The Fantasy Sports Thread thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Darth Tater, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Some people love gardening. Some love dog fighting. Me, I love fantasy sports. So this thread is mainly to indulge myself, I suppose.

Really, the purpose of the thread is for people to share their thoughts and theories about fantasy sports. Now that Rascoe started a Sports Central thread I can do this. (No, this is not another Rascoe appreciation thread).

Examples of stuff to put in the thread:

Will somebody please explain to me how these leagues work and how I would get started?

Do I have a chance at success as a rookie?

Why I love fantasy sports (or maybe certain ones over others)

Why I hate fantasy sports (and prefer gardening or dog fighting).

When is the right time to cut a player you drafted with a high pick.

When do I use my very high waiver choice?

What constitutes a good/fair trade (oh man...this is a slippery slope)

How much time do you need to/ should you spend on your team?

Why do I always seem to have a crappy team?

Where do you get up to date information on injuries and players on a hot streak?

What kind of draft is preferable: live, auto, auction?

Thoughts on which categories are good to use

League size preferences.

Do you like smack talk or hate it?

How do I improve my team early in the season? Late in the season?

Stuff that frustrates or confuses you.

Will people laugh at me if I make a bad trade?

So this thread is for everyone. "Experts" or "Novices". Current Participants or Potential future participants.

NOTE: The purpose of the thread is NOT to talk about a particular league that you are in, or a particular manager, or a particular player (unless it is used as an example to make your point clearer). I'm not saying you shouldn't make fun of Jammer's inability to run a fantasy team. Just don't dog him in the context of a particular league. ;)
  2. Darth Tater

OK, since nobody is going to post anything, I will just make this my private journal. See if I care...:P

You know what drives me nuts? (Visions of Andy Rooney come to mind), All of the fantasy world stuff is driven by the real world stuff. Why is it that managers/coaches choose to rest perfectly healthy guys for no reason other than "they can use a rest and we have a comfortable lead in the division/have no chance of making the playoffs anyhow." Don't these boobs know or care that I haven't clinched JACK and am fighting for my playoff life/trying to clinch a division title.:pound:

They do it pretty frequently in baseball for one day maybe (always when you are in a tight battle and three layers on your squad always seem to sit on that same Sunday), but I've really seen some great fantasy basketball teams lose right away in the playoffs because the coaches sit players for the last two weeks.

:yell::angrysoapbox: Bottom line is that very little can be done about it. You can try to anticipate it and adjust your lineup but that almost always blows up in your face.
  3. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great thread Darth. I'll give you something at least.

Fantasy sports hasn't really taken off here yet. Australian Football is about the only sport that has begun to do it. It's been really increasing in popularity the past 2 years. However, our other major sports haven't as far as I'm aware such as:

Cricket
    Rugby
    Soccer
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

But that's ok, I just play the American sports (which I love anyway). I'm still missing something to play between April and September.

I know baseball is on at this time but I couldn't get into during that one season I played (even though I finished 2nd).

Not many people know how into fantasy I am (due to lack of fantasy in Oz as above, and me hiding it a little). It's hard enough that people still don't get why I watch NFL, let alone play fantasy NFL. There's just some things not worth explaining because they won't understand - and frankly, I don't care if they do or don't.
  4. webz

webz All-Star Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'll also have a crack at answering one of your pondering questions...

Q. When do I use my very high waiver choice?

For me, I don't put too much emphasis in saving up a high waiver priority. Firstly, the odds of someone just dumping a really good player for no reason are very remote.
    a) The 'Can't cut list' stops people from doing that anyway
    b) The dropped player usually has a long-term injury and won't help you immediately anyway

So the only way I'd pick up an injured stud is if I was sitting in first or second with a big lead on the rest. I've tried this before, and it didn't really work out. I had a big lead, but because I was down a potential 4 games a week (basketball) my lead started to dwindle and I actually missed the playoffs.

Once you lose your high waiver spot it allows you to pretty much put in waiver claims for anyone because you are already on the bottom of the list! It gives you an advantage over people trying to save their waiver priority because they might start second guessing whether a borderline player is worth using say their number 3 priority on.

You'll start getting first crack at the waiver guys while others wait for them to become FA's. I've seen lots of people sit on the number 1 priority all season and never use it.

That's my take. I won't initially try to waste my waiver priority if I have a high one, but I won't be shy on pulling the trigger.
  5. Darth Tater

Good stuff Webz. Thanks for resurrecting the thread. :)
  6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm not very familiar with waiver procedure, but it seems more likely to get a good player off waivers in real life sports than in fantasy sports, because in real life, teams sometimes make moves for purely financial reasons. Financials don't really factor into fantasy sports.
  7. Darth Tater

But also remember, in fantasy sports, there are usually a couple of owners that know even less than the real world owners, lol, and since there is OFTEN no money involved they will do things more on a whim.

I guess my point is that sometimes you would be surprised who ends up on waivers (there were a couple of gems on the waiver wire in baseball this year, and a couple of years ago I lost a football playoff game because another owner who was already eliminated dropped a couple guys for kicks (one of which my opponent picked up and whom made the difference...but that's another issue).

Also, in hockey, one owner dropped a top notch guy accidentally because he was "Tatering" and was dropping like three guys every day and wasn't paying close attention, I guess.

Anyhow, the waiver gems often seem to pop up after I already blew my high pick. Sometimes, though, it ironically works out for the best.

Overall, I agree with Webz. Use the pick. Especially, if you have a big lead you may be able to pick up a guy. I think I remember what Webz is referring to. His team was doing great but he picked up an injured Gilbert Arenas. I would have made the same move (and envied him), but it killed him in the end.

Also, I agree that once you have a low priority pick you can use it without wondering if you are "wasting" it.

The bigger question may be...When is it the right time to dump a guy? (There is a difference between an injured guy, a top prospect, and a slumping guy).
  8. Darth Tater

I learned something about Yahoo fantasy sports yesterday.

In my hockey league, Mikhail dumped a player at 12:43 AM. Mountain time in what was officially Wednesday moring November 19th.

Another owner dumped some guys later that day.

We have a one day waiver period in our league (rather than the standard two).

Mikhail's guy was available to come off waivers this morning. The other owners players aren't available until the 20th.

Yet both were dumped the same day.

I figured out that even though Mikhail dumped his guy on the 18th...the system doesn't clear and update until after midnight Pacific.

So even though the system recorded the time the player was dropped it treated him as if he were dropped Tuesday because the system hadn't updated.

I was scratching my head like crazy wondering how Milan Michalek was dropped on the 18th but wasnt listed as available until the 20th, yet Jarrett Stoll was dumped on the 18th and was listed as available the 19th.

Not sure if anyone can follow this or if they even care to decipher it, but I just thought I would share. :)
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

-
    Dangit I answered your questions but the post was lost...not doing it again.
  10. Darth Tater

That's Ok. I didn't have a question. Was just sharing. :)