Stuckey balks at $40-45 million 5-year contract offer

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by mikhail1973, Dec 14, 2011.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Plus, we'd have a seasoned PG like Stuckey on the roster to mentor Brandon Knight.
    ...no matter how you look at it, signing Rod Stuckey doesn't sound all that appealing to me.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey should have dived across the table and wrestled the pen away from Joe to sign the deal if that is what he was offered.
    detteam likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Knight does look like he needs help expressing his emotions. Playing under Stuckey's wings, he may even be able to start hugging people by the end of the season.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

The Pistons need to lock Stuck up quick so he can teach B-K how to dribble with his head down.
    detteam likes this.
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    "experts" way in - looks like most think that it is more than a fair offer to Stuck and that he'd be hard pressed to get more from anyone else.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....-offer/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  6. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Learning how to collide doesn't happen overnight either. Knight could learn a lot from Rod.
  7. max

max All-Star

Thank god he balked at it. We need him to say no. I cannot believe JD offered him that, that's more than Prince got. Maybe they need to bring that Checketts guy back to watch over him.
  8. BillLaimbeer

It is amazing how many of the forum members have the exact same opinion on this matter.
  9. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

This is sad but I feel relieved they're at an impasse. I think Joe showed how high he was going to go.
  10. max

max All-Star

Then they overpaid then and no need to make the same mistake. Agents are good at looking around for the highest contract and arguing it as an example.

Thing is, the player BRI has shrank by about 12% and the cap may be even lower than that next season depending on how many fans stick to their pledge of never watching the NBA again. So in last years dollars 45 mil would really be more like 50 mil.
  11. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This offer is outrageous. I can't believe Stuckey said no! Where does he think he will make more money, and the statement above by an "Expert" comparing Stuckey to Conley is great...I'd take Conley over Stuckey, any day of the week, I hate to say it.
    max likes this.
  12. Ernie the Slow Adult

If this offer is true and there isn't something weird where the last year is a team option for $39 million per year then I think the Pistons should look at firing Dumars.

It won't stop here. Daye, who apparently lost weight in Russia, will be next.

http://detroitnews.com/article/2011...Tom-Gores-puts-money-where-Pistons-mouths-are
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Conley is a better player than Stuckey only if you're one of those nuts who values shooting, passing, smarts and ball handling over some of the more nuanced aspects of the game.
    BillLaimbeer likes this.
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This came up on NBA game time tonight and the all of the commentators (Rich Kamla, David Aldridge, Greg Anthony and Mike Fratello) all laugh at the notion that Stuckey and his agent turned it down the Piston offer. The fact that the Pistons had a losing record the last three years and we only saw marginal improvement in Stuckey and he still got that big of an offer means that Joe still sees more in Stuckey than the rest of do. Not sure if any other team will offer more than that.
  15. Ernie the Slow Adult

You know you're in for a strong year when all the commentators start laughing at the mention of one of your moves.
  16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Knight, Bynum, Gordon... all of a sudden, we're short on guards!

Hamilton bought out, Terrico White waived, McGrady gone, Summers gone. If Stuckey goes elsewhere too, that means that we went from 6 guards to 3 year over year.

As long as we sign Stuckey to a contract that is later able to be traded if things aren't working out, then it's not the worst thing in the world. Since he's young, athletic, and can score, there will always be another team that will think he's their missing ingredient. You gotta figure that we're going to have at least 1 injury and maybe 2 in our guards at different points throughout the year, so if it's not going to be Stuck, then we'll need to pluck another real guard out of FA. As much as I like Bynum, he's not your everyday starting PG. Knight is a rookie and skinny. It makes sense to have weird combo guard on the team, especially if Knight is going to grow into the starting PG role.

I don't hate the concept.

If our bench unit is Bynum/ Gordon/ Daye/ Villanueva/ Maxiell, we could be sporting the worse defensive 5-man combo in the league.
  17. Ernie the Slow Adult

You're forgetting they got 'Nique Wilkens in camp.
  18. linwood

linwood All-Star

And I still wouldn't want to pay Conley 9 million dollars a year for five years.
  19. BillLaimbeer

I think Damien Wilkins could play some SG if needed. Plus, he's money from half-court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk6Pq3EMchY
  20. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

I hate that JD even offered him that much. He's not a PG because he can't run an offense effectively, and he's a no good 2 because he can't shoot. I knew there was a reason I hated that pick.
    max likes this.