The Curse of Darko

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by roscoe36, Feb 16, 2007.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

This is a great article, although I am loathe to post it because I already know who is going to beat this thread into a poster on poster battle for intellectual deficiency. That said, it's an interesting and bold look at the reprecussions of the 2003 draft.

ESPN: Page 2 : The Curse of Darko

Let's attempt to keep the discussion quality level high folks.

2. lazyberbs

lazyberbs First Round Draft Pick

I guess the first thing that stuck out at me was the the writer said that we passed on resigning Okur because we had Darko. Actually, we passed on him because we had Sheed. I can also remember clearly that we were told that we passed on Carmello because we had Tayshaun.

Darko was never going to be developed for the Pistons because we hired a coach who would not do it in the same time frame we drafted DMC. And then we hired another one right after that one left.

Naturally, as "true" Piston fans, most seem to blame the whole problem on DMC while there is plenty of it to go around. Does anyone really think that Joe "bought into the "Go European" hype and selected Darko"? If so, I guess they have a low opinion of him. Besides, about all the GMs who were asked would have drafted Darko, as well. Unless they are just covering up for one of their own (a GM).

He is showing now that had he just been brought along even slowly, he would have been contributing now for the Pistons. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. To make matters worse, we had a HOF coach who could have gotten it done.

But, let's all just blame Darko. After all, he's "tall, white, and has a passport".

3. Jackattaq

Jackattaq First Round Draft Pick

Great post Lazy,

BTW: Are you coming down for the game on Wednesday? If so drop me an EMAIL Jackattaq@yahoo.com and maybe we can meet up for a drink or something before the game. I'm still trying to talk my little brother into going, I haven't as of yet and don't want to go alone. Hopefully I'll see you there.

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

The writer represents everything wrong about the Darko haters. People need to get over the Bosh, Wade, Carmello thing. It is not Darko's fault that he was picked #2. And Joe did not make a poor draft decision.

If anything, this should be called the curse of Larry Brown. Anyone thinking Wade, Bosh, and Carmello wouldn't have ended up like Darko is deluding themselves. Wade plays over CB and Rip? yeah right. LB doesn't bench Bosh because he doesn't play the right way? (i.e. back to the basket, tough D, no outside shots). And Carmello plays over Rip or Tay?

I mean, Okur couldn't beat out Darvin Ham. :nerd2: How the heck could those guys beat out any of our core?

Reality is Detroit treats its rooks like crap. And next year, don't be surprised if Darko joins the list of young all-stars that should be Pistons, and Amir and JMax are begging for trades.

5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Curse my behind. The team is a victim of its own success.

6. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Anyone who thinks Darko will be just as good as Melo/Bosh/Wade/Howard is just fooling themselves. No way you can look at this and say it was a smart selection.

7. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Was it a curse no but I am sure Pistons fans cursed plenty when they heard Darko instead of Carmello.
    Most number 2 picks are cornerstones of the franchise plain and simple. You dont normaly get a #2 unless you suck and need a #2 pick. The fact that the pistons were a playoff team getting the number 2 pick was mind boggleing to me. Not because I didnt understand why we got the pick but the fact that we were so good and we could get a player who would make us a legit contender every freakin year. Small ball is such a hit imagine this lineup C.B. Rip Tay Melo Sheed. Well it could have happened. I could care less how Darko does in Mickey town but the fact that 4 years later we are hoping and praying our next draft pick (in the teens) turns out to be a good player and just plain does not suck makes me pissed. I hope the Draft is as deep as I keep hearing because I really dont see #2 potential sliding past pick #8.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Darko is not as good as Bron, Wade, Mello, Bosh, but he IS probably one of the top 10 players from that draft. Especially at the PF/C position.

Even though we should have picked someone else, we still should have played our top 10 pick.

9. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Darko doesn't have to be as good as Melo/Bosh/Wade/Howard. But considering his improvement this season, I would not be surprised if he ends up as good as Bosh in the near future.

BTW, to further my belief that it's the curse of Larry, look at the rooks that LB didn't like in New York; David Lee, Trevor Ariza, and Channing Frye. LB, if anything, is consistent with his complete lack of judgement concerning players ability.

10. max

max All-Star

Neat article and how I have also felt. I kind of knew on draft day that Dumars made a huge mistake but who was I to judge.

Yes Darko is comming around and he probably is about to surpass Kaman in value to his team so that will make him a top 10 pick in that draft. As that article reminded us, he was not a 7,8,9 pick he was the #2 pick and he will never surpass some of the players picked around him.

But its not devastating. We were not supposed to get that pick. By a mere fluke and some incredible luck one of our past trades yielded that pick. Dropped in the lap of the Pistons and Dumars carelessly threw it away. It was a gift and Dumars wasted it. Lost opportunity. Dumars even went against his own draft day advise and chose in the end not wait the few years he was telling us all it would take. "Darko needs to go someplace where he can play 20 mpg". Even if Darko was going to work out Dumars made sure to always go out and sign vets each summer to keep him buried as the 4th or 5th option on the depth chart.

