1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Talk about a sinking ship

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by ggazoo69, Sep 7, 2005.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

This team is absolutely limping into the end of the season. Sabathia strikes out 10 Tigers tonight and tosses a complete game. When Detroit gets pitching, they can't hit; when they hit, the pitching blows. Cleveland owns Detroit on the diamond, and I hate the Indians. :doh:

2. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Tigers Disappoint

It seems to me this team is underachieving. I've got to believe that Dombrowski and Ilitch see it that way. My guess is that if they finish 8 or more games under .500, Tram is out. I really question whether he has the "right stuff" to be a top major league manager, though he was one of my favorite players. There just seems to be something missing -- perhaps leadership qualities.

3. detteam

detteam All-Star

The 'missing' is the pitching. Except for the last week or so, the runs have been there most of the year. The bullpen looks pretty good overall. The starters have been inconsistent, but they're all young.

For me...to pin this all on Tram is not right and I think the front office would be in agreement. I can't see many moves by Tram this year that would support his ouster.

4. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Poor Tram...

Tram was my favorite Detroit Tiger growing up....but, I sincerely believe they are underachieving. Changes will definitely have to be made next year and I don't think it is the players. Regardless, they need to make sure he remains a part of the organization if a change does happen.

5. pistonsloyalist

Yes, but

I don't blame it all on Trammel, and my complaint about him is not so
    much about moves he did or did not make, but rather about his managerial style and whether he commands the respect of his players and gets 100% out of them. Not every great player has what it takes to be a great manager. Indeed, it seems pretty rare for a great player to make that transition.

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

We have a manager and some coaching staff that has experienced greatness under one of the greatest managers of all time. Who would you choose to replace them?

7. pistonsloyalist

How about Gibby?

Well, some other posts have mentioned Leyland as a candidate, and I think he has established himself as a very good major league manager and ought to be given careful consideration. Back in 2002, I would have chosen Kirk Gibson over Trammel as manager. I think Gibby is more articulate and more intelligent than Tram -- and, most important, I think he plainly projects more authority than does Tram. Gibby is far more effective than Tram in front of the media, and I think Gibby's fiery style would actually draw people to the park (I don't think Tram does that). Gibby just seems to have more of of a manager's personality than does Tram.

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

The Tigers need a boot in the behind and Tram jsut is too nice of a guy to do it. The day he let Pudge run over him was the day he lost this team. You can't allow anyone to disrespect you or challenge your authority. Even if he is an over paid has been.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just heard the Maroth report on WDFN an hour or so ago. The players are not too impressed with Pudge. It might be time to let the prima donna walk the plank and give Tram one more year.

I imagine it would go a long way to helping him if management backed him by removing a negative attitude. The clubhouse would recognize that management (if not Tram) will not tolerate that kind of BS.

Pudge WAS a great player. He's not all that and a bag of chips anymore. Not without the steroidal injections.

10. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I second that. Weight loss my foot!!!

11. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Pudge

I agree. He was clearly a steroid user. A guy I go to school with theorizes that Bonds didn't come back until he did because he had to wait until his system was clean. :confused:

12. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Baseball sucks

The umpires can call any strike zone they want. It's completely arbitrary.
    Until they make a computerized strike zone, and bring the game into the 'nineties. It's a piece of crap. We bat .282 (third best in the league) but can't get a clutch hit. Pudge aint the problem, the city is being discriminated against. Not to mention 200 mil. dollar budgets vs 75 mil dollar payrolls. And a players union that condones cheating-roids!!! I hope congress steps in and reams them a big new one !!!
    :puke: :spy: :rip:

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Is hard not to like this kind of Baseball

Final score 11 to 7. Anyone who says 4 to 3 or 3 to 2 games are fun are

purists. :blah: :blah:

The same guys that didn't like the wild card. In this playoff game they traded runs for 6 straight innings. It was a bloody prize fight!:boxing:
    I doubt Leyland can help this team now. If we can keep this lineup together for 3 more years and Maroth improves and Bonderman stays healthy maybe we break the .525 mark.

14. detteam

detteam All-Star

The tech is already there for the digital strike zone (just like the football FD yellow line...though the actual spot is still up to the ref).

One day soon we could have no need for officials/umps/refs/linesmen/wasted TO's...everyone would be able to see the 'digital' ruling on the stadium bigscreen.

I, personally, am not looking forward to that day. I like IR for obvious F-ups, but would rather not see computer-solved game dilemma's. (I was pissed at the Lion's TD/notTD/after-game-league-agreed-TD against the Bucs last week...but it's part of the game.) It would take away a lot of the controversy/speculation/FUN we all have on the boards and elsewhere following the game. The calls are a BIG part of the game. IR is just there to keep the officiating honest. Whether it can reasonably be introduced to baseball is something I don't know.

If not for the human element of bad calls...we might as well ALL be playing video games...

15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I can't accept human foibles were trust is envolved

Sure there will always be a need for the human eye. But blunders don't have to be tolerated. Especially not for a business game. Do you want to get it right or not?:frusty:

Tell me more about the computerized strike zone. Is it "real" good?