Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Bynum was hurt, played anyway. And reinjured the hammy.
  2. max

max All-Star

Our front court has been so bad what is there to lose by playing Summers and Monroe more.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Chucky Bynum has a nice ring to it. He'd be starting if that were his name.
  4. Brap

Brap Starter

The thing about our front court guys is that the guys we are playing who can leap, Ben and Maxiell, are both very short; and the other longer guys are either not leapers, (Daye and Tay and CV), and/or they are not strong (Daye and Tay) --

We miss JJ so much it isn't even funny.

I agree with the play Monroe and play Summers arguments, although I don't mind not playing Monroe for now until he gets past this being overwhelmed rookie thing he's got going on at the moment. And with Summers, at least he's got the athleticism and the big time power forward strength that the other guys are clearly missing.

Did I mention how much we miss JJ? Yeah, ... a lot.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Yes, agree. If you want other teams/ games around the league, you'll notice that we are extremely unathletic and weak. We are too short, too skinny, or too slow.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start: TMAC, Daye, Prince, Monroe, JMAX

2nd unit: Gordon, Stuckey, Summers, CV, Ben Wallace

11th and 12th guys dressed: Rip and Bynum
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I liked your starting lineup in the other thread:

Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, CV, Ben
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Does he mean that we'll be a dangerous team? Or maybe he means we'll be hard to beat?

But a dangerous team to beat? That makes it sounds like it's not so hard to beat us, but that you might not survive the night afterward due to some sort of off the court retribution.
  9. BillLaimbeer

It is a thing of beauty....hence it became my signature....
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This is pretty much the 2nd unit in this latest rendition of as the rotations turn.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

T-Mac starting to look more and more comfortable by the 10th game. 10 More games and I think he'll be ready for a bigger role on the team. His feel for the game has been there, his jumper is coming back as is his defense, all that's left is stamina and his drives to the hoop. Time to start factoring him in as a bigger part of the rotation.
  12. Brap

Brap Starter

He's a hell of a talent.

Hey NBA championship caliber teams - wanna win the championship this season? We've got two nice expiring contracts for you. Tay and the big prize, McGrady. Let the bidding begin.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start: Stuckey, TMAC, Daye, Monroe, Ben Wallace

Stuckey sits the last 5 minutes of the 1st and 3rd quarters, replaced by Rip, and Tay comes in for Daye at the same time, giving:

TMAC, Rip, Tay, Monroe, Ben Wallace.

To start the 2nd quarter:

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, CV, JMAX

Last half of 2nd quarter: TMAC, Gordon, Daye, CV, Ben Wallace

To keep TMAC's minutes down for now, Rip plays some of the minutes for TMAC if TMAC is playing shooting guard. Rip starts some games for TMAC. In those games, TMAC only is used as the backup point.

Why this rotation is better than what is being used lately: We always have a center in the game, either Ben Wallace or JMAX. Daye never plays out of position at power forward. Monroe never plays out of position at center.

Bynum is eliminated from the rotation, so we don't have to cover for his lack of defense.

Oh, and aside from Bynum, everyone we want to play plays in each and every game. Which gives us more versatility within each game as far as matchups.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Greg Monroe is a Center, he can't cover very far from the basket on defense, and as of right now he has no range on his shot.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Too light and weak for a center. By the way, for the first time this season, we saw Monroe at power forward in the Dallas game. Looked good. As for defensive range away from the basket, Monroe is fine, better than JMAX, Ben Wallace, or CV, our other choices. He is a very active defender.
  16. pass99

pass99 Team Captain Forum Donor

I think a couple of things have to happen.

For pure experience level, he needs to get comfortable around the basket, which means playing time to experience comfort levels in learning a higher level of game. We have no center and Ben is growing weaker by the game. Therefore he substitutes for that active void.

Now an objective question can be asked: is this his natural position? Depends on how he develops around the area of distance from the basket. He is not a leaper, but he has outstanding positioning. You really can't teach that. So how should he be used? As mentioned above, he needs just some playing time to feel comfortable.

