Stuckey re-signs for 3 years / $25m

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Rocastle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

At least we didn't lose Rodney to one of the other teams that showed interest in him.
    ...nevermind.

2. max

max All-Star

Do they have everyone fatored in yet? We should be around 62 mil or so. Plus still have to sign a couple of 3rd string bench guys to fill out the roster. That should put us at about the league median in team payroll.

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

You guys aren't going to believe this, but the Pistons would like to add a young big man to the team to fill out the roster, but now that Joe is done signing his band of misfits he has no money left to do so. That is shocking!!!

http://detroitnews.com/article/20111218/SPORTS0102/112180349/1127/More-Pistons-moves-likely

4. BallDon'tLie

5. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Nick Young has accepted the Wizards' one-year, $3.7 million qualifying offer, Michael Lee of the Washington Post reports.

Why couldn't JoeD do this with Stuckey??

6. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Joe fears for his job. He thinks a semi-content Stuckey can save his job...

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey at $8MM seems a lot better than Kwame at $7MM.

8. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

He's the best post defender in the league.

9. BallDon'tLie

On paper ...yes.

Seven footers (even lousy ones who can't catch a pass or secure a rebound) don't grow on trees.
    Average *Off-Guards are a dime-a-dozen.

Kwame would be our best big-man defender as soon as he signed (actually Ben still might be better but...)
    The league is full of SGs who have the ability to play the position as good or better than Rodney for the same or less money. I'm sorry but I just can't get my head around the fact that Joe has spent over $8 million a year on Rodney Stuckey.

I can't believe that I'm actually going to type this but I strongly believe that the 2012 Detroit Pistons, as currently constructed, would be better served by paying Kwame freaking Brown $7 mil per year than giving $8 mil per year to Rodney Stuckey.

*I'm refusing to refer to Stuckey as a "Shooting Guard" until he can add some range and improve his shot.

10. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Without Stuckey right now we'd have a backcourt of Bynum, Knight, and Gordon. With no player over 6'3". Possibly the smallest/worst defensive backcourt of all time. With Gordon's recent awful play, Bynum being Bynum, and a rookie... Fact is, we needed another decent guard. Stuckey was the best available who is of an age where he won't be 35 by the time we add a few more pieces (I would rather have Afflalo, but Denver would have matched).

Up front we've got Monroe, Jonas, Maxiell, Charlie V, and Big Ben. Which is not great by any means, but it's not missing depth, it's missing a big time talent/shotblocker next to Monroe. That's not Kwame Brown.

del and roscoe36 like this.
  11. BallDon'tLie

I have no problem with signing Stuckey.
    I have a problem with the amount that he was signed for when Joe decided to bid against himself.

12. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I'm with BDL here. Stuckey signing was fine, for <$5 mil a year. Not for over 8. And the thing is, we didn't HAVE to sign Stuckey. He was under contract. If we hadn't signed him, and he blows it up this year, would he have gotten more than $8 mil next year? Probably not, probably would have gotten about that.

13. Nemo

I'm going to disagree with this statement, based on Stuckey's inability to show us any reason for signing him....

14. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

Man you guys really, really, really don't like this guy. I'm not a slappy, and I thought his demeanor last year was horrible, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. When Devin Harris went to NJ, Lawrence Frank had him posting career highs. Stuckey's numbers, like it or not, have improved every year. He can't shoot 3-pointers and isn't a true PG but he is still capable of playing the PG position and has excellent size and is a good defender. Past his rookie year he's never had a real coach or someone who can teach him the game. We signed him to a movable contract at a fair price and would not have gotten anyone better for that money.

I think he's going to have a much better year than everyone expects and won't have attitude problems. I hope I'm not wrong.

del, Nemo, linwood and 1 other person like this.
  15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Pistons' Stuckey rushes to find rhythm

16. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The amount means basically nothing to anyone but Gores and Rodney considering we're locked into a couple of worse contracts until the deal is up. It's not like the Pistons are going to attract some great free agent talent that is better than Rodney even if we did have the money.

As for joe bidding against himself, that is assuming quite a bit. Rodney was a restricted free agent and Joe made it publicly known that he wanted to keep Rodney around. Teams generally do not like to have their money tied down waiting for an offer sheet to be matched. Not all "interest" is made public as well. Look at Afflalo. There has been very little talk about him. You think there aren't teams interested in him? Sure there are, but not all teams announce everything to the public.

Fact is, the deal is roughly on par with what players similar to Stuckry in age/ability are getting. Everyone is overpayed.

17. linwood

linwood All-Star

I think I'm still mad at the guy for taking Ben Wallace's number 3.

I hope you are right. So far, I think Stuckey is an OK guard, but not really great. Honestly, I would rather the Bulls sign Stuckey for $8.4 million per year, and the Pistons sign Hamilton for $5. There. I just opened up another can of worms.

18. Nemo

I do like your post. Thanks for noticing that some of us place little value in Stuckey. You have listed his skill set in a reasonable fashion. You also pin his future on hope..........and discuss the coaching situation as being detrimental.........thanks

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Is there a dislike button on this thing? :)

There does seem to be a school of thought here that thinks Stuckey has not gotten a fair shake in DET. I do not agree with that. To me he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth only he now uses the spoon to smoke crack rocks.

Devin Harris could play when he was in Dallas. Most people thought NJ got the best player in the deal at the time.

Stuckey averaged 15 points a game!

20. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I guess we'll find out what kind of player Pistons will have in Stuckey.