Steph Curry or Monta Ellis?

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Mark V, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

What do you guys think about adding Steph Curry to our line up? I know it's a stretch since he'll be a restricted FA but I think he's the perfect fit for the Pistons. He can play either PG or SG effectively and he would help us fix our scoring woes immediately. Plus, the Warriors may let him go for cheap due to concerns about his ankles.

Also, what about Monta Ellis? He can fill that scoring void as well, if not better than Curry.

In either case, would you rather see us go after a scorer in 2013, if so who?, or just let the likes of Middleton and Kim English develop?

2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If and when the Pistons are ready to make the next step, they will need to add a proven player like Curry or Ellis. Curry will be 25 next fall. Ellis will be 28. Age is certainly a factor if you are going to offer a guy a long-term deal. They put up similar numbers (18-20 ppg and 5-6 apg).
  3. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Welcome to the forum Mark V!

I think Ken English will make the world forget who those scrubs are.
    BallDon'tLie likes this.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If I had to pick, I'd pick Curry.
    Ellis is a chucker. Curry can drop some dimes while putting up points. He's more well rounded.
    ...dude has glass ankles though.

Hopefully, Brevin Knight willl be as good/better than both of those guys.
  5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

There is a deluge of hope going on. Ellis is three times the player of Curry and twice that of Knight.
    Until JD learns not to be afraid of troubled talent (unless it is nearly 7 feet tall like Sheed) the club will stay marginalized.
    roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Ellis falling while roller skating riding a moped isn't a big deal. The lie that he told bothers me more.
    The team suspended him for this incident so justice was served. I'd take him over Curry quickly.
    As a second rounder.......Ellis has IMHO outplayed the first rounder Curry.
  7. pass99

Not a soul believed his first explanation. Typical youthful rationalization that involves money and one we all have faced.

I would say that the most dangerous components of enlightened rage are those involving:
    • slipping as one advances out-of-the-shower
    • cleaning the spring-time delay of window surfaces and breaking that weak glass
    • hurting one's back picking up the winter shovel (not the actual act of cleaning the walk)...well, maybe
    • using that basketball sense of immediate reaction of dodging the wife's frying pan heading toward your head
    • and those hurtful dreams...just waking up with a nasty ankle and perhaps...even two of them
  8. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Your enlightenment takes me back to a simplier time..........many, many years ago. Thanks.
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Awesome.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

If I was given the ultimatum, I would probably have to kill myself. I dislike both of them as basketball players to be honest. They are both poor defenders, one is injury prone, and the other is Kobe-prone.

If I was not allowed to kill myself, I would take Curry. And this is for a couple of reasons
    1 - He is a far more efficient player than Ellis. They both have the ability to pile on points, and Ellis is a better athlete, but he works himself into too many bad situations on offense. We don't need isocentric players, we already have one and that is more than enough. Curry is a superior FT shooter, has a better TS% and is getting better. Ellis is already in his prime, and to be quite frank, his prime is pretty average.
    2 - He actually tries on defense. Yes he fouls too much, and yes his lack of athleticism allows him to be beaten off the dribble. But correct spacing and rotations can cover these weaknesses easily. Ellis doesn't try, and is a total liability.

I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm either, but Middleton simply is never going to be a 17/5 guy. English has a lot of potential, but I can't see him getting to that stage either.

I think the argument about getting a scorer has come up before, but let me just surmise my thoughts as concisely as possible. If you are going to trade for, or offer an FA a contract who is a scorer remember that points are well over rated when it comes to signing the deal. There are two separate but intertwined comparative mechanisms which need to be engaged. The first is the financial cost with regard to salary cap of acquiring an offensive player and the second is weighing up the impact on team chemistry, not just in the sense that having a shoot first player can be detrimental, but also that the vast majority of 'scorers' in the league are glorified chuckers who can't or won't play defense.
    Walter likes this.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think Monta Ellis could play D if needed if you could get him in situations where he could guard 1's. He played some D when he first started getting time with Golden State early on.
  12. Mark V

Mark V Bench Warmer

Great points, I do believe that team chemistry is important to the team. Just putting together superstars will not cut it, specially now that superstars are apparently teaming up. However, I think we need at least one player who can create his own shot. I was hoping for Melo (NY Knicks) but I don't know how we can swing a trade for him and I don't know if he'll fit in with our players either.

If I had a choice though, Curry's my dude. He's young, a willing distributor and he can flat out shoot. Also, I think his defense is a little under rated... he's not great by any means but he can defend pretty well (he averaged 1.5 steals per game last season). Nevertheless, I don't think Curry alone will bring us a ring so I'm kinda iffy about it. On the other hand, if Melo developed chemistry with our players we'd be instant contenders.
  13. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

why would anyone in this forum even consider Curry? He may be a good player, but his ankles won't get better (everyone who has had ankle issues knows how persistent these are) and one may reasonably expect a rather soon career ending OR a a severely hampered player for years to come. Ankle issues don't go away just like that.
  14. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

:tape2:
  15. pass99

Indeed he can and did with Golden State.
    This kid is so slick with moves, that he would make Monroe weep.
    And Stuckey would gasp and say, "I didn't know one could do that. Guess I might have to trade-in my helmet."
    Nemo likes this.
  16. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

I don't want to go out there and add another combo guard.

We Need Josh Smith or Andre Iguodala. We need defense in the SF position.

Too bad really that Iguodala might end up signing an extension with Denver.. I really like the way he plays defense.