The GEM of the '13 Draft - GIANNIS ADETOKOUBO

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 11, 2013.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I like our #38 pick. I think we could find a gem there.
  2. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Every Rod that we've selected has been a total dick.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  3. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Don't know about the rest but I'd take another Rod man or two :D
  4. BillLaimbeer

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Charlie is a scoring forward. We'll add the #8 too! and Stuckey!
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Count me in
  7. onedrop3

onedrop3 Second Round Draft Pick

8. onedrop3

onedrop3 Second Round Draft Pick

Most of the mocks have us taking Muhammad,Burke,Zeller,Olapido, or McCallum.I think all are good but. limited role players. I think we need to replace Prince.With all the great SF's in that 6-7.6-10 range of the NBA,James,Anthony,Deng,Pierce,George,Durant,and the lists will grow.Prince could hold his own with these guys.YOU BETTER BELIEVE POPPOVICH IS ALL OVER THIS GUY! So I agree with you 100% we need to take this kid with the #8 pick.What about Muscala- Bucknell with one of the 2's and McCallum- of Detroit Mercy with the other.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

^
    Are you Danny Ainge by chance?
  10. BillLaimbeer

Here are the draft picks that have the most "red flags" entering draft day:

A year ago, Jared Sullinger and Perry Jones III fell because of health concerns. DeMarcus Cousins slipped a couple of spots three years ago because of character concerns, and Lance Stephenson slid into the second round because of an abundance of red flags. The final verdict on all of those players as pros is yet to be written, but every year there are players who, for one reason or another, create consternation among some teams, and cause others to simply pass.

Having spoken with some decision-makers as we approach the NBA draft, here are 10 players who have raised concerns for NBA executives -- for a variety of reasons -- with anonymous quotes from pro guys on what has them worried.

