The 2010 NBA Champions will be ________?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by TaS, Oct 28, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It seems to be limited to 6 teams as far as I can tell. There is a huge difference between these 6 and the other 24. Maybe it is good that we are choosing now as a time to "retool".

Celtics
    Cavs
    Magic

or

Lakers
    Spurs
    Nuggets

The Magic and the Nuggets seem like the less likely choices, but they are still contenders.

I meant to do a poll, but screwed it up. If one of your insiders can set it up, it would be appreciated. Add an Other category as well, so that the die hard homers can select their team.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well I do agree with your final 6, but the soothsayer says that one of these teams will suffer a major injury and will extend to much trying to over come their loss and lose out before getting to the conference finals.. with that being said I hold off giving you my choice until June 10th 2010. :)
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The San Antonio Spurs!!!! Well at least that's who I'm rooting for, I'm completely convinced that:
    1. Artest will eventually eff up the Lakers
    2. Chauncey will not lead anybody pass the Conf Finals
    3. Clev still doesn't have what it takes and it looks like Shaq may have screwed up their squad big time.
    4. Orlando has Vince Carter, :loser: LOSER
    5. Boston Vs. San Anton, and as much as I can't stand Lil Frenchie, I love Dyess and I'm convinced that if he gets that far, you'd literally have to kill him to stop him from getting a ring.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I'm pullin' for the Spurs too KG.
    "Pistons West" REPRESENT!!!
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I could see Lebron getting a Wade type assist from the league and breaking the seal on his path to greatness. Cleveland really is a strong team with some big dudes. Ilgauskas off the bench? That is a hellova bench C. The one big question for me is whether Shaq in the paint will help or hurt Lebron. James settling for jump shots would be bad for them.

The Celtics and the Lakers appear to both be extremely deep with strong offensive and defensive capabilities. If Artest shows up to work every day, their big man might have an easy time defending. Kobe and Artest can contain some of the athletic slashers that normally cause defenses to crumble when they don't have strong big men. And it isn't like LA's big men are terrible. Odom and Bynum are capable of blocking shots, but no comment re Gasoft.

I agree that the Nuggs are flawed. Too many morons to hope to keep on the same page. But you never know. They had a serious chance last year. Maybe with Afflalo... oh never mind.

Orlando is a pretty obvious dark horse to pick. The problem is that while they picked up Carter, they also lost Turk. Turk has his issues, but he has been pretty good over the past two years. The net difference between them doesn't seem like enough to take them to Champs. I wouldn't be comfortable betting against them.

I also do think the Spurs will be good enough to have a chance this year. They are looking like those runner up Pistons teams that we fell in love with though. They have the capabilities, but they are aging (Duncan, Dyess, Ratliff, Ginobil) both with age and miles. If any team has a chance of further chronic injuries, you'd think it would be these guys.
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'd like to pull for the Spurs, but as long as Phil has a healthy Kobe, Lamar, Gasoft, Bynum and Artest,....Adam Morrison will probably get another ring which will be more than Rip, CB, Sheed, KG, or Pierce have and more than Barkley, Malone and Miller will ever have....

As a local I don't like it, but the Trifecta Dynasties that Phil has managed to get gift wrapped for him in 91-93, 96-98 and 99-01 is in effect again with the Derby or first leg already in the books...with the Preakness and Belmont in waiting...

The C's and Spurs look good on paper, but age could catch up with both teams before it is all said and done..
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I feel ya, that's my only reservataion.
  8. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

Either the Celtics or the [STRIKE]Chicago Bulls[/STRIKE] :stirthepot:
  9. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

I completely agree with KGREG. Obviously SA and BOS will have to dodge possible health issues, but both teams are extremely deep, play great D, and have bigtime experience. Every other team is very flawed(Orl, Cle, Den). As for the lakers, Artest over Ariza? Please.

Extremely hard to pick a finals winner. Boston is a little better on paper, but I'm gonna pick McDyess to finally get his ring. And Dejuan Blair could be a gem.

SA over BOS in 7
  10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

No one has mentioned the Blazers.
    I don't think they'll rep the West in the finals but they just might make it to the WCFs.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Good test for them tonight against the Nuggs.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I think you're right on the money KGREG. SAS will be tough this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they win the West.

BTW, a Celtics-Spurs final would be an awesome series. About as good as it'd get without the Pistons in there.
  13. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Excellent points. The defense of Artest/Kobe is why teams like Denver, Hornets, Blazers etc won't have a chance against Lakers in a 7 game series. However, Duncan & Dyess would be a very tough matchup for the Lakers front line.

While I do agree with you about the age/injury issue with the Spurs, remember that Popovich is one of the best in the league in managing his players minutes.

If both teams are healthy, I'd give Spurs the edge.
  14. Terry T

Terry T First Round Draft Pick

When was the last time the NBA has seen a front court as good as KG, Paul Pierce and Rasheed? If they are healthy, they win.
    If not then the winner of Lakers v. Spurs takes it.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Spurs looked goood last night, 61 pts off the bench, that's just CRAZY!!!! They have a bench of Manu, Mason Jr, Dyess and Blair....WHEW!!!!
  16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I'll have to go with Boston..

But the final will be Boston vs San Antonio.

Or Maybe Joe D'll do some trade and we can be a Contender team this year..

At least that is what I hope..
  17. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Starter 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Bos or SA, although I go for the latter since Bos relies on KG too much while SA is balanced as hell and Timmy is anything but injury prone. I'd love to see Dyess get his damn ring and I'd truly root for him and the Spurs.
    The Cavs made a huge mistake by getting Shaq who seems to hinder teams more than to help them. He's only bringing some media attention, but improvements? Nope.
    Denver has absolutely no D, the Magic definetely have worsened by getting Carter the ballhog.
    Ok, and then there's LA - depends on how the Artest experiment will pan out - if he keeps his head straight, LA is just as strong as the Spurs and stronger than the Celts. It's an open race and for someone who started following the NBA when the Bulls tore every team apart with ease, that's enought to be excited. Only sad thing is that this is the first year I'm afraid the Pistons could miss the playoffs since Thorpe and Terry Mills played in the front court.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Boston is looking like the best team to me. Their defense is suffocating right now. Sheed with 20 points off the bench? He's going to love that role.
  19. Buckeyes#1

Buckeyes#1 First Round Draft Pick

Whichever one Stearn and the refs pick I guess. As for me, I say the Boston Seal licks.

My son, who is 26 and probably knows more basketball than several of us put together, when he was about 6, came running to me all excited, saying the Boston Seal licks are on dad, the Boston Seal licks! Fortunately I got him straightened out and he is now a die hard Piston and Lion fan. Don't worry. I've apologized profusely over the years about influencing him to be a Lions fan. Looking back on it, now I think that is child abuse.
  20. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

With your son being a Pistons and Lions fan...there is another team that wears the color BLUE that he could root for. They're AMAIZEING...