Breaking News The Annual Pistons January Transfer Bonanza

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mogilny, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

With a GM at the helm who makes Daryl Moreys transfer frequency look like Joe Dumars' we can be pretty sure big changes will happen as usual when the transfer window opens. What could and should those changes be? We have a couple of expirings in:

Corey Maggette 11M
    Richard Hamilton 5.5M
    Jason Maxiell 5M
    Will Bynum 3.5M

With JMax playing pretty well maybe his contract could be traded for some kind of pick to a contender? A very late 1st round? An early second round (if some contender have managed to acquire this)? Could Bynum net us a pick? Maybe Maggette could be used to facilitate some 4 team KGREG-like trade without bringing back loads of salary together with the pick?

Also, the way Stuckeys contract is structured, some team might want to take a flier on him as a off the bench guy. Half a year of his 8.5M contract and if he pans out he's an 8.5M expiring producing off the bench and if he's not he'll just cost 4M to get rid off - a semi-mulligan. I bet he needs to get his FG% up towards 30% before January for this to become realistic though.

What could be done?
    roscoe36 likes this.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wouldn't get rid of Max. He's a great value.

This isn't sentimental, although I do like him, but if you get rid of Max, you have to be starting Dre. And I don't see that unless the season is considered "over".

We're not a very big team.

That said, Bynum is tradeable with Stuckey coming off the bench. But Bynum has been one of our best players.

Mags, he's definitely tradeable.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I like the idea that Maggette could be used to facilitate some 4 team KGREG-like trade. I think we would end up with Paul Milsap and Marreese Speights.
  4. Mogilny

That would be the reason why to get rid of him. Even if he would be the best option at PF he's not really adding any value since a win or two extra won't add anything. I'd rather get some value for him than see him leave as an unrestricted free agent.
    I can't say I agree about Bynums performance but him playing well would be a reason to trade him with his contract running out.
    S.J. likes this.
  5. House Dressing

House Dressing Bench Warmer

Max has played himself into a decent contract this off-season from some team that has a better chance of making the playoffs than the Pistons. He'll be gone, so why not move him for a draft pick if possilbe. And, if he's traded in January, it will open up minutes for Drummund.
  6. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Even silvertongue spins cannot hide the fact that playoffs are out from the picture ...the core of the future are rookies ( or spohomore players) and therefore for dumars there is no reason to trade beforementioned older players for draft picks. THE QUESTION is: are playoffs with current but devloped team next year a possibility - if answer is "yes" - no trades for draft picks from Dumars...But unlikely from Rip and Tay from previous years - I'm sure neither Bynum nor Maxiell are in the longterm plans for Dumars so - trading for picks is on of viable options... But who knows...
  7. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Why would Maxiell walk as a FA when there's a 4 year $34M contract waiting for him in Joe's office?
    S.J. likes this.
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wouldn't now be the best time to transfer Greg Monroe? His value may never be higher. Even his bad game last night still showed as 8 and 15 in the box score.

Would Sacramento move Cousins for him straight up? Who says no there?

Cousins will shoot the ball and fit with Drummond..
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

:wave: This time last year I say heck yes to this, now not so much....unless there's some extra goodies coming in the package.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JIMMERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Walter

I think Monroe-Drummond is a better pairing than Cousins-Drummond. It's more versatile.
  12. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I've forwarded your post to Lawrence Frank (CC'd Joe Dumards).
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are there any examples of teams throughout NBA history that have scrapped the SF position and just added another PF?

For example, could we trot out:

Knight
    Singler
    Maxiell
    Monroe
    Drummond

You'd have to ask Monroe to do a little more passing. The pick setting would be unreal.

I'm open to the possibility that it would be horrible, but just wondering if the waters have already been tested in the past.

Please don't forward this on to management until we vet it out a little more.
  14. BallDon'tLie

The Jazz have done it this year with Paul Millsap at SF, Favors at PF and Al-Jeff at the Center spot.
  15. Walter

Yep. They've done it a couple of times last year too. I think the first time was kinda forced on them due to injury. IIRC, they had success with it too, but you gotta be able to read the game and adjust if necessary.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One thing that I've notice:
    The Pistons get 4% of their shot attempts on dunks and convert at a .922 rate.
    Our opponents also get 4% of their shot attempts on dunks and only convert at a .754 rate. OKC dominates in blocked shots and allows a .774 dunks against percentage for comparison. Considering that we foul way below the rate of our opponents, I'm going to conclude that we now have the best dunk defense in the NBA.

Also, we have drawn more charges this year than we have dished out. Obviously, this is a result of greatly reducing super collider's minutes.

Defensive stats are looking better and better to me.
  17. BallDon'tLie

If JMax was as good as Millsap, this might be worth doing.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It would be fun to see something really unconventional work and force teams to change their plans to deal with us. Maybe our eventual twin tower system with Singler as an oversized SG will do the trick.
  19. Mogilny

This is going to be so rad and Joe is going to do so many trades! I can't wait!
  20. BallDon'tLie

Starting Mike Abdenour at PF would also be unconventional.
    Teams probably wouldn't expect us to do that.

...or Joe could sign a teen wolf.
    [​IMG]