The Darko Milicic- Thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TWOTIMESRALPHI, Dec 18, 2005.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Ben is the NBA Gold standard for being undrafted and achieving glory.

He did earn minutes with his first team, he earned them absolutely beating the crap out of Chris Webber and Juwan Howard in practice. So much so, that they asked the coach to play him.

And Ben performed well enough in GT to become a key part of the Washington trade for Isaac Austin (thought to be a good move for Washington, turned out to be an immense mistake).

Darko and Ben's paths to the NBA are so dissimilar. Let's NOT go there.

2. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

bballj,

this debate has run its course for me. I will just close by saying that I disagree with almost everything you said in the last post. lol.

Closing points:
    • Ben's path compared to Darko equals too completely different ways to handle the situation. Darko could learn alot from Ben, but he hasn't unfortunately.
    • Dan Gazuric had amazing shot blocking numbers in limited minutes. (The scope of Darko's noticeable good play in a nutshell) Look at him now. Not an allstar. Never will be.
    • If Darko was such an obvious contributer and talent the wise minds of PF.Com would not be so seperated. His NBA livelihood is still in doubt.
    • Don't work hard in practice. Don't work hard when you get in. Don't play. Period.
    • Preseason has been over for quite some time and often times it doesn not showcase the NBA's elite. It can not be used as the sole barometer for talent
    • I don't think you scrutinize Darko enough for his current attitude and work ethic. If you did, you would not be half as flattering. I think his attitude and work ethic are under fire today and for just reason. Joey D., Larry Brown and Flip cannot all be morons. This should bring his odds for success down. For you Bballj, it gets completely ignored and excused as irrevalent.

3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Darko Get's More Than 3 Minutes In Practice

He also was getting 5-6 minutes of real time during the 2nd and 3rd quarters at the beginning of the year. He has had sufficient playing time to make something of himself.

Players taken behind DMC that the Pistons could have benefited better by drafting #2:

Anthony
    Bosh
    Wade
    Kaman (The 20-20 man)

There are others but they were drafted too low and none of them were or should have been drafted ahead of James and the 4 I have listed above.

DMC is a head case, plain and simple. I seriously doubt if he will ever have the right mentality to succeed in the NBA.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nope, not nearly that many minutes for Darko so far

Darko has only had one 10 minute game in a non-blowout game. The next highest minutes he has had is 6 in a non-blowout game. And he has only had 6 minutes of playing time in other than garbage time 6 times this season.

Now, it may seem like more than that to those with somewhat faulty memories. But remember, Flip was only putting Darko in for the 1st half, and then only in like every other game.

That NY game was not that far into the season. That was the last game Darko saw action other than garbage time. That was just the 14th game into the season.

As of yet, no way has Darko been on the floor long enough to be comfortable with his role. Any absolute judgements on how good he is therefore are way premature.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Lee,

What are you saying ?

Humor me. Pick one. Quite simple.

(A) Darko is great
    (B) Darko will be great
    (C) Darko is good
    (D) Darko will be good
    (E) We do not have enough information to know Jack squat about him???

It seems to me you normally sing his praises, but this should clarify your stance.

No explanations needed. Simply type "Letter ____ (fill in blank) best describes my position on Darko".

Thank you.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

And the truth is he can't or won't perform even when there is no pressure. The minutes argument is lame and old. Please come up with something new...tho you'll have a hard time because between you & bballjay you have covered just about ever conceiveable excuse for him. The only one I haven't heard yet is that 'his lungs are going to take a few years to get healthy again after he quit smoking'. food4thot

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :)

7. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

bball jay, I really wish Darko fought for his reputation as hard as you do. I honor your tenacity. Merry Christmas!

8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko haters

You guys stun me, the amount of effort spent in denigrating one player, that is a Piston is beyond belief. Yet to see him do anything, other than not living up to his billing, to deserve such hatred. Not trying hard in GT isnt enough. Has the kid ever not tried hard during a real game? If anything his mistakes against the Knicks were for trying too hard. It's one thing to be dissapointed, but you guys hate him, and I dont get it.

Dale hasn't done anything for the Pistons this year, nada. The man was signed to pick up the slack in case DMC wasnt ready. Dale was a known quantity, yet he hasn't even lived up to those lowered expectations. He's done less than Darko. Where's the burn DD club? JMax looks good in GT, but he hasnt played one minute of real time? Maybe because he isnt ready? So where's the burn JMax club?

