Stuckey re-signs for 3 years / $25m

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Rocastle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

Jerry Stackhouse wasn't much of a shooter, but he was an all-star as a penetrating SG who got fouled a lot. And Stuckey is a superior ball handler compared to Stackhouse. It's just not true that only guys who can shoot the ball at a high percentage can play SG (or any position for that matter). The real question is how Knight and Stuckey and Monroe and Jerebko and Daye (the core guys going forward beyond this year - potentially) play together.

On that roster, even assuming Stuckey never becomes a great outside shooter - he sure as hell is a high performing mid-range shooter, penetrator and And-1 player, and he sure as hell is an outstanding ball handler, and tough defender. Daye is a super shooter, and Jerebko looks to me like a guy who will knock down open 3 pt looks - and both of these guys will do a lot of damage rolling to the rim. Both have great handle. Brandon Knight is about as fast and quick as anybody in the league (the NBA Draft Measurements confirm what my eyes tell me there), a super penetrator, a great outside shooter, and he sure seems like a real PG to me. Monroe will likely be a great high post big man - hitting cutters and open long range shooters, as well as having a really nice scoring touch himself. As for offensive rebounding, Monroe and JJ are great at that, and I think Daye at SG will kill defenders on his at that position, as will Stuckey.

Call me crazy, but I like the possibilities. Just I'm not sure if we'd be better off with a Ray Allen type at SG instead of a Stackhouse type there. If it isn't a big fit, Stuckey could certainly be traded.

And I love the defensive potential of Knight, Stuckey, Jerebko and Monroe, and even the length of Daye makes him hard to shoot over. Add in the mystery big man we'll draft in 2012, and we could be onto something here.
    Slippy likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Hello Mr. crazy........:)
  3. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I think it's a stretch to compare Stuckey to Stack.....and I don't think Stuckey is a great mid-range shooter as you mentioned.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

I should have said great scorer - he really is an efficient scoring guard when you take his And-1's into account. As a more full time SG, he should be that much better. I believe we'll see Stuckey blossom in a solid system, with a fine young PG, and with a quality coach.

Even his critics should acknowledge that Stuckey has played for a messed up team for the last few seasons. That would effect any player, aside, I suppose, for a dominant one-man show like LeBron or Wade.
  5. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

Jerry Stackhouse had a defined and recognized skill set and position. We're in year 5 with Stuckey and people can't quite figure it out what he does other than draw contact and abuse small PGs on the drive. But he isn't a PG.
    Ernie the Slow Adult likes this.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Jerry Stackhouse AVERAGED 30 ppg for a season as a Piston.
    To my knowledge, Rodney Stuckey has passed the 30 point mark maybe 3 or 4 times in his career.

Stackhouse was a pure freaking scorer who could carry an offense on his shoulders.
    Rodney has proven at times that he can be a decent scorer

...there's a bit of a difference there.
  7. Brap

Brap Starter

We'll see, I guess. Truth is that Stuckey's never had the chance to be a dedicated SG. Mostly, he's played the point.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I knew that was coming.
    Tell me Brap, Who in the heck did Jerry Stackhouse play with?
    ...Michael Curry?
    ...Jud Buechler?
  9. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

That's the thing. He scores off isolation using power. Not likely to be as effective at a position where he won't always have a size advantage. And he isn't much of a threat to hit a jumper in your face.
  10. linwood

linwood All-Star

Jud Buechler never had a great coach.
    basketbills, Nemo and BallDon'tLie like this.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

Interesting fact (according to Wikipedia) about Jud Buechler:
    is the all-time NBA leader in "trillions" (logging playing time in a game but not getting anything for the stat sheet, resulting in a number followed by 12 zeroes), with 55.
  12. Brap

Brap Starter

Stuckey will destroy just about every other SG on the planet with his speed, and he's as physical as any of them. SG's are going to have a really hard time staying in front of him.

Besides, he'll be utilizing a ton of pick and rolls.

I'm not downplaying how good Stackhouse was. He was great. I just think Stuckey can be as good or better.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'd rather have Stuckey and Knight start together and Gordon come off the bench.

We'll probably start with Stuck/Gordon for a while, but I can't imagine it will last for long.
  14. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

You'd be correct, actually. Justin Rodgers confirmed that the account was Stuckey's, just hours before he took it down. He said on twitter that he'd ask Stuck about that in a few days, after I mentioned it to him.
  15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

7 footers are a lot more common place now than they were years ago. Every team has at least one 7 footer now. Solid bigs are really no less common than solid guards. And Kwame isn't even close to being a "solid big".

I'm sure you think that Afflalo deserved twice what he was paid though (5/43) since, you know, you believe he's at least twice that player that Stuckey is, like most here.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

To my knowledge, Stuckey has never attempted more than 14ish FGA per game. Stackhouse AVERAGED 24 field goal attempts per game during the year he scored 30 PPG. Dude was a full blown chucker.
  17. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Rodney! You're back! We missed you man!
  18. jayborne

jayborne Bench Warmer

But solid bigs are less common than solid guards. And Kwame is a solid big. But he's Kwame Brown so he must be the worst player ever or something since he didn't live up to being the #1 pick. Might be a bit overpaid, but it's a one year deal. He's a decent post defender at least at using his body on a team without any.
  19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Kwame can't catch, finish or rebound the ball effectively. I think it's a stretch to call him solid. He's okay at defending big guys in the post, but quick guys will give him fits.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Quote from Stuckey in a Detnews article....

"Whatever position I need to play, I'll play," Stuckey said. "I know I'll play a lot of 2 (shooting guard) this year and also point, so I just need to learn both positions".

No comment required.