The anti-combo guard thread

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Superstarov, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Superstarov

Superstarov First Round Draft Pick

Long time, 1st time in a long time (hello all).

I need to take a minute to vent and regain my moral compass.

Articles like this, make me want to throw up:
    Michigan's Trey Burke tops of list of players readers want drafted by Pistons

It leads me to believe that the "readers" who voted have absolutely not watched the pistons struggle for the last several years with a revolving door of combo guards, and shooting guards in point guard bodies.

Rodney Stuckey - In my opinion, a 3 in a 2's body that Joe has a soft spot for and thought could develop into a 1. Call him what you want. I call him a point who doesn't pass and a 2 who doesn't have a decent enough J to earn any respect. I've been calling for the Pistons to cut ties with him for years. What do we even have to gain from letting Stuckey eat into the playing time of a younger player at this point? We know what we have, and it doesn't work.

Brandon Knight - A hard worker, competitive player. Undersized for the 2, and not equipped to be a full time 1, but he tries. I like the kid. But Joe needs to admit he made a mistake here and move on. I think his place is off the bench to relieve the starting 1 or 2.

Will Bynum - a spark off the bench - good chemistry with Drummond - scorer 1st. Surely a lot of heart and hustle, and again a 2 in an undersized 1's body. Again, I like Bynum, but if you keep Knight as the 1st guard off the bench, where does Bynum fit in?

Calderon - (the combo guard list stops here) A breath of fresh air for a few months. A true 1. Pass 1st, set up the offense. I think he's gone. He's not going to sit around at this phase of his career and wait for the team to become a contender. And frankly, with Drummond and Monroe, I think the team is better off getting a young 1 to go along with them. We don't want to be changing gears at the point in 2 or 3 years when Calderon hangs them up.

So if we're rebuilding, let's rebuild from scratch. We can't call last season's record a step in the right direction. It can only be called a reason to retool. And let's start from the ground up. We have a rare thing, two genuine bigs that can ball. Monroe is smooth, and Drummond is the emotion. Let's grab another rare thing, with a tall, pass 1st playmaker. Carter-Williams is the best risk/reward in my opinion. If he never develops an NBA quality jumper, at least he is still a true point. Stuckey hasn't developed an NBA quality jumper, and he also can't run an offense... so having a playmaker wins out in my mind.

I like Burke. I'm a U of M fan. But I don't want to add his name to the list above of undersized, shoot 1st combo guards that Joe D keeps parading out as the next big thing.

Ok. Rant over. Please Joe, Carter-Williams.

basketbills and TheeTFD like this.
  2. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Nice summation. I agree, but for the latter rebuilding from scratch. You can't go with a lottery pick (1-2) and expect them to be a starter. It just won't happen, because the outstanding talent is just not there and it will take a few years to develop. You need proven scorers or at least a specialization orientation that is provided in a trade or FA. The pistons needs players that can score and are self-motivated to do so. They rank 22 in that department and no such relief will come from the draft.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Burke seems pretty point guardy to me. He averaged about 6.5 assists per game in the NCAA tourney and secured the ball like crazy against some tough presses (heck of a job against Louisville even). He played like Chauncey in that he spent the first 75% of each game trying to get his teammates going and then took over when needed. Pretty mature style for his age. And when he called his own number, it was 3's and drives.

round and linwood like this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Welcome back Superstarov...good analysis...

Picking 8th, I feel Joe will just take the best available. He has made better choices the past three years than he did when were out of the lottery (except DM) so whomever he chooses at this point IMO opinion will be a contributor and not a real leader.

I don't see anyone in the draft making an impact on our team despite all that has been written about all of them. The pick is high enough that the player will probably make significant contribution (possibly more than Knight,) but don't think he will step up and be the leader....that leads us to the third round.....this upcoming season... I am OK with picking Burke though...

5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Calderon is good enough to get us to the second round as a 1. Which means he needs a 2 to run a primo half-court offence. If Burke will be better than Knight then do it. Now add in something that resembles Paul P. [the Celtic]

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If Burke is there at 8- I take him, if he's gone- I take MCW; although picking him over CJMc is a tough pill to swallow, but MCW is a legit PG. MCW is 6'6" (in shoes), can run run the offense, has superior court vision, can defend, has off the charts athleticism.....the only question is his jump shot, which doesn't look THAT bad mechanically speaking. Yeah as of today I have MCW over CJMc on KG's Big Board.

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

MCW fits the bill for guys i like to draft but you're basically drafting a set of attributes. He hasn't really done anything. He can pass the ball in transition and thread the needle against bad teams. That's it.

linwood likes this.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I disagree. I saw him to some outstanding things as a pg all year on a consistent basis. He just can't shoot the ball......BUT, his form is pretty solid so it's very possible that that will change over time; or not.

9. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The irony is that combo guards (aka. "scoring PGs") are starting to be pretty fashionable in today's NBA.
    Think Steph Curry, Tony Parker, Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, etc.

I want the best guy on the board when the Pistons pick irregardless of what position he plays or what size he is.
    Joe needs to draft the best available asset.

10. Slippy

I hope you are right about him. I like him but I get wary when the stats don't back up the eye test.

11. Slippy

Why do you always underline that word?

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

B
    But his stats do back it up. 7.3 asts/game at the college level is nothing to sneeze at. I've found that you really have to adjust your expectations for a player to match the college game which is very different than the pro game. At worst MCW is Grievis Vasquez; who I happen to like and if New Orleans offered him for ANY of our guards in a trade I'd take it in a heartbeat.

13. Slippy

14. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

This.

Scoring PG does not mean combo guard. A passing PG does not mean a good player.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

To lead your team through the big ten season and then to the Championship game is pretty impressive. Gotta give the PG a ton of credit for that.

16. max

max All-Star

High scoring point guards have always been around and been quit successfull. Isiah Thoman, Magic Johnson. Just as long as they know
    when to pass and when to shoot - that's the thing.

yea, Knight has not worked out like we thought, does not man that Burke will not.

Slippy likes this.
  17. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I Wish we could draft Oladipo or Otto Porter... :( Those are the type of players we really need.

That being impossible, I don't have a problem with drafting Burke or MCW.

18. Slippy

I'm still coming back to CJ. I'm ok with just about anyone in play at 8

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

CJ has some star potential.
    We could use a star I guess.

20. blueadams

blueadams Banned - Sent to NBDL

T

Friend,

There is a difference between combo guards - who can play both guard positions (like Joe Dumars), and tweeners - who can play neither (like Rodney Stuckey).

It's tweeners you hate.

Trust me, you love combo-guards.

The Panda likes this.