuming it wouldn't hurt the current chemistry (it would certainly change it, but that could be a good thing) then I think you have to pull the trigger and do it. Seems like it would almost assure Detroit of an actual dynasty for the next 3 years or so.

I'd send Rip, Darko and Delfino even though I like them all and know there is a lot of potential there. Yeah. The more I think about it, the more I like it. That still might not be enough for Minny though, unless like you guys said they are really struggling and K.G. has had enough.

8. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Well I don't think it will be very soon when we'll have to make a big trade, at least 3 more years I think.

9. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Merc

I don't care too much for Tay as a 2. To me, he isn't offensive-minded enough to play a position that teams typically look to for a good deal of scoring. I'd rather have a shooter at that position.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

hi

Mercury, just plain no. Amir and Maxiell each have more upside vs. Harrington, with Maxiell most likely ahead of Harrington already.

Arroyo is our backup point. A very good assist guy, able to generate as much offense as Billups when you combine his assists and points (comparing each players best year so far, Arroyo wins out here though by just a bit.) Can Acker replace Arroyo. Possibly. But you got to see it actually happen before you trade away your backup point.

Finally, Delk is a 2 assist per game guy his whole career. Not what we want at point at all.

Now, I will agree though that if we can get Garnett (preferrably for just one of our starters though) it can't be a bad idea. Surprisingly though, with the new 25% rule in place, you will find it only takes Sheed and some more minor contracts, not another starter, to match KG's salary.

11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Merc,

I mulled this one over all day. I like Harrington as well, and thought he would have been a good trade acquisition prior to Darko's recent coming out.

Al has much more offensive game at only 24 years of age than 50% of the starting SFs in the NBA. At this point, he still has tons of upside with 7 seasons under his belt.

Too bad no one took you up on that.

I spent an hour scanning rosters and can't see a contract situation that matches our needs. Too many players have new deals this offseason, are overpaid, or on their last legs. That's not to say that there aren't a ton of players we could acquire to raise the talent of the squad.

I can see Joe moving PlayerX and a pick to acquire some immediate help, but again those guys are all locked up or in max deal territory. I like your idea and would offer Rip for Deng, Pargo and Gordon (if Detroit and Chicago can't make the grade by the deadline).

Deng is sometimes injured and Gordon has shown an inability to start effectively. Chicago would benefit from a steady SG (with veteran leadership and work ethic) in Rip which would allow Hinrich to return to PG. Detroit would get 3 lower salary players (and their Bird Rights) one of which is an athletic swingman, one could be waived (Pargo) and the other a pure gunner with 3 point range. We would also trim around 2 million off of the payroll.

It's important to remember that Darko is also coming up on the re-signing radar. We are going to need salary space to sign Ben, Darko and Tay over the next couple of seasons. Serious business indeed.

That's the best I could do on short time.

12. TBird

TBird First Round Draft Pick

Merc

Actually, what Micro said is fair (regarding the fact that no one took you up on your original question). My earlier post (I don't like Tay at the 2) doesn't really propose anything.

I guess I would like to see what we have first. With a new coach and a number of new (in terms of playing time) guys off the bench, I don't have a good feel yet for what to expect, and I think each proposed move should be a response to an observed weakness. Until I know what those are, I will withhold a response.

Can I get back to you later? :)

13. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Mercury, I would much rather make a trade to get Earl Watson & Battier but not at the expense of giving up Maxiel. He's a keeper.