The Carlos Delfino project

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mercury, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Re: The Delfino project

he made $338,000 for that?
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Indeed.
  3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Maybe Murray needs to have a fire lit under his ass. Give his minutes to Delfino when CB gets back and let's see if that sparks any interest in him to start playing team ball. His one-on-one antics with 18 seconds left on the shot clock are ridiculous.
  4. roscoe36

5. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

Delfino plays defense (including the passing lanes), rebounds, handles and MIGHT finish. He has better chemistry, as he should. My personal belief is that most coaches who never played in the NBA (cept Daly) don't have a feel for when a player is hot or hurtin. Delf HAS been yanked at some inopportune times. FlipS can't seem to "read" that.

Delfino is gonna get the "look-off" if confidence in his shot ain't there. He's doin the right thing by goin to the glass. That's the smart move and Delf's gotta keep that up. FlipM is SUPPOSED to be a scorer. He ain't deliverin. He's gotta go.
  6. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

There seems to be this misconception floating around that Delfino can't shoot. Well, it's wrong, Delfino can shoot. And as he has played, his shot has gotten better. 36% rooky year, 40% last, 43% this year. NBA average is around 44%. Compared to the rest of the team, he shoots the same as Sheed and CB. And he's tied for 2nd (with CB) in 3 point shooting. If people don't have confidence in his shot, then who do they have it in? Only Rip, Prince, and the big guys shoot noticeably better % wise, and the big guys mostly make dunks.

So for the last time, I don't want to hear how CD can't shoot. Unless someone has some kind of stats to show otherwise, he can.

I have a feeling Delfino could lead the team in fg%, and people would still complain about his shooting.

BTW, Mr. Bigshot is a career 41% shooter, this is only the 2nd year ever, in his career where he is shooting 43% (rounding up) or higher, and the first time CB shot better than 43% was in his 8th year!!!!!
  7. roscoe36

I've noticed that his shot has been really true when he has the time and space to go completely through his motion. Contrary to popular belief, he's developing nicely into a spot up jumpshooter because his mechanics are improving.
  8. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Yep, according to 82games.com, he has the best eFG% on jumpshots of any player on the team at 50%. Last year his eFG% on jumpshots was 40.6%, and in his rookie year it was 34.5%. (Note: eFG% takes into account three pointers being worth more than 2's.)

That's very encouraging IMO. It shows he's been working on his game, and he's doing everything necessary to get on the floor. The first year, Larry knocked his defense (rightfully so), and he came in the following year one of our best perimeter defenders. Last year it was his jumpshot. Now he has improved leaps and bounds (noted in his FT% as well). How many guys go from a 57% FT shooter to an 87.5% FT shooter in only two years? Hopefully he shows Max a thing or two in that regard. And rebounding for that matter.

Next up he needs to work on his mid-range game and he needs to slow himself down when he gets near the rim. He looks like he's always trying to rush shots around the rim. If he learns how to do that and how to look for contact when he penetrates, Flip won't be able to keep him off the floor.
  9. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Good post :bow1:
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think the misconception comes from games where he only gets to take 2 or 3 shots. If he misses them, it seems like he is shooting poorly and they stick in everyone's mind.

Rip and Chauncey have a lot of games where they start off 0 for 3 and end up having 20+ points.
  11. dozero

dozero First Round Draft Pick

If only he could speak better English! I think he has the ability to run the point or at least bring the ball and set the plays up, but there's a communication gap with 'Fino and that effects his production. He also should be at the 2 and not the 3 to make better use of his skill set. I can live with a back court of Hunter/Blalock and Delfino. Heck, Hunter/Blalock, 'Fino, Dupree, Max and Dice and the floor doesn't seem all that bad. On Offense: Hunter and "Fino can move the ball on the break (not the greatest of passer, but they will pass the ball) and Dupree and Max can finish strong. Our half court puts Dice and Max at the rim. Defence: Dupree will hustle and rebound.
  12. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

he definetely has- everyone who saw him during the world championships can tell you about that. He brought the ball up very often and ran some plays. I would love to see him doing that for the Pistons too.
  13. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

