The Flip poll

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Darth Tater, May 31, 2008.

?

Flip. Should he or shouldn't he and will he or won't he.

Poll closed Jun 10, 2008.
  1. He should stay and will stay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. He should stay but will go

4.7%
  3. He should go and will go

69.8%
  4. He should go but will stay

25.6%
  1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Should he stay or go? And will he stay or go?
  2. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Time's up Flippy. I say he heads out on the motivational speaker circuit and makes a load of money.
  3. Darth Tater

Looks like the early voters all think he should AND will go. I'm a little worried that Jammer could be correct and that Flip will stay.

Doesn't his K expire this year? Also, with the Pistons not allowing Curry to talk to other teams...I'm hoping.:fingerscr
  4. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Flip needs to go. He's an offensive coach. The Pistons have always been known for their defense under Larry Brown and Rick Carslile. Flip is the reason we lost Ben Wallace.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Avery Johnson's name yet?
  5. Darth Tater

He's discussed in depth in another thread.
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    It is very tough to predict with Bill D. He likes Flip and that may be the deciding factor.
  7. NTC

NTC First Round Draft Pick

His time is up, he needs to go. Question is, who do we get to replace him?
  8. Darth Tater

[​IMG]
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It's going to be a tug of war between Joe D and Bill D. I think Bill will get his way and the contract will expire naturally. Joe won't be happy with it, but won't quit either.

I really hope I'm wrong. I'll take Curry.
  10. Darth Tater

I don't think Mr. D. is going to worry about that. If Joe wants him gone, then it's adios.

I just am wondering whether Joe DOES want him gone. As fans we may not see many things the way Joe D. does.
  11. Pistons0809

Pistons0809 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Everyone pretty much hates Flip Saunders. Getting to the ECF isn't a huge accomplishment if you lost 4 out of 6 times and 3 in a row.
  12. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

13. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

For all the criticism Flip gets, a large part of JMax and Stuck's development and emergence in the playoffs should go to him for playing them. When was the last time Pistons saw 2 rookies (OK JMax in not a rookie), actually develop within the organization. That is a step forward.
  14. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Flip should go, but he won't. He doesn't have the respect of the team. I think as long as the team is competitive and selling out the Palace upper management can care less about winning titles.
  15. detteam

detteam All-Star

I believe Joe cares about winning titles and that BillD will defer to his eventual recommendation to can Flip...three strikes = "HE'S OUT!"
  16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Of course, they would have developed much earlier had Flip played them earlier. I can't help thinking that Flip only played them because he was forced to.
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I hope you are right, but in my opinion if they really wanted to make sure we got to the finals they would not have broken up the 2004 team by letting too many piece go from the bench. They would have also spent the money to bring quality free agents in 2005, 2006 and 2007 and not 3 tier guy's that are one step from being out of the league.
  18. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

Whether he was forced to or not is a moot point. The fact is the result i.e. JMax and Stuckey have developed under Flip. The lack of bench development has been a hot point for years. My point is what is Flip going to get credit for? Besides Pops, Phil, LB and Riley (now retired), there are 27 teams looking for a championship caliber coach. He may not be the coach for this team ( I agree) but he is also not the scrub he is made out to be. I feel the same frustration as countless Pistons fans do but IMO Flip is way over marginalized by us (including ME) fans. Just like the WINGS goalie. Nobody is up to the job. Wonder what will happen to Curry/next coach if they don't deliver upon expectations?
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

Joe walks a financial tightrope with BillD and has done the most with the least of all NBA GM's IMO...but alas, not enough to get over Flip's ECF hump.
  20. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

WE HAVE NO SUPERSTAR.... sorry now that i got that out of my system... that is why most teams go over the salary cap, in resigning there own players.... we have resigned our stars (note... not superstars), besides Ben... and sorry as much as some folks seem to think if he come back to detroit he's going to play like he did in 04-05, your forgetting how he was slipping in 06... It was the right choice, would you rather we were over the cap right now paying Ben way to much money? We can't go over the salary cap to bring in players.... besides the MLE that dumars normally uses...

Just because Dumars is smart doesn't mean he's Cheap. Its easy to say, but please show me how he could have gone over the cap.... pay prince billiups hamiltion more money? ummmm why? thats the only way we go over the cap.... sounds like a smart guy to me, resigns his players to smart contracts... Davidson has always spent his money to make the pistons a first class club, used his own money to build the palace, first owner to have a team plane..... what a penny pincher he is....