1. Ben McLemore
    It's a dilemma that just about everyone in the top half of the lottery will face. Is McLemore a potential superstar or a likely bust? His laid-back personality and recent off-court issues, in dealing with questionable people, have NBA folks concerned, and it has caused a lot of internal debate about whether to select the former Kansas star among teams drafting early. McLemore has the physical tools -- the athleticism and perimeter shooting stand out -- but it's the lack of a killer instinct and the off-court questions that could force him to drop.
    Quotable: "He's talented, but doesn't know how to play. He can't string good games together. Plus, he's got the wrong people around him."
    2. Ricky Ledo
    The Rhode Island native has no shortage of talent and a defined position at the two-guard spot. But his off-court issues scare NBA folks. He attended four different prep schools and didn't play a single game at Providence before deciding to bolt. He also hasn't been in peak condition at times during the evaluation process.
    Quotable: "There's so much trouble in his background, he's not worth it."
    3. Tony Mitchell
    Once regarded by some as a lottery pick, the former Missouri signee, who spent the past two years at North Texas, is now a fringe first-rounder. He has an NBA body and athleticism, but his skill level is sub-par -- same story with his effort. He had one game this past season in which he attempted only one shot in 25 minutes, and another in which he was held scoreless in 32 minutes against FIU. That's hard to imagine given his skill level.
    Quotable: "Too many question marks. I definitely wouldn't take him in the first round and give him guaranteed money. He doesn't play hard and doesn't play smart."
    4. Archie Goodwin
    Came into Kentucky with a ton of hype, but most UK fans weren't all that upset to see him bolt after a mediocre freshman season. He showed he couldn't play the point early in the season when Ryan Harrow left the team. He then struggled with his feel for the game at the two-guard spot.
    Quotable: "I just don't trust him -- on or off the court. He's not a point guard, and even [John] Calipari had trouble figuring out how to coach him. I like his athleticism, but he will be a guy that will have to play a couple years down in the D-League. Probably a second-contract guy."
    5. Glen Rice Jr.
    He was in the doghouse throughout two different regimes at Georgia Tech and was ultimately booted from the program by current head coach Brian Gregory. He decided to go the D-League route and took advantage, putting up gaudy scoring numbers. However, there is still plenty of skepticism regarding the son of the former NBA player and Michigan star.
    Quotable: "I wouldn't waste a first-rounder on him. There's just too much scar tissue. If you need to add a shooter and already have a couple, he'll be fine. But if you're counting on him, it's not a good idea."
    6. C.J. Leslie
    Some put him in the same category as Tony Mitchell and that's probably justified. Both are ultra-athletic forwards, but both have too many question marks with their on-court IQ and concerns about their desire to play the game because of too much inconsistency.
    Quotable: "He's not that bad off the court, but the question is whether you can trust him on the court. He just doesn't make quality decisions."
    7. Shabazz Muhammad
    He was widely regarded as a high lottery pick coming into this past season, even by some as the front-runner to be taken No. 1 overall. However, he's a wing with average athleticism, a mediocre perimeter shot and sub-par defense, and his father has drawn plenty of negative attention. Muhammad does possess toughness, and rebounds extremely well on the offensive end for a guard. He's also putting in the work this offseason. But concerns remain.
    Quotable: "There's just too much -- whether it's with his jumper, his dad, his defense or his attitude. He's gone from the surest thing to maybe the biggest gamble in this draft."
    8. Kelly Olynyk
    The big Canadian came out of nowhere this season after redshirting a year ago, and became a first-team All-American. He dominated, but often it came in the WCC against inferior and diminutive opponents. His length -- or lack thereof -- along with sub-par athleticism are major worries at the NBA level. Not all are convinced the player Gonzaga recruited as a guard can become an effective NBA frontline player.
    Quotable: "Slow post moves, lack of athleticism, short arms. I think he will struggle against NBA athletes."
    9. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    He's a wild card, largely due to the fact that he was an unknown a year ago at this time and hasn't played against quality competition. However, the 18-year-old skilled small forward from Greece is intriguing because of his "upside," which is a word that NBA guys love. He's extremely thin (think Tayshaun Prince).
    Quotable: "The problem with him is there's no way he can play in the league for at least two years, so if you take him in the first round, you need to understand that. Plus, he's a complete wild card. No one knows what they are getting because no one has seen him enough."
    10. Victor Oladipo
    I am a huge fan of Oladipo, for how much he has improved and for his work ethic and personality. However, he's still a work in progress on the offensive end. Sure, he shot 44 percent from beyond the arc last season, but he made only 30 3s and many of them were uncontested. We need to stop the comparisons to D-Wade immediately.
    Quotable: "He's a small two-guard and that will negate his size and athleticism in the NBA. That was his advantage in college. He's also a streaky shooter."
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Blue had me with this cat when he put the gem in CAPS. That's big time.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  12. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Very nice write-up. I appreciate that, "Having spoken with some decision-makers," as a sly orientation for a trusted acceptance.

Can we say that this draft is a mile-wide-and-an-inch deep? Who does it favor? Certainly, those that have a deeper understanding of fit. In a sense, it holds true certain idioms: in this case, " the separation of wheat from the shaft (to select only that which is of value)." It is a rich field of Doppelgängers (Doppelgänger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in that all want separation from known duplicated
    images: they are more than duplicates (Blade Runner). Notice, from the first ten, only one is a big (Olynyk). Watch how they all file-in-line for what is not said.
  13. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Just like the word...just like the draft, I believe that some variations hold true. Our draft choice however will resemble the Images from Gilligan's Island.
  14. BillLaimbeer

If Joe D drafts in a similar manner as the last 3 years, the images will resemble this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

For some reason, I'm unable to see the middle image that you posted here in my office (got the dredded X).
    I HOPE you posted a picture of BK-7 getting housed by DeAndre Jordon. ...did you??? ...cuz if you did, THAT would be funny!
  16. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Meaning Maxiell STILL gets court time?
  17. BillLaimbeer

For some reason, my BK7 picture didn't show up. I will try it again:

[​IMG]
    McQuack and BallDon'tLie like this.
  18. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

#15 pick. Multiple "experts" proclaiming on national television that he's got as much potential as anyone in the league. Right or wrong, I stand by initial excitements and proclamations regarding him - - I think he's going to end up being one of the better NBA players from this draft.

- Blueadams (go ahead and quote me).
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  19. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

That totally changed your message.
  20. BillLaimbeer

LOL. Initially, I had a picture of BK7 dunking. When it didn't show up, I switched to this one to make BDL happy.
    Slippy and BallDon'tLie like this.