Breaking News The Brandon Exchange: Pistons acquire Brandon Jennings

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by jayborne, Jul 30, 2013.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've never been a fan of Brandon Jennings but I'm gonna keep an open mind.
    $8 million per year for the next 3 seasons isn't gonna kill us.

When I initially saw that the Pistons made this deal, I was worried sick that Joe kicked in $12 million per for 4 years. Thankfully, this didn't go down that way.
    I don't look at Jennings' contact as being a "bargain". I look at it as a fair contract for a player that will be making what he deserves to make (in the current NBA market). Relatively speaking, I think Brandon Jennings is an $8 million dollar per year Point Guard in today's NBA.
    brofmfa and KGREG like this.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Jennings can ball! Knight can't/couldn't. With Jennings it's a matter of getting a (slightly) better understanding of the game, I believe Chauncey and Mo can (and will) help in this area.
    armygirl and The Panda like this.
  3. McQuack

McQuack Bench Warmer

Now we don't have to worry about the PG spot for the next 3 years, and that's definitely a relief.

I wonder how Jennings will look when he play next to playmakers like Billups, Monroe and even J-Smoove. Last season he played with the likes of Ellis, Ilyasova, Dalembert, Dunleavy and Sanders. Not a great bunch of playmakers there. Jennings got a bad FG% because he have to take a lot of forced shots. He avg over 19 ppg on above 40% shooting before Ellis came to town.

That being said, I except Jennings to score less with higher efficiency this season, and rise his asssist average to around 7-8 per game.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  4. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

How about Scott Skiles? I don't see why Billups or Mo would be better mentors than him.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Chauncey has openly been talking about what a horrible experience playing at the 2 was and that he's coming back to play his real position.

Edit:

Some recent quotes:

Chauncey Billups has point to prove in return to the Pistons - Yahoo! Sports
  6. BallDon'tLie

I'm still worried.

If this happens, I won't be worried.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Different temperament's and better ability to relate and connect.
    mikhail1973 likes this.
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, Chauncey did go out of his way to emphasize that he is a point guard. Perhaps that will move him to the 2nd unit. My worst fear is now Stuckey will start at SG.
  9. BallDon'tLie

Hopefully Stuckey won't even be on the team.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

With Jennings, it seems like he has a bit of a fixation on his image. He wants to be an all-star and wants to be a max contract player, but it seems like it's more goal setting and trying to be the best (maybe to the point of delusion).

It may be just a case of Cheeks and Billups truly convincing Jennings that he can play a less selfish, less flashy style and get even more recognition, respect, and eventual pay. The talent is there.

The problem is that there are now 2 players like this that we are counting on to play a more disciplined style of bball. Smith on offense and Jennings on both ends of the floor.
  11. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

I fear we're overrating the impact that Chauncey, and even moreso, Mo Cheeks, will have on anyone. I'm sure they have insight, but it's not like Jennings has never played with a veteran PG or under a coach that was a PG.

Jennings has incentive to ball out here. He wanted big money and didn't get it now has to work for that big contract in a couple of years. He gets a change of scenery to what should be one of the league's more entertaining teams. He no longer has to play with Monta Ellis. He's the best guard on the team. He could be loved here. Just hope he can make the most of it.
  12. BallDon'tLie

Really hope that Pope Kentavious the 1st prooves you wrong on this
    linwood and roscoe36 like this.
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

KCP is a rookie and rookies get GT.
    Has that changed ?
    del and roscoe36 like this.
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is a remake of Darko's first day with Larry Brown.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Pistons have said that they want to win now. Well, was Knight ready to win now as a key point guard? He could be 2-3 years away--maybe and a big maybe. The team already has a young Drummond to bring along. The deal makes a lot of sense. You don't bring in Josh and wait 2 years for Knight to develop and hope.

I have been only luke-warm on Jennings but he is now experienced and has some talent. There is still upside there.

Obviously, this team is on the up swing in a big way. With Jennings and Josh and Monroe you have a lot of proven or mostly proven talent. Then, let Andre move forward and you have something.

The Piston front line may turn out to be the best in the league within two years.

Finally, after 4 years of misery, the team is back. The misery was necessary to get those top picks of Monroe and Drummond and (Knight into Jennings) which in turn attracted Josh.

The team should have totally been blown up after 2008 when Sheed said, "It's over." I do not abide by the revision of history that implies that Billips should not have been dealt. The mistake Joe made was upping Rip and thus only partially blowing up the team. Anyway, some misery was inevitable and it is all good now.
    brofmfa and BillLaimbeer like this.
  16. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Silvertongue is on vacation. His last article boosts...yes, you have already guessed it - Brandon Knight. We'll see how Silvertongue spins NEXT TIME! :whistling:
  17. BallDon'tLie

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize that the 36 year old version of Chauncey Billups was somehow being replaced by the 26 year old version of himself.
    If Pope can't manage to beat-out a guy who actually played against Rick Mahorn, Joe shouldn't have drafted him.
  18. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I know you're not dissing Mr. Big Shot !
    When any body on this team shows any kind of talent similar to Mr.BS then we all can rejoice.
  19. BallDon'tLie

This isn't your father's Chauncey Billups.
    Pope was 3 years old when Chauncey was the 3rd pick in the '97 draft.
    Chauncey's only good for 15 - 20 minutes a night and his slow-down style is only gonna work in certain siuations.

KCP needs to start or the Pistons are gonna need some help.
    jayborne likes this.
  20. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Detome is better now.
    If he gets rid of that bun on top of his head.