Stuckey re-signs for 3 years / $25m

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Rocastle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We can all agree that Stuckey is a better PG than Kwame Brown, right?
  2. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Dude looks like a thug, that's the reason. Thug look is okay for me 'cuase me looked more ugly than him. :cheeky-smiley-012:
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

FYI, Afflalo got 5yr/$43M.
  4. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Do I think Stuck is the player I thought he'd be 3 years ago... heck no. I do think he's a good player in the NBA, and while he has had the silver spoon shoved down his throat from day one (to mine and mosts horror), he has also had 3 years of horrible coaching and a GM with his hands tied. I didn't want us to give him the moon in a contract, but with the contract he was given I am ok with it. I think there is potential still there to be a better then average guard in this league.... and on a team with leaders he can follow. He can't shoot a lick from outside, but when paired with Knight who can shoot from outside, I think the combo can work.

Knight runs the team, but at times Stuckey can run the play... where he drives and kicks or goes to the hole. He can handle some point, he's just not a PG. A cheap mans Dumars, and maybe thats why he's so stuck on him... he see's himself all over again.
  5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All Stuck has to do is demonstrate that he did more over the past seven months than count his soon to appear cash. If he was in the gym every day putting up a thousand or so jumpers, working on his form, making his game better, then he's worth the money. If his jumper is no better this year then his agent is a con artist and Joe is a fool. The weaknesses in his game were clear, and what he could do to alleviate them was also clear. Time will tell.
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Um, ...no.
    We would have signed somebody else besides Rod Stuckey. Perhaps a player with a more versitile skill set than putting his head down and plowing into the teeth of the defense. A shooting guard who can "shoot" perhaps?

The amount means something to me.
    I happen to be a Pistons fan who wants to see his team spend their money as effectively as possible. Allocating resources to a dude who could help us in the frontcourt (ok ...NOT Kwame Brown) seems like a good idea to me. SG is the easiest position to fill in the NBA. No need to over-spend to get one.

...and yes, Joe most certainly DID bid against himself.
    No amount of LSD would allow me to conjure up a hallucination where another team would have offered Rodney Stuckey $8 mil a year.

I hope that Rodney proves me wrong this year. I hope that Larry Frank lites a fire under Collider's butt and he manages to add things to his game that he has severely lacked up to this point in his career. I'm losing hope though. Rodney's been a rookie guard for way too long for me to continue to "hope".
  7. max

max All-Star

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...-nuggets-re-sign-arron-afflalo-five-year-deal

Did any other team covet Stuck.
  8. BallDon'tLie

:behindsofa:
  9. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

Afflalo, Danilo Gallinari, and Ty Lawson are generally regarded as the most valued players, along with Nene, in the Nuggets' post-Anthony world, according to most basketball followers...

Rodney Stuckey is generally regarded as a valuable player by Joe Dumars.

I would assume a big fat NO........
  10. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

My favorite quotes from the same Freep article.

Glad to know he spent his downtime working hard and trying to get better.

Now he isn't talking about Stuckey, but maybe this is why Joe thought Stuckey should be a point. If Stuckey could of figured out the first three parts of being a traditional point guard maybe he could of been a traditional point.
  11. raxrets

raxrets Starter

Stuckey was not, is not, and won't be your traditional point guard. We have to live with it, I guess. Therefore for Stuckey you need very clever coaching - somebody very experienced...
  12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Oh for crying out loud.

Stuckey to Brandon Knight: "No, no, no. You need to keep your head down and drive. Let's try it again..."
  13. SonicD 43

SonicD 43 First Round Draft Pick

By Franks definition he has 2/5 the qualities of a traditional point. Its not like we have any other guys on our roster who are complete players.
  14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

okay i'll play along - name some SG options we could have gotten instead. you said SG is the easiest position to fill in the NBA...i don't think any position is easy to fill. i might agree if you think it's the least important position to fill, but quality SGs are not as common as most people believe.

and i still believe rodney would have gotten at least $7 million offered for 4+ years from another team if he was an unrestricted free agent.
  15. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Here's a harsh but IMO realistic article about Stuckey:
    http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2011/...plenty-of-time-at-shooting-guard-in?ref=yahoo

Some excerpts:

16. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I also won't agree with the sentiment that Stuckey's game improved steadily. There was a big jump in his numbers from his rookie season to his second rookie season, but that has more to do with Billups' departure than anything else. Other than that, his improvement has been limited to blips on relatively flat stat lines:

07-08: 19.0mpg/0.40 FG%/0.19 3p%/0.81 FT%/2.3rpg/2.8apg/1.37 TO/ 7.6ppg
    08-09: 31.9mpg/0.44 FG%/0.30 3p%/0.80 FT%/3.5rpg/4.9apg/2.19 TO/13.4ppg
    09-10: 34.2mpg/0.41 FG%/0.23 3p%/0.83 FT%/3.8rpg/4.8apg/2.23 TO/16.6ppg
    10-11: 31.2mpg/0.44 FG%/0.29 3p%/0.86 FT%/3.1rpg/5.2apg/2.21 TO/15.5ppg

His other sophisticated stats (win shares, PER etc) might have improved, but that's more because the team around him got progressively worse IMO. The reality is he is exactly the same player he was 3 years ago. Monroe has shown more improvement in the second half of the season last year than Stuckey did in 3 years.

If this guy is unwilling to learn, or put the effort in to learn, then he is a lazy complacent player and he won't ever get better.

If he is willing to learn and is working hard, then whatever he's doing, or whoever he has as a trainer, isn't working and he is too ignorant to realize that fact and therefore he won't ever get better.

Stuckey is not a bad player; there are far worse players in the NBA. But he has peaked IMO. This is his ceiling. Whether it is a natural or self-imposed limit is irrelevant.
    Nemo likes this.
  17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I will agree that the improvement has been marginal. Here are his stats per 36 min:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  18. BallDon'tLie

Stuckey's only shot at being a truly special player is at PG where he can use his size as an advantage.
    Previously, when he's played PG, he's been guarded by another PG. He played along side Rip who has good height for a SG. When Stuck played the Off-Guard, McGrady was running the point and Stuck benefited by being checked by the opposing PG.

With the current crop of Piston Guards, Rodney will almost always be checked by the oposition's big guard as Gordon, Bynum and B-K will be defended by the other team's PG.

No more days of having a size advantage for the Collider with Rip and Tracy out of the picture.
    Walter likes this.
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

We will see how it works out. Fact is, we don't know yet, and it's one of the reasons I will be tuning in this year.

I do seem to remember Rodney having some decent games alongside Chucky Atkins a couple years back though.
  20. BallDon'tLie

I'll go ahead and post this so lee doesn't have to bother with it:
    ANYONE looks good playing along side Chucky Atkins.
    ...there, done.