The GEM of the '13 Draft - GIANNIS ADETOKOUBO

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 11, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

I've made up my mind. This is who I want. Currently projected towards the end of the lottery. I fear he may be considered for the #1 overall pick by the time this thing actually happens.

Take a look at the Greek wing. Watch his highlight tapes. Giannis Adetokoubo | NBADraft.net. He's enormous. 6-10 with a 7-2 wing-span. Listed at 205 here, but appears to be much bigger; I'd guess around 220. Huge frame. Big shoulders. Plenty athletic enough. Looks like a major factor on the boards at any level. Does a lot of things down low offensively. Hits outside threes with confidence. Good passer. Great, calm, cool and collected ball-handler on the break. Takes it to the rim. Throws down. Lays up. Might be the gem of this draft.

Don't know much about the competition level I'm seeing here. But it looks at least comparable to mid-major NCAA-level play.

2. blueadams

For real. Draft this Greek. Amnesty Villanueva. Sign Mayo. Bring back Calderon (namely, to mentor BK). Find a coach. And we're good to go!

C: A. Drummond(19)..........V. Kravtsov(25)
    PF: G. Monroe(22)..........J. Jerebko(26)
    SF: G. Adetokoubo(19)..........K. Singler(24), K. Middleton(21)
    SG: O. Mayo(25)..........R. Stuckey(26), K. English(24)
    PG: J. Calderon(31) / B. Knight(21)

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

4. blueadams

Right. Forgot. All Euro's suck bc of Darko. I'm such a dope.

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

competition looks poor in the highlights. To me, he looks intruiging not impressive. I love big point guards but the reality is that besides Magic (one of the greatest to play ever) none have really stood out.
    Guys who 'play every position' are kinda in that same bind. Too slow to guard wings, too weak to guard bigs. Austin Daye looked all around great in pre-nba highlights. Looked like he could pass, dribble well enough and shoot.

6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

My problem with drafting a Euro in the lottery is that you only know their highlights for the most part and not their lowlights... Kids that have spent a year or two in college are more likely to have a better "book" on them... knowing their talents, but also their faults.

I'm willing to take flyers on unknowns later in the draft but with a top 5 pick.... not so much.

7. blueadams

I'd imagine that he's going to be a 3 or stretch 4. Looks plenty suited to guard those positions to me. Daye was much, much weaker, and not as skilled with the ball.

8. blueadams

If there's a draft to do it in, it's this one.

9. BillLaimbeer

He's slotted to go at spot #16. Taking him in the top 5 would be a huge stretch.

10. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

Mid-major competition might be stretching it. Those guys looked like junior college teams.

A good breakdown here: DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Giannis Adetokunbo, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

He's really athletic, but the first thing I noticed (and the video points out) is that his shot is pretty raw, and he'll have trouble with it in the NBA if he doesn't adjust; that's not a great selling point for a small forward that the Pistons need to count on for his scoring. His release point is about six inches too low and his motion is very deliberate - think Noah's free throw crossed with Jerebko's shooting time. He's a set shooter instead of a jump shooter, which is another problem, and doesn't appear confident catching and shooting. Defensively, he has good length, but I don't see any tenacity in his game - all I saw were shot blocks of guys that were 6'2" - 6'3" tops, and that's not going to cut it. That's not to say he can't be a great defender, but I don't see a game changer right now.

If he fell to the second, I'd definitely take a flier on him. He seems to have the mentality of a point guard, and his height could give him a real advantage, but he dribbles the ball way too high and I didn't see enough of his passing skills to feel like this is a definitive future position for him. He needs a lot more development before he's NBA-ready, and that's not what the Pistons are going to need this year.

11. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

If JD was in Europe and got a villa for 2 months to attend games to observe him......then maybe.

12. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

He could take in game footage of him on his blackberry, if there is no butter on the lense.

Slippy and Nemo like this.
  13. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Mid major is probably about right. He plays in the Greek second division. Spain, Italy, and Greece are the three leagues that are clearly better than the NCAA. I'm told that most second division guys in those leagues could play D1 ball, but probably wouldn't be stars.

He's an interesting choice. You would have to stash him overseas for at least a year, and then expect him to play most of his first year in the D-League. Having said that, he's a serious talent.

blueadams likes this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

After watching Kravtsov's highlight on youtube, I thought we had the next Dwight Howard. Turns out that we just have a big tall guy with slow hands.

15. blueadams

With all due respect, I think you guys are being far too skeptical here.

STEP 1 - Look at this draft class. Muhammad, Porter, Oladipo, Burke, etc. Look at our "traditional" options with the same amount of skepticism, please. There are no stand-out perfect prospects in this draft period - - let alone at #5 or higher.

STEP 2 - Look at this kid. Sounds like it's about mid-major (Butler, Gonzaga, VCU, etc.) level competition. That's one. Then look at this freaking kid. He's like 6-10, long armed (7-2 wing-span), big broad shoulders, thick, muscular, probably around 220. Look how fluid he is! He handles the ball like a big point guard. Very, very comfortably. And that's a demeanor, a confidence. It can't be taught. It's rarely existent in people his size. It's a highlight tape, so you don't see the misses, but he's shooting (and hitting) threes with a lot of confidence in these clips. As though he does it quite frequently. He's making good, smart passes on the break and in the half-court set. He's taking it to the rack with complete efficiency on the break and in the half-court. He's got some nice interior post ability, and seems comfortable there as well. He's not shying away from contact at all.. he's down there boarding hard and playing steady post-D when required. Hard to tell exactly how athletic he is - - as it's relative to competition - - but this man looks plenty athletic to me. He's plenty big. Plenty long. Plenty coordinated. Good all-around fundamentals. And he's 19 years old.