I agree with berbs, Okur leaving had very little to do with Darko. It was all about Sheed. If we did not have Sheed then Dumars would have found someway to finagle around some cap space inspite of Darko's 4 mil. In Signing Sheed all hopes were blown out of the water. There were no bird rights for 2nd round draft picks that summer. It was either Sheed or Darko and over at the detnews forum everyone thought it was a great move. I cannot recall even 1 fan questioning it anywhere. So why bring it up now?

11. MotownPride

David Lee got lots of playing time last year. He and Frye were two of the few bright spots for the Knicks last season so I'm confused as to what you're talking about.

12. MotownPride

I think he does to be considered the smarter selection...but perhaps my logic is bad. Maybe the Pistons should have picked an inferior player. :nerd2:

13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

How do you guys feel about the future? The author mentions that the Pistons may fall quickly.

With a core of Hamilton - Prince and Billups, supplemented by Johnson, Maxiell and possible Acker / Blalock, as well as 3 picks and Cheick Samb, are we really all that devastated by the drafting of Darko?

If possible, lets refrain from attacking one another. That's not the PF way.

14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I live in NY. LB jerked these guys around last year. Start one guy, DNP the next. David Lee was one of the best front court guys last year, but played behind Malik Rose and Jackie Butler. David Lee was one of the first Knicks celebrating LB getting fired.

We're not arguing if it was the smartest decision, but whether it was a terrible decision. And in hindsight, I still can't say any other pick would have worked better.

Let's say we picked Carmello. Does he cut into Tay's PT? If not, any chance Carmello doesn't become a cancer and demand a trade? If he does, do we win a 'ship with Carmello playing as a rookie? And if we don't win that year, considering LB's breakdown, do we ever win one?

You can say the same with Wade and Bosh. Everyone keeps assuming that if we had picked Wade/Bosh/Carmello, that they'd be playing at the same level for us, as they are playing for their current teams. But if they played for Detroit, their development would have been much longer because of the lack of pt available because of the guys ahead of them.

Two years from now, we can judge if Darko really is significantly better or worse than those guys, right now, we're only guessing.

15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I think it rests on Amir. I think they say what they had in amir and made some trades. Darko is on schedule as far as his progress but he nor the pistons were willing to wait for the changing of the guard. Now you have an athletic player with supposedly great upside who is maturing at the right time. you need to give him room to grow soon.

16. max

max All-Star

I don't think it hurts the future, would have made it a lot easier but it does not doom the Pistons. Its not 1990 anymore, you can always grab an FA someplace or trade for one that wants out. How we did we get this team? It certainly was not through the draft. Dumars has always kind sucked at it. Yea we got Prince and Okur but also threw away a #9 and #14 pick in the process.

That author also compared our team to the Celtics, so I don't know. Kind of seemed like one of our posts

17. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Not good. With a core of Hamilton, Prince, and Billups, this team should always be competitive. And a couple of good extras, playing well (like Sheed did a few years ago), should be enough for a title.

But, I'll believe that any of our young guys will help when I see it. The closest we've come to developing youth is Delfino, and we really didn't develop him, Euro play did. He's more like FA that only got PT because Joe ordered it. And even then, he's a good 6th man, not a starter.

Amir, JMax, and Blaylock need development. And they aint getting it here. And we need at least one of them to develop into a starter, which also aint happening.

Truth is Joe made another draft mistake in JMax. If he had picked David Lee, Lee could have replaced some of the potential we expected form Darko.

18. Jackattaq

Well Roscoe, since these guys aren't playing and the Pistons over the last 3 years have shown THEY REFUSE TO PLAY YOUNG PLAYERS THAT THEY DRAFT, I'm not so sure we can count on those guys to be in Piston's uniforms and be active members of our team or contributers to our success in the next few years.

19. Jackattaq

Great Post 16 Mile, I totally agree.

20. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm pretty scared. I became a Pistons fan in the teal era. I became a fan when this team sucked. Sucked as hell. I remember players like Don Reid, an aging Rick Mahorn, an aging JoeD, Eric Montross, Scott Pollard, Grant Long, Otis Thorpe playing for this team. Right now, I'm scared that these Pistons are going to become another Jazz- team with Stockton and Malone. They had their core (Stockton, Malone, Hornacek) that was too young to retire and too old to win it all. Could be pretty close to what the Pistons are about to face- going into next season, Sheed will be 33, CB 31, RIP 29, CWebb gone. It's not that the core is too old to win the ship- but there is absolutely no fresh, young and hungry blood to get us over the hump. I feel like most players are comfortable because they already have their ship and are ok with being contenders each year without having to prove anything. Just imagine how hungry a Wade, Bosh or even Anthony would be if he played for the Pistons. At times, it takes simply one player to make the difference- we as Pistons fans know that better than anyone else (Sheed in 2004).
    I simply don't like this "add aging players that want to get a ring before they retire"- thing. Each season, we hope that there's one player that comes to Dwetreoit to win it so that he can retire with his ring. That's ok, but a franchise player would have been so sweat. I fear the teal era!!!