I'm done arguin, you guys hate Darko, don't know why, you're arguments have zero to do with his ability or what he's shown, or what the other guys on the bench are doing. It's simply, we coulda had Wade, we coulda had Wade, Darko ruined it. Grow up.

When Darko quits on the team, when he disrespects the team, when he gets arrested for something stupid, then I'll quit on him, not one second before. Unlike LB who quit on us and disrespected us, but you guys like that.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Chill pill

Taking advice from Wave,
    Mocking the man does not help, criticizm yep, mocking, nope.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just correcting misinformation

If the previous guy had not put the misinformation out, I would not have needed to post. You can't make it look like Darko has had his chance, cause as of yet, he has not.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Darko is good, and could be great.

He is definitely good enough to do what we need this year. Be an emergency center for depth in the Miami and SA series. And he could be a great center. That would be a combination of the natural skills he has, the excellent fundamentals he has in many areas, continued good attitude, continued good health, and a coach giving him some NBA experience.

Darko needs to play to get better. And the Pistons need him to get better. Pretty simple in my book. Every game Flip does not play Darko is just another game closer to us not winning a championship this season.

12. detteam

detteam All-Star

What misinformation?

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

"He has had sufficient playing time to make something of himself."

Look at post 144 in this thread

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

Darko's had a lot of chances...and he's blown most of them. If Joe thought that Darko hadn't got his chances, he would have made sure he got them.

Every Piston fan has wanted to see Darko succeed here IRREGARDLESS of the hate rhetoric.

To say Darko didn't get a chance is like pissin into the wind thinking your not going to get wet.

15. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

dale hasn't played badly at all. he's been solid on D with good hustle. jmax isn't getting real time because he's a rookie, and it's as simple as that.

16. linwood

linwood All-Star

Lee, the way you avoided answering the question was truly a thing of beauty. You should forget about learning Korean, give up engineering, and stop playing tennis.

What you need, my friend, is to go to law school, and then run for Congress.

17. beer_is_proof

beer_is_proof Second Round Draft Pick

Darko Don't

Darko don't get it.

If he just looked like he was trying hard - everyone in D-town would be pulling for him to succeed and get more minutes.

I just do not see even the attempt to look like he is trying.

Darko - If you are upset about your lack of playing time - GET MAD.

If you are not happy with late game garbage minutes - GET AGGRESSIVE when you are out there.

I don't get it - why he doesn't care.

He doesn't get it - and until he does - he won't see much playing time.

18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Here's a quick answer to your questions. Ask JD how many teams have inquired about Darko's availability? And how much they are willing to give? My guess is 15 or more and a 1st round pick and money.
    Let me ask you this, would you like to see Darko starting for another team? Good or bad team? Memo got away with good reason but what about Darko? The fact that we took JD's contract means he's willing to wait. For awhile anyway.

19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Flipper Should Start Darko Tonight

Of course TO would be really peaved, but it would give the Piston bigs some rest against a lets face it lousy team.

20. mistermike40

mistermike40 Second Round Draft Pick

This is my first post here, thought I'd give my take on Darko: there's something missing, maybe "toughness", that he will NEVER learn... it can't be taught. You have it or you don't.

The evidence is watching him stand around while tougher, more athletic, more hungry players leap over him for rebounds. Instead of attacking the glass like a 7+ft player should, he will sometimes wince/cringe/turn his head when the ball comes off the rim... like he's afraid it's going to hit him in the face. He reminds me of my little sister when we were kids.

I had a bad feeling that when they drafted Darko, they were going to lose the player that they hoped Darko would eventually turn into: Mehmet Okur. Okur is almost 7ft, has great range on his shot, but also has that thoughness that allows him to rebound and defend against NBA starters. He's averaging 18 pts and 9 boards (laid 33 and 17 on the Bulls earlier this year)... think Darko will EVER approach those numbers?

Sorry to rant, but I really liked Okur and hated to see him go because of Milicic (and yes, that's ultimately the reason he left). Darko has some skills, but he also has glaring weaknesses that he'll never overcome.

Sam Bowie is a hall-of-famer compared to Darko.