I think this dude's a perfect 3. I think a front line of he, Monroe and Drummond would reall
    y be something to write home about. I think the signing of O.J. Mayo - - a six year veteran at 25, a great outside shooter, a solid defender, and a quantity scorer - - would give us a hell of a two. I see Brandon Knight really making tremendous strides here for us as a point guard. He's starting to get a feel for the game. He's starting to get a confidence. He feels like he belongs. He's starting to feel like he should be in control. His shots starting to drop with consistency - - and that release of his, off the pass or dribble, is one of the quickest and thus most lethal in the league. I see Calderon helping him, teaching him, how to be a great, efficient NBA true point. I see young promising players who do things the right way on the bench in Singler, Jerebko and even Kravtsov. Stuckey's whack, but he can be of use in some situations still.

GET ME THIS GREEK. GET ME A REAL COACH. GET RID OF CHARLIE. GET ME OJ.

This kid makes me excited about the whole team man. I think he'd reall
    y be a bring it together type. Maybe even a push it over the top type.

I bet Greg Poppovich is gonna make a run at him.

onedrop3 likes this.
  16. BillLaimbeer

He could be the next Andreas Glyniadakis.

Glynny had great height, athleticism, wing span, looked great in videos, blah, blah, blah.

For those of you that don't know, one forum poster had Glynny in half of his winning rotations. Glynny scored 17 points. No, not in a game. In his entire NBA career.....

17. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

With all due respect back atcha, I think you're being far too optimistic.

Compare his athleticism, for example, to Oladipo's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWJGiJJAwk#t=1m07s
    In this clip you see Oladipo blow past one defender and dunk over another one that gets up to challenge him.
    In that highlight video above, Giannis is mostly dunking uncontested. When he's challenged, he doesn't have the strength or explosiveness to get through defenders.

As a shooter he's above average but nothing to write home about. His mechanics are a little wonky and his shot is slow and a little flat. He's a set-shooter, which means he's not going to get shots over players that actually close out against him.

Defensively, about all he can do is act as a weak-side shot blocker. Anyone that's stronger than him will simply bully through him, and anyone quicker than him will simply go around him. He shows no lateral quickness whatsoever - he's way too easy to drive past.

He may be confident with his ballhandling, but that's probably because he's playing against glorified high schoolers. He dribbles higher than Brandon Knight does, and doesn't keep the ball away from the defender well enough. He has a pretty good first step when he drives, but he's not in control when he does it; he gets by on his athleticism and the lack of ability of his defenders. His handles and passing are nothing spectacular.

Lastly, If you look at production, he's averaging 8 points, 5 boards per 20 minutes. That's 4.5/9 per 36 minutes, against - at best - Mid Major competition. With his ability, he should be dominating.

He has the athleticism, but that's about it. It's going to take three years of development - minimum - before he's ready to play at this level. It's one thing for a guy like Drummond that can come in and impact on defense with his ridiculous natural gifts because he doesn't need a refined offensive game, but that's not going to be the case for Giannis.

webz and The Panda like this.
  18. blueadams

STOP COMPARING THIS DUDE TO MICHAEL JORDAN just because he is European and you're all still ticked about Darko. Compare him to his contemporaries, i.e. other draft prospects in this draft.

1-Oladipo is six-three. This dude is six-ten. They're both twos or threes. He doesn't need to be as athletic as Oladipo.
    1b-Oladipo can't shoot period. Being six-ten and having a 7-2 wingspan, he'll get shots off better too..."set-shooter" or not.
    1c-Oladipo might be able to guard small, quick NBA 2's and 3's, but not most of them. This Greek will be able to guard most of them. He's bigger and stronger than virtually all threes. His length will help him a great deal against quicker ones.
    -His ball-handling is worse than our point-guards?? As it should be.. he's six-ten.
    -To quote you - "He gets by on his athleticism". I thought he wasn't athletic??
    -He's 19 years old!!! Look up Andre Drummond's college stats for me, would you?
    -A great and terrible athlete according to you?? He's a 2 or 3 with a 7-2 wing-span, strength and athleticism dude. Why wouldn't he be able to have a defensive impact on the game while he's developing, one. And two, "three years minimum," so the hell what. It takes everyone time to develop. The potential to even develop into something good is the reason most people get drafted high. And three, his offensive game is much more refined than Andre's at this stage.

19. J-Train

J-Train Team Captain Forum Donor

Based solely on that video, it's clear that the kid is talented, but a major project. It looks like he'll need another two or three years to be able to even get minutes. A lot will be determined by his play at the Nike Hoops Summit, later this month. How does he look against legit talent? I have no idea.

20. blueadams

I personally never thought anything of the so-called Greek Shaq's scouting book, one. And two, I guess because they were both born in the same region, they both suck, right, gotcha.