Boy my jaw just about hit the floor this morning when I was reading the Free Press and quotes about Delfino being the only bright spot in the line-up with Chauncey out coming right from the twitching mouth of Flip Saunders. That must do a world of good for Carlos's confidence to have the coach say nice things about you that show up in the paper. Not that I'm a coach but I've always heard the philosophy of "praise in public, scold in private" works wonders on players. It's about time that Delfino will get some time running the point and look at the intriguing possibilities of having a big guard who can rebound looking to pass but still can drive and shoot the 3. It will create match-up problems for the other team but it does leave the Pistons vulnerable to the small quick guards that give us fits even when Chauncey is the PG. I'll be sitting back and getting the popcorn ready to see what happens once Chauncey gets back in the rotation to see if Flip Murray is still going to get minutes.
  14. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I hope when CB comes back we replace Murray as the back up PG with Delfino. I really believe that he can thrive at this position with all the weapons in front of him. Also think his shot would come around faster from here. He is a rythm player and I think that standing in the corner waiting for Rip and the other options without doing anything isn't helping him. He is a motion guy and needs to be moving. He is constantly cutting to the basket but it always seems like the play hasn't started yet.
  15. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Funny thing is Jaric is no more a PG than Delfino is.
    Seriously I doubt that Carlos could keep up with most PG's... Point forward?... sure nuff.
  16. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

That's the part I worry least about. If he can do a decent job containing Dwyane Wade and Leandro Barbosa at the 2, he can do a respectable job on most point guards, or at least as good a job as Chauncey and Flip can. The Tony Parkers, Allen Iversons, Devin Harrises - maybe not, but the Pistons have traditionally assigned Rip and Lindsey Hunter to those players anyway.

I'd worry more about his ability to handle full-court pressure from smaller players; Rajon Rondo had some success with that in the Boston game. He didn't cough it up, but he didn't have the speed or handle to dribble past it immediately, either.
  17. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

Play him with Lindsey Hunter and Lindsey guards the point. Of course Flip will put the ball in Lindsey's hands and Carlos will be spotting up on the weak side.
  18. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

See this is what happens when you rely on STATS to tell you the whole truth. "Stats" sure don't tell you when shots were hit or missed. They don't have "stats" for body language. Delfino might finish and he might not. Every time he shoots, I'm hollarin "NO NO." Same with Lindsey.

Ya know 16 as I'm typing this, I feel a lil better about Delfino overall. His best spot just might be at point since he ain't gonna light em up consistently. But that's OK if he plays within his game. But when it comes to pure shooting, let's not have a double standard for Delfino and LH.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

They actually do have a "clutch" stat that shows shots taken in 4th quarter or overtime with less that 5 minutes with neither team ahead by more than 5 points.

Here is Delfino's profile:

Carlos Delfino of the Detroit Pistons, clutch NBA player stats and data from 82games.com

In those situations this year, Carlos is 2 for 2 from inside the paint and 5 for 8 from outside, with one 3-pointer (which was very memorable). He leads the team with a FG% of .600 and an eFG of .700 under pressure.

The other Pistons rank:
    Dyess- .556
    Murray- .500
    Tay- .444
    Rip- .420
    CB- .346 (eFG of .423)
    Sheed- .304

Big men have the advantage since they tend to get those dunks and shots from inside the paint... unless your name is Sheed.

Until proven otherwise, Delfino is a pressure player.

[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/SIZE]
  20. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

''I'd worry more about his ability to handle full-court pressure from smaller players; Rajon Rondo had some success with that in the Boston game. He didn't cough it up, but he didn't have the speed or handle to dribble past it immediately, either.''

Another issue for Chauncey that suddenly disappeared when LB arrived. It's a valid concern for Delfino, but there's ways around that. Keeping another guard back for the first 5 seconds of the shot clock isn't going to kill the offense, I wouldn't think.