Stuckey requests for Singler to start

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Nov 16, 2012.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He still wants the ball, just not at the start of each half. I think he's hoping that he can become a Ginobili type player and get his reputation back.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

:pound:
    roscoe36 likes this.
  3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Stuck wants the ball alright, how else is he going to go Super Colliding? On the second unit, he's first and second option, has the ball in his hands 100% of the time and can go colliding with no repercussions because the bench "needs" his offense.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That just made me nauseous
  5. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Kinda makes this team a train wreck.
  6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Yep. If his hey! isn't going, it's more like a train wreck combined with a ten car pileup. Having someone as ineffective as Maggette has been so far on the floor at the same time compounds the issue, which may be why Kyle is kept in when the rest of the starters get their rest.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Detroit Pistons cancel practice, leaving Rodney Stuckey's status still in question after benching | MLive.com

A commenter on this article provided an interesting thought in response to these quotes. Maybe Frank asked Stuckey to come back to the starting lineup and he declined, with the rationale that he can't be effective as a SG with a bunch of non shooters on the floor (mainly Max and Monroe). Knight and Monroe do a lot of distributing and Tay does a lot of palming. Maxiell clogs. There is a reason that Stuckey wanted out of that situation earlier this year and it probably still holds.

I hadn't thought of that before, but given these quotes, it sort of fits.

Frank was possibly not liking the way that Stuck was meshing with the 2nd unit and wanted to follow the strategy that Bynum laid out where Singler would move to the 2nd unit and complete the Magic/Howard model of mini PG + 3 shooters + predator. He couldn't purse the strategy sooner, otherwise it would seem like he was a worse coach than Bynum.
  8. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

While Frank will never be confused with Phil Jackson, he's not as dumb as people around here think he is. Stuckey is a terrible player, yet the Pistons accommodate him as if he's Kobe Bryant or D-Wade. I need the ball, I need this, I need that, I need about 30 mpg....I think Frank said ENOUGH ALREADY! Think about this, if you give Rodney EVERYTHING he wants and/or needs to be successful....what do you get? A guy who gets you 16ppg in a loss while struggling to shoot 40% ! I'll pass. Since his return there has been a noticeable drop off in the production of Daye, Singler and BoT because Rodney is a ball stop and he's cut into Kyle's role because we have to get Rodney about 30mpg.
    The Low likes this.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Right, but why would Frank bring up the need to play with certain guys? The alternative to the above scenario is that Stuckey was complaining about the 2nd unit and trying to get Frank to rearrange it (maybe sit Bynum?).
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Good article. That quote could be quite the smoking gun if it weren't for the fact that Frank has a force field separating his first and second groups.

If this were Rip he would have cussed Frank out in front of the team and ordered him to get him a Gatorade by now.
    KGREG likes this.
  11. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

All I see with this mess is a situational player who needs to be dealt away......fussing at a
    situational coach whose best career move would be to insist that Stuckey be moved.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  12. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Players in the top 3 salaries on a team are meant to be starters (or super subs), and should be able to play anywhere. If you have to build a certain setup for a player to be successful IMO then they are a marginal bench player. We have two PG's that fit that MO, one is greatly overpayed and the other actually does the job better.

I think we've reached a point that Stuckey really needs to be traded for the best of everyones interest.
    Nemo likes this.
  13. junkyarddog

junkyarddog First Round Draft Pick

Probably but rush-trading Stuck now as is value is at his lowest is not a good idea too in my opinion : Is there any team in the NBA who will be interested ? We will proabably have to dump a draft pick like we have done for Gordon (Or an expiring contract)
    I don't think this is the right solution.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

We actually reached that point well before Joe decided to set the market price and bid against himself with Stuck's current contract.
    By the way, sorry for flooding the forum with negative posts regarding this little transaction back then (at the beginning of last season). I couldn't hve been more wrong about the Stuckey signing. I appologize to anyone who disagreed with me.

Someone needs to take Joe's shovel away so he can stop digging these holes.
    There just has to be a team out there with a trade exception and a 2nd round pick burning a hole in there pocket.

I absolutley believe that this franchise would move light-years ahead in their quest to return to championship form by simply removing Stuckey, Prince and Villanueva from the active roster.
    ...Simply pay these clowns to stay home if that's what it takes.
    Nemo and KGREG like this.
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If Joe can find a team that will take Stuckey off our hands via trade (without us givig up an asset or taking back someone else's garbage) then he should win the GM of the year award.
    Nemo and The Low like this.
  16. Laimbrane

Laimbrane All-Star Forum Donor

I would have said the same thing about Villanueva up until he actually started playing well this year. He's overpaid - there's no doubt about that - but he actually seems to be playing hard, has a pretty significant role, and is contributing in a way that's a benefit to the team. You don't pay to make a guy like that go away, you get the most out of him that you can.

Prince, on the other hand, I could take or leave. He's an above-average SF but an overrated leader and, like Stuckey, does not use his skills within the flow of the team (he's last on the team in +/-). Stuckey is the same way - if he found the right team, he'd be a valuable contributor, but round was right when he said that Stuckey leaving the team is the best situation for everyone.
    The Low likes this.
  17. junkyarddog

junkyarddog First Round Draft Pick

Wow.... Why puting Tay in the same group as Stuck and Charlie ? Past two years of Prince were terrible but he is having a decent year and I don't think he is a cancer for the team as you seems to say
    For Charlie, we just need to amnestize him at the end of the year and that will be fine (although I like his change of attitude this year)

Ne need to rush right now, the rebuilding is on the way...
  18. max

max All-Star

if we can see that the Pistons play better wo Stuckey then I am sure the coach can as well. This is not just some fans ranting on the forum - the wins/losses are there as proof. The Pistons play better without Stuckey.

Maybe Frank is just trying to do whats best to get wins to save his job. Who knows how long Dumars will be here as we all know Dumars will never admit that Stuckey is a mistake.
    Nemo likes this.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The value the Pistons would get for trading Stuckey is not having him on the team and in the way anymore.

They don't need to ask for a lot.
    Nemo and BallDon'tLie like this.
  20. max

max All-Star

No one is going to want to trade for Stuckey. Only value he has is that his contract expires after next year. It will have to be a salary dump and I dont know what kind of contract we would have to take on to make it happen. Amnesty him and fire Dumars before this summer - before he can spend more money.
    Nemo likes this.