1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Stuckey re-signs for 3 years / $25m

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Rocastle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

At the CG (colliding guard) position.

menten likes this.
  2. Brap

Brap Starter

With CV out the first 4 games, I'd guess Daye will play PF behind JJ, and SF behind Tay. Maxiell will also get a lot of minutes. So, Tay, Daye, JJ, Monroe and Maxiell will be our front court for awhile.

That means for the first 4 games, we'll see a Bynum and Knight at the point, and Stuckey and Gordon at the 2.

3. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Which, IMO, is the way it should be. Who cares about CV, does he really ADD anything? Cripes.

4. BillLaimbeer

Daye is way too soft to play PF. He is closer to SG than PF.

5. hitafreethrow

And CV is harder? Like I said, CV is useless. I hope Max gets those minutes at PF, because moving Daye to play PF is absurd, and I hope Frank knows this. We are so thin, it's not even funny.

6. BillLaimbeer

Should Vernon Macklin get some of those minutes?

7. hitafreethrow

YES!

8. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Jake Voshukl shoulda got some of those minutes..........

9. hitafreethrow

10. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If that's true - that's depressing.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Well, I am truly happy they signed Stuckey. Anyone who makes their living crashing to the basket to score is a guy we need in Piston land. And as a backup point, behind Knight - perfect.

I loved the way the new coach tried a starting backcourt of Knight and Daye in the 2nd preseason game. And despite some problems during the game, he stuck with these two in crunch time and we won with them.

Gordon, trade the guy fast. Don't let another season be ruined by trying to shoehorn a guy into the rotation. Between Daye, Knight, and Stuckey, they can easily cover the minutes at guard.

Macklin, the anti - CV. Macklin only plays around the basket. Good. From what I can see, in limited minutes I must say though, is good enough defense and rebounding alone to let him play. I believe we will see plenty of offense from him too, all from under the basket. We'll see. But man, what a huge amount the money the Pistons can save if Macklin pans out and they can lose the large contract of CV. (and most importantly, we just need to lose his soft play.)

Finally, JJ needs to be our backup small forward to Tay. His first year, he ended up being a darn good fill in while Tay was out with injury, but then, for no good reason of any sort, they never let him be Tay's backup after Tay returned.

A rotation:

Knight, Daye, JJ, JMAX, Monroe

2nd unit: Stuckey (with Daye or Knight taking turns playing with the 2nd unit), Tay, Ben Wallace, Macklin.

This is changed up a bit from a previous rotation I posted before using the same nine players. For one, it leaves Stuckey, Ben Wallace, and Tay grouped together so as to give some continuity from last year.

It pairs JMAX and JJ, so that JMAX can just do the fighting under the basket while JJ collects the rebounds - letting each do what they do best.

Knight, Daye, and Monroe, the core of our future team is grouped together. (no change from last rotation there)

Tay is in the 2nd unit, so that when you have Stuckey paired with Daye in the backcourt, you got Tay to help with the ball handling chores.

Now here is a another rotation:

Knight, Daye, Tay, Monroe, Macklin

2nd unit: Stuckey, Knight or Daye take turns with the 2nd unit, JJ, JMAX, Wallace

This rotation puts nothing but fairly capable offensive players in the starting unit, while relying on a ton of length on the defensive end.

The 2nd unit would contrast greatly with first unit, a much more physical set of up front defenders. JJ again compliments JMAX well enough, and if JJ can knock down a consistent outside shot - something he has shown promise of - it might just not be too crowded around the basket for Stuckey to drive to the basket.

PS, that other rotation I posted in another thread, just for reference was Knight, Daye, Tay, Ben Wallace, Monroe starting with Stuckey, (Knight or Daye), JJ, JMAX, Macklin for the 2nd unit.

12. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I agree Lee. There has to be a few teams looking for an undersized shooting guard, who can't play defense and is best suited coming off the bench who makes about 12 million per year. Get on it Joe.

13. Brap

Brap Starter

This year is different. The schedule is incredibly compact, and the Pistons aren't going to challenge for anything meaningful, aside from a ton of ping pong balls - and that's perfect. The thing about the compact schedule is that everyone on the roster is going to get signficant playing time. We can totally use the time to evaluate Gordon this season - even though I agree with the sentiment that Gordon should be moved - while still giving Stuckey, Knight, Bynum and Daye plenty of PT at the guard position. So Gordon getting a lot of PT is not the problem it would have been in a normal year.

That said, I do think it would be better to trade Gordon for a big defensive center - if we can't attract a good FA big guy.

If Bengo doesn't work out into a top sixth man again, we can use the amnesty clause next season, and nobody on our roster this season will lose development time from his play this year.

14. BillLaimbeer

They have to play Gordon a lot early and see if he can do anything. If he doesn't bounce back to his Bulls' days where he was putting up 21 ppg, then use the amnesty on him right away and move on.

basketbills likes this.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That makes sense. He should have a chance to see what he can do with Rip and Kuester gone. He has no trade value so the amnesty would work.

16. Brap

Brap Starter

Can't use amnesty until next season.

Optimally, gordon gets his value around the league built back up, and we trade him for something good.

17. BillLaimbeer

You are correct. You have to use the amnesty before the season begins.

18. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Shooting guard.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Gordon would return to form simply by getting him out of Detroit. I don't think the Pistons will ever play a style that will suit him.

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Funny, I can't help but believe in my heart of hearts that Ben Gordon is better than James Harden and Jason Terry. Is it possible that Ben's biggest issue as to why he hasn't developed here is because the aforementioned play with and off of Dirk and Kevin Durant and BG plays with and off of..............Tayshaun Prince?