Stuckey re-signs for 3 years / $25m

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Rocastle, Dec 17, 2011.

1. max

max All-Star

main thing is that right now we are about 4 mil over the soft cap and about 10 under the hard cap. So we can't sign anyone other than with the mid-level and if the cap drops next season ( people still mad at NBA ) then we will have even less mobility.

Do you like the team we have? Because we can't do anything and even risk losing Monroe if the hard cap drops enough over the next 3 years.

2. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I don't like the team we have and it's not going to get any better for another two years at least.

But, that 3-year contract to Stuckey is really interesting. Right now, here's when the contracts of the currently signed players' will be up (omitting the guys on their way out like Big Ben, low draft picks Singler & Macklin, and the training camp fodder.)

Summer of 2012:
    Maxiell ($5m)

Summer of 2013:
    Daye (rookie contract)
    Bynum ($3.25m)

Summer of 2014:
    Gordon ($11.6m)
    CV ($7.5m)
    Stuckey ($8m)
    Monroe (rookie contract)

Summer of 2015:
    Prince ($7m)
    Jerebko ($4m)
    Knight (rookie contract)

I'm looking at this, and the plan seems to be returning to relevance around 2014. By that time, Maxiell and Bynum will be gone, and Gordon, Stuckey and CV will become valuable trade assets. It seems to me that the next two seasons we'll be bad-to-mediocre developing Knight, Daye & Monroe and determining which complimentary pieces will fit with them. I would be very happy if this is what we observe going forward:

2011-12 season: losing season with glimmers of hope, draft well, use money freed up by Maxiell to sign a serviceable big man to a 2 year contract.
    2012-13 season: play well, make the playoffs with a few good games. Use the money freed up from Bynum's departure to re-up Daye
    2013-14 season: play well, trade CV & Gordon's expiring mid-season for a top quality center or PF, do some damage in the playoffs, re-up Monroe
    2014-15 season: start contending for a title

3. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Oh man. And 4 of those guys have been part of championship teams as well. The implications could be huge depending on what happens with the salary cap in a few years, but I'm sure Joe will try his best to keep his key guys.

Side note:
    The media keeps referring to Stuck as a PG. I don't know why everyone on the Pistons seem intent on billing him as that. I wish they'd stop trying to fit that square peg into that round hole and just admit he's a 2 and play him as such; I bet both he and the team would be better for it. He's a scorer, he's always going to look for his own shot first - not a bad thing, unless you're name's not AI and playing point, but even he had Eric Snow to run the team. Speaking of: the team is bad the way it is right now; we're more likely to end up in the lottery than in the playoffs (though in the weak eastern conference, who knows) and I'd rather see what Knight (whose court vision seems to have been underrated) can do rather than see the same old 'vets play more just 'cause' bit that was so popular in the contending years. No excuses now; the team is going nowhere fast without radical changes. Moose and hopefully BK are good starts; build on that instead of hanging on to ideas that should be long dead.
    *Sorry for the rant. Needed to get that out of my system. Worrying about this was about to give me nightmares.

max likes this.
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

crazy, how can such a bad team be so exepensive??

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm pretty much off the Stuckey bandwagon but he'll get to the basket and we need that big time. The only problem I see is if he refuses to turn over PG duties to Knight down the line. If he can focus on scoring and making a good pass every once in a while instead of trying to run the offense he may turn the corner.

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Well, according to hoopshype.com we've got the 6th lowest payroll in the league, which is just about on-par with our win-loss position. Teams like the Celts/Lakers are nearly double our payroll.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I like your positive outlook and I wish we can live up to this plan. Shame that we have such a payroll challenge because we signed lowball players..........

This plan really needs Stuckey to be good...I mean Piston's Billups good............I just don't see that happenin.

8. Walter

I hope Frank has Stuckey coming off the bench and Knight starting.

9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It makes sense, although most organizations don't hand over the PG reins to a rookie.

10. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

YES, thank you.

11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Stuckey needs to start...but how good of a two guard is he going to be? I just don't see him making a difference on the floor, not worth 8-9 a year. 8-9 a year under the new agreement is as much as BG's under the old...and BG carried a team to 7 games against the Celtics, and won 6th Man of the Year.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It worked out well for the Wizards last year. He had 72 assists in his first 7 games and averaged almost 20 ppg.

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Lakers tried it in 1980 and look where that got them...

14. Nemo

yea...but there was some magic involved that time..............

15. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

It's kind of funny how that Stuckey twitter account that everyone swore was his has been taken down from twitter. Sort of confirms my thoughts all along that it was a fake.

16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Or that he got it taken down because it was so embarrassing.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If the Pistons did this, how many years in a row would it be that we were rooting for the Pistons to lose so they could secure a dominant big man? We're already a few years in.......

I think one of the problems with the Pistons contracts is that they're too low. Let's say the hypothetical top quality C or PF were available in 2014 (only 3 more years of this!). They'd have to trade 1/2 their team to acquire him and there will be no one left to play with him when he finally got here..

18. Walter

You package any combination of Stuckey, Gordon and CV and you have $16-20M. That's max player range, especially in the era of the new CBA. And I doubt that the team would miss a beat if we dumped any combination of those guys. Nobody's gonna give up a good big (say Marc Gasol) for a package of Gordon and CV, so it would probably need to be multi-team trade including draft picks, but the salary dump is there to land a big name guy.

19. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Shame on Rocastle for not assigning the correct title to this thread. It should have read:
    "LOL... Stuckey re-signs for 3 years / $25m"

...Seriously though, it's not really that good of a sign when the concensous comment from those trying to gleen some positivity from this Stuckey's deal is: "At least it's only for 3 years."

Rocastle likes this.
  20. Nemo

Yea..........his bandwagon should be a "Flexible Flyer"

He's destined to go downhill from here.........