Yet, you can see a yearning coming out of him. He likes to move around basket to free up a potential jump shot, but he doesn't know quite how to approach it. We are talking distance from 6-10 ft. Instead he is left with bunny-shots that he bricks. This is typical rookie hand feel that lacks tactile softness. I would have him practice with golf gloves in order for him to relate this missing tactile component. The gloves will even out pressure points and lessen wrist forcefulness.

Still we ask: where is his best position? Personality wise, he does not have the brutal center disposition. He has height and weight for the latter, but again, his personality seems more oriented toward finesse. Athleticism is marginal, but as mentioned before, he has a natural nose-for-the-ball. I will always take that over Leaping Larry. Remember, the nose always is sensitive to the putrid (defense), as well as sweet aroma (offense).

So what's left?

He's a lefty and that is good. Unknown is the forthcoming style in developing that mini-midrange. This of course, means what he makes of actual work ethic (meaning internal aggression in developing hip twist, post moves left and right with either hand, and Cowen type moves). It also means some perceptive coaching on how to help him develop in conjunction with the current style the team plays.

He should be a much different player come Spring.
  17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

After 17 games this is the lineup I think should be starting:
    Stuckey (only because he's better than Bynum)
    Rip (only because he won't come off the bench-big baby)
    Tay (only because I'm grounded in the reality that this coach won't dream of putting Tayshuan Prince on the bench)
    Ben Wallace (sadly our best rebounder)
    Greg Monroe.

Lee is ABSOLUTELY right (did I just say that???) GM and Ben Wallce need to be paired up and CV and Max need to be paired up. You sub out GM and send in CV, now you have Ben/CV paired up (Charlie needs defensive backup). Next Sub in Max for Ben and you have a pairing of Max/CV, one good scorer and one good defender (2 bad rebounders) but only for about 3 to four minutes an dif they're out there with McGrady, Daye, Tay, Rip or Stuckey the perimeter players can help out on the glass.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

The rebounding thing is why I propose that JMAX and Monroe get paired up, and then have CV and Ben Wallace be paired up. However, really, I would would actually rather see Summers play instead of CV. I know CV looks better this year - but on D, he is really hurting us.
  19. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

A rotation, starting both Monroe and Ben Wallace, and then always keeping one of them in from there. Also, TMAC and Stuckey start, and always one of them stays on the floor. Goal, to increase team rebounding, and ball handling skills.

Start:

Stuckey, TMAC, Tay, Monroe, Ben Wallace

6 minute mark of 1st quarter: JMAX comes in for Ben Wallace, and Daye comes in for TMAC.

That's:

Stuckey, Daye, Tay, Monroe, JMAX

Start 2nd quarter:

TMAC, Gordon, Rip, CV, Ben Wallace

6 minute mark of 2nd quarter:

Stuckey, (Gordon or Rip, depending on hot hand / defensive match-up), Daye, Monroe, JMAX

2nd half, repeat, except who finishes the game can vary. But often, this unit might finish:

Stuckey, TMAC, Tay, Monroe, JMAX

For minutes, thats around:

Stuckey 36 (all at point)

TMAC 28 (12 at point, rest at shooting guard)

Rip 17 (Mostly playing point guard defense)

Gordon 17 (all at shooting guard)

Daye 18 (all at small forward)

Tay 28 (all at small forward)

Monroe 34 (all at power forward)

JMAX 24 (all at center)

Ben Wallace 24 (all at center)

CV 12 minutes

This is a 10 man rotation. No Bynum. It also leaves out Wilcox and Summers.

White, I guess will be coming back sometime this month of December (just best guess, have heard no updates.)

JJ, as far as I know, will not play this season. Of course he is trying his best to disprove that.
  20. BillLaimbeer

F Jonas Jerebko(notes) (partial Achilles’ tear, right leg) underwent surgery on Oct. 8 after crashing to the floor while driving to the basket during the opening preseason game. The initial prognosis is that Jerebko will miss 5-6 months but there’s hope he can return around the All-Star break.

G Terrico White(notes) (fractured fifth metatarsal, right foot) was injured during the Pistons’ preseason opener and also underwent surgery Oct. 8. He is expected to be out until January at the earliest.

Pistons Team Report - NBA - Yahoo! Sports