Tearing down, building up

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by 16 Mile, Oct 15, 2005.

1. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

I didnt like LB last year (understatement), but from the the early buzz in training camp it likes like Arroyo, Delfino, and Darko are proving they may be the real deal, and I think most of the reason has to be because they went through LB's boot camp last year.

However, at some point, the coach has to start building the self esteem of the players back up, start giving them some confidence, which is the main reason LB is gone and Flip is here. Could Flip have taught Darko all the things he's learned over the last two year? Probably not, but if LB was still here, he'd probably play JMax over Darko.

In the end, you just have to trust Joe, cause he seems to know when to bring in the right people at the right time. And right now, it's time to build our young guys back up.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

LMAO. I told you that I liked you even though I didn't agree with you. ;)

I think of the three, Darko is the one who has shown the most. Delfino and Arroyo still seem to be finding their game in Flip's system.

I'll agree to that 100%. LB is about instant results from a win perspective. He's a teacher, but doesn't preside over the graduation ceremony.

That's tough because it's hard to say Flip wouldn't have been more successful, or Larry wouldn't have been different. One thing is sure if you try to read "every" source. LB was hard on everyone and eventually people tune that out. Sheed, Darko, anyone will adapt and lose interest.

I don't trust Joe. I want him to show me this year. It looks like Flip has a full deck to play with. There doesn't seem to be any Smush Parkers, Darvin Hams or Horace Jenkins on this roster. From top to bottom, there is a lot of talent.

There big question is how the season plays out, and the new coach is able to get that talent to realize great things.

It was time for a change. LB is a coach for a certain circumstance. Now we find out if Flip is the right coach for our current situation. I hope he is because it would be very cool to be champs again. It would be even sweeter if we can beat the Spurs.
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

16 Mile....The hated LB who brought us one championship and two finals appearances in two years may have done some things right? Pretty generous of you to make that statement about a Hall of Fame Coach.
  4. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

No, the players brought that opportunity to him. We were a very good team before LB came, and Dumars handed him Rasheed Wallace and uncovered a gem in Tayshaun Prince.

I thank LB for helping improve some of our players (mostly Chauncey), but the championship had much more to do with the players than LB.
  5. himat

himat Bench Warmer

It was the trade for Rasheed that got us to championship level. If we had not gotten him we probably would of lost in a game 6 or 7 against Indy. Maybe we could of lost to the Nets too. Luckily for us we have him.

I didn't like putting this in, but its the truth Memo would get pounded by JO, and K mart.
  6. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

to piggy back on that thought, if it only took coaches to win, The heat should have won a ring by now.
  7. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Are you talking about Riley, or Van Gundy?
  8. max

max All-Star

I agree

Probably would have traded all three Darko, Delfino and Arroyo if LB had stayed. Then some other team would have benifited.
  9. bball jay

bball jay Bench Warmer Forum Donor

The hated lb that coached us to 1 championship. then lost another championship.

yeah. he did some things right in his first year. but he did lots of things wrong. especially the way he handled the youngstsers. which cost us the championship. darko was ready to come in and give us 2 minutes against duncan. but lb is gone and the tayshaun at power forward era is over.
  10. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LB hindsight

LB seems to be the kind of coach that, from a player's perspective, is more appreciated once he's gone.

I think of guys like A.I. and Dalembert to name just a few.

He expects a lot out of his players, especially his guards, but I also think he helps them mature into men. Wether you agree or disagree with his methods, his results are usually pretty good.

I wonder what guys like Darko, Delfino and Arroyo will be saying about him in a few years? Will they give LB credit or will they continue to hold a grudge?
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It probably won't matter because he will be looking for another job and having to deal with the criticism of not developing X, Y and Z.

Btw, I read today that LB is in love with Nate Robinson. I wonder how long that will last?
  12. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

Yeah they appreciate him now that he's gone, they dont have to listen to his bs.
  13. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I personally think that this Brown teaching thing is way over done. There is no doubt in my mind that Brown and his staff taught Darko some things like positioning on the floor, rotating on defense etc, but it is my opinion that Darko has learned more from his fellow players and practicing against them day in and day out than he did from Brown.

Some people respond better to tough love and some to tender love. I think Darko definitely responds better to tender love which means he will learn more under a coach that builds him up like Flip as opposed to one who constantly tears him down like Brown.

So far the facts on the floor are supporting this opinion.
  14. Abe Froemen

Abe Froemen First Round Draft Pick

tender love

God I hope Flip isn't giving Darko some tender love!!! :eyebrows::eek: lol
  15. LanierFan

LanierFan Bench Warmer

I don't like LB's way of leaving either, but if you're claiming facts then you have to account for them all.

* Darko is 20 now instead of 18, which means huge strides physically and mentally.
    * He had a full summer of work for the first time in three seasons.
    * He gained confidence by earning the right to play for his country, while vindicating himself in the basketball community he grew up in.
    * He comes back more at ease with the customs, language & team.
    * And yeah, he has a coach who's rewarding him with PT.

Let's not make Flip the sole cause or Larry the sole problem. The kid is growing up and we can only hope the Pistons make the most of it.
  16. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

Pat Riley
  17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

That makes sense then.
  18. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

I'l take that to the bank... Nice analysis
  19. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

LanierFan You Make Good Points

I apologize if my intent was misleading.

My intent was not so much to credit Flip and discredit Brown though I it is easy to see how what I wrote could be interpreted that way.

The point that I was trying to make is that Darko has learned a lot over the past two years and a lot of that was not from Brown but from others like his teammates and Piston assitant coaches. That was the main point that I was trying to make.
  20. max

max All-Star

re

Darko said Browns yelling and screeming never bothered him because his coach in Serbia was 10X tougher. He just wanted to play. It bothered him being the human victory cigar.