Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Not sure that he's the best, but he's the most deserving of minutes based on:
    1. how hard he plays
    2. attitude
    3. his upside (need for minutes to develop as a young dude)
  2. CarlosGallan

CarlosGallan First Round Draft Pick

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Let me make myself a bit more clear on these points.

One, Villanueva is a pretty horrid defender indeed. However, he does have one thing going for him - a bit of size and a whole lot of length. He moves horribly on defense, but if you just tell him to stay home at the basket he can stop people from waltzing in for easy layups. Meanwhile, you have everyone else do the rotating. Its not that Monroe would not be a better defender than CV at the basket, its just that hopefully, he can do a better job than CV on the rotation part. Basically, I am saying get some use out of CV on defense, based on what he can do - rather than just not play him. Heck, we would not have won in 2004 without Corliss Williamson being part of the equation. He could defend very little - an absolute zero as far as defensive rotation - so we hid him at the basket and let everyone else rotate - and got the benefit in some key games of having a bull out there that nobody could stop at our offensive end. CV can, when healthy, play some pretty darn good O. That starting unit I just floated out there for an idea was based on one thing - offense. (using the old theory that if you got one bad defender - might as well have 5 bad defenders - the other team can only target one player at a time. With a bit of teamwork, people helping out as best they can, this unit may be able to do the defensive well enough while wearing out the other team on the offensive end - including fouling people out 0 which in itself is a good defensive strategy.)(and PS- Corliss did have strength to contribute in the post - CV does not have that strength but he compensates somewhat with a lot of length.)

Proven players? I don't get that really. I don't believe it matters though. What matters is having the right player out there at the right time. It does not matter if Bynum is or is not better than White. What matters is how can we get wins. Some games, an athletic, tall point guard who the other team has trouble defending, or a point guard with length that the opposing point guard can't simply just shoot over, could win us a game. I'd rather keep Bynum and White involved - and watch them have a good competition between them for who gets the minutes in the playoffs - if we are so fortunate. (And yes, I would even keep an open mind on either of them taking Stuckey's job.)

JJ simply got more opportunity than Summers did. Despite all the nice things people write about JJ - remember, we lost most of the games last season. Some of that was JJ being undersized at power forward - and some of it was him being too slow at small forward. He is not ideal at either position. We had some good comeback attempts early on when Summers did get a chance to play - but that never translated into him getting a solid shot at playing time. Remember, Daye also got less time than JJ last season -are you so sure JJ is better than Daye in regards to possible backup small forward minutes?

And I see someone put in a word about Ben Wallace. Hey, I love the guy. But, he never, ever should have been playing the kind of minutes we have played him over the years. That just goes double as he is aging. Ben Wallace can be a tremendous asset if used sparingly - or we can lose a ton of games with him being overplayed -tired and injured.
  4. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Hmmm. In order of collective performance:
    1. Rip
    2. Stuckey
    3. Tay
    The above have no leadership qualities and are very sensitive to current mental states.

The newly weds (BenG, Bynum, JMax and CV) think they still look good in red/ blue. The bridesmaids (JJ, Daye and GM) wish it was them.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Not based on last year's performance....
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The absurdly mundane:

Forget developing youth. Forget keeping minutes down and players fresh for the playoffs.

Forget reality.

Here is what you get:

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, CV, Ben Wallace start, and basically play 38 minutes each on average right out of the gate.

This leaves 50 minutes of floor time for the remaining 8 to 10 players.

If our top draft pick does not play, nobody will hear the end of it, so lets say he gets 10 of those minutes.

10 for Daye, 10 for JJ. None for Summers. None for White.

15 for Bynum.

5 for JMAX.

None for Wilcox. Kwame is gone. Atkins is gone. A couple of players will be added for depth, but will not play.

What will we get: A few wins out of the gate. By midseason, the team will be riddled with nagging injuries, but yet the starters will be playing thru those injuries and losing all the games. 2nd half of the season, some starters finally sit, replaced by guys who hardly played to that point, and we just continue to lose.

Another perhaps 30 win season.
  7. BillLaimbeer

I knew you would finally come around, Lee.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This season's starting 5

White at point, Gordon at shooting guard, Daye at small forward, Monroe at PF, JMAX at center.

Bench: Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Summers, Ben Wallace.

Bynum, CV, and JJ all get some minutes too.

50 win season. Playoff bound.
  9. BillLaimbeer

Why do you think White would be a good starting point guard?
  10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Because he is not the starting point guard! :pound:
  11. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:pound::pound::pound::pound:
  12. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Only 50 wins?
  13. BillLaimbeer

Rascoe, Rascoe, Rascoe....what are we going to do with you?

:hoops:
  14. pass99

This was part anomaly and part sloppiness on JD's part.

The anomaly was the injury bug, with a tinge of attitude problems, which follows (yep, you guessed it) the sloppy part.

There has been a bad attitude problem since BenW left and acerbated when JD and CB had some differences. The substituted walk on from the CB episode was the eventual skinning of a first class basketball talent. The circus of coaching levels spin a new vortex downward and more introductions of boundary talent (CV and BenG) into a depression style that had high administration leadership snipping at each other's ankles in hopes of completion resulting in the masterful transgression that the other fellow would be the first out of the window. The loss of ownership (through proxy power leverage) lessened everyone's circle of reinforcement whose familial ownership level is buried with those six feet under.

An honest question is what's left?

Exactly what you see in talent somewhat lesser in what came before.

Another question...is it enough?

The first half of the season will be no anomaly.

The second half might very well be what I call the backing-into entrance level. Remember how your winter entrance through the doorway fogged up your glasses. The easy solution is too back-in through the doorway...problem solved. However, if this is done on a consistent basis (and pleasurably understood by your knowledge base) your neighbors might begin to wonder.
  15. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

When did Dumars and Chauncey have some differences?
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I'm just kidding around with my buddy Lee. I am so happy to see him posting about basketball again.
  17. BillLaimbeer

In which thread is he posting about basketball? :pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:
  18. pass99

Golf tournament and it wasn't entirely hushed up. The rest I put down as here-say and rumor.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Not trying to start a fight here. Just an observation. People know me for various things, like wanting to see the rookies get a chance to show what they can do. In contrast, I know you for just one thing Bill, insulting me. Nothing more. I could not for the life of me come up with an opinion of yours. If that is what you like to be known for, well, I guess you are happy.

I hope you are happy by the way, sincerely, I wish you the best.
  20. BillLaimbeer

Lee, sometimes I joke around, but I never attack anyone personally. At times, I disagree with your assessments and viewpoints on basketball, but that's where it ends.

The fact that you are a diehard Pistons fan makes you okay in my book. I love playing basketball, coaching basketball, and watching Pistons basketball. This web site brings together all kinds of different people, but we all share a love of the Pistons. As we "hang out" here and become friends, we learn about other things we have in common (tennis, running, etc.).

Anyway, sorry to rub you the wrong way with my "humor".

I have lots of opinions, by the way. What do you want to know? :)