1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

The Corner 3 (Grantland)

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Apr 16, 2014.

1. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

The Creator | mgoblog

I posted a Michigan blog article (Stauskas-centric) that includes a link to the great Grantland article. I made this thread because it is a great, important and fascinating article. I posted the Stauskas-throughway because I really want to hammer this home..

THE PISTONS NEED TO DRAFT NIK STAUSKAS!! The NBA comparison I've been making lately -- being, as I am, un-phased by racial type-casting -- is Steph Curry, a top 5-10 player in the NBA.

I challenge anyone on this board to explain to me why Steph Curry is a better NBA prospect than Nik Stauskas?
    -Is it because Steph Curry is 6-3, 185 and Nik Stauskas is only 6-6, 205?
    -Is it because Steph Curry was 21 (a 3-year college player) and Nik is only 20 (a 2-year college player)?
    -Is it because Steph Curry led his team -- shooting .387 from 3 -- in the Southern Conference, whereas Nik Stauskas only led his team -- shooting .442 from 3 -- in the Big Ten, the best defensive conference in America?
    -Is it because Steph Curry is a worse defender? (esp. coming out of college)
    -Is it because Steph Curry has a less versatile offensive game? (esp. coming out of college)
    -Is it because the two have equally lightning-quick releases, and Stauskas has only 3 extra inches of height to shoot over defenders?
    -Is it because Nik Stauskas is a better passer and a better ball-handler? (esp. coming out of college)

THE PLAN:

i) Starting Point: 45.7M in total salaries (including 2014-15 QO-level salary for G. Monroe...not sure how that works, but to be on the safe side).....16.4M cap space

1) Draft Nik Stauskas: +2.7M (starting salary for last year's #8 pick).....13.7M cap space.

2) Sign Kyle Lowry: +13.7M (the max we can give him, I'm guessing he gets less).....0M cap space.

3) Resign Greg Monroe: +9M (14.5M - 5.5M = 9M. *14.5M is the maximum contract he can get, I'm guessing he gets less. *5.5M is his 2014-15 QO-level salary, which I'd already counted against the cap).....4.6M tax cap space.

4) Sign Trevor Ariza, using the MLE: +5.2M (the max MLE, I'm guessing he gets less).....0.9M tax penalty.

Rotation:
    C: Drummond(32min), Monroe(16min)
    PF: Smith(32min), Monroe(16min)
    SF: Ariza(32min), Singler(16min)
    SG: Stauskas(32min), K-C. Pope(16min)
    PG: Lowry(32min), Jennings(16min)
    .....P. Siva(0min), J. Harrellson(0min), T. Mitchell(0min).....X: J. Jerebko, W. Bynum, G. Datome

5) General Manager (offer, in order): G. Popovich, L. Brown, R. Buford, S. Presti, S. Pritchard, J. Sloan, S. Layden

6) Head Coach (offer, in order): G. Popovich, L. Brown, R. Carlisle, J. Sloan, T. Thibodeau, L. Hollins

Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Is this the Grantland article about John Wall being the best creator of corner 3's or the piece by Kirk Goldsberry on it's value?

Are we talking right now? Steph Curry is the current holder of the 3pm record in the NBA. He has the quickest release in the NBA (.39 seconds, a full .2 seconds quicker than Carmelo Anthony, who is #2). He shoots extremely high difficult 3 pointers all the time (off dribble, contested, off balance) and makes them at a 40% clip. He turns the ball over rarely. He turns the Golden State Warriors into the 96 Bulls when he comes on the court. Seriously, I love arguments but this is too easy.

As a prospect? Who really cares. Is Nick Stauskus the next Lebron James or Kevin Durant? No. He is more than likely going to be a role player for his entire career, if that.

It's hard for me to take you seriously when you think that offering Pop the coaching job at Detroit is anything more than me offering a snotty tissue for a Lamborghini.

3. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sensationalist post. It is silly to compare Stauskas to Curry at this point. It's like saying Darko Milicic will be better than Larry Bird.

4. linwood

linwood All-Star

Darko pretty much IS Larry Bird, just without the blood flow.

Sent from outerspace

5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

For me, Stauskas is a taller J.J. Reddick. There is no point of comparision to Stephen Curry, as Blue himself noted, there are not too much similarities physically neither.

By saying he is a taller Reddick, I'm not saying something negative, maybe Reddick could have been better if he was 6-6 instead of 6-4.

6. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

FWIW, that MGOBLog article is homeristic garbage. It's all about Stauskas' ability to create for himself in the corner, which is - as Goldsberry points out - a skill which he will almost never utilize in the NBA because defenders actually scout you and will close out properly. As far as his unassisted rate - of course he has more unassisted three-pointers; he's not a great penetrator (above-average at the college level) so he jacks them up himself because he's the point guard. But if you have Stauskas running your offense, you're relying on his subpar quickness and athleticism to get the ball movement going. Otherwise, you're relying on him as a corner-three type of guy that is not a good defender, and that's not the type of player that you spend a top-10 pick on.

Edit: Just so you're aware, my guess is that I'm not the only one that rolls his eyes at your love of Stauskas and chalks it up to unabashed U-of-M fandom.

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

McGary is an interesting case. One breakout year where he defied expectations and then an injury year. You'd think that if he goes pro, he'll be picked late have some upside and bust potential.

8. blueadams

I've watched every game McGary's ever played. There were six good ones--all in the NCAA tournament last season. And all he really did -- aside from the Syracuse game, where we operated our offense through him in the high-post, and he absolutely shredded their zone defense with his passing -- was finally be in shape and finally be able to run with Trey Burke, who went into a kind of 'zone' few players ever enter. He fed Mitch with non-stop perfect wide open feeds right at the basket. Mitch just finished. Pair that run with freshman status (as a 20/21 yr old freshman) and a really overrated recruiting profile -- mock drafts and NBA outsiders liked him.

Truth about Mitch is this.

Terrible back. Usually in bad shape too. Doesn't work hard in the off-season. Has not improved his game in the ways it needs to be improved in order for him to make it in the NBA one iotta. Was injured all season and did absolutely nothing to improve his jump shot -- just pathetic shooting in warm-ups/practices I saw late this season. Really bad athletically for a big man. He's old as hell because he's an idiot and took like six years to graduate HS. And being in town, I know negative things that I wouldn't share.

Beilein's the best developer of talent in the world right now. Mitch needs to spend as much time with him as possible -- three more years, if he wants to make it in the NBA.

Nemo likes this.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

I'm tired of watching Rodney Stauskas slam into people. It's time to move on.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If Pop and LB turn you down for the GM position do you plan on offering them the coaching job immediately after or will you wait a little bit? Asking right after might come off as desperate.

I like your cap work.

S.J., linwood and BillLaimbeer like this.
  11. blueadams

Ha.

Good grief.

12. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

A basketball player smoking weed? I'm shocked!!!

Nemo and linwood like this.
  13. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I know, right? If you heard something, by all means cover it up on an anonymous website frequented by a few hundred people.

Gabe Watson and Marlin Jackson got money from boosters and agents while they were still playing - info directly from one of their roommates. "They all do it, you just don't talk about it," that roommate said at the time. But do you really think anyone cares what I have to say about it on some internet forum?