Starting 5 for 2010-11

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by chillfan23, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Brap

Brap Starter

It'll be nice to start talking about actual NBA stuff when the camp starts up again.

JJ is miles ahead of Maxiell and Summers in the team's pecking order to start the season. He's likely ahead of Monroe as well. It's Big Ben who stands to have minutes shaved this season, because of his age. I can see CV challenging JJ's starting status - but that's really up to how CV performs.

The thing about this team is that I've never seen the Pistons come into the season with a more convoluted or deeper group. It's really hard to predict how any player on our roster will fit and who will get PT because we have no idea who is going to emerge as the best team players and best guys to play meaningful minutes given the very unpredictable nature of sorting out the team's chemistry. We have a big time boondoggle and it's going to stay confused for quite awhile this season and next, IMO.

Best predictions right now barring trades:

Category A) Stuckey, Tay, Rip, Gordon will always get a lot of minutes.

Category B) McGrady and Wallace. If he's healthy enough, forgetabout it. He'll get priority time ahead of anyone else on our roster. Ben Wallace - if he's healthy he'll always get significant PT. But he'll play fewer minutes this season both to keep him fresh and because of team's depth IF Monroe or Maxiell can provide competant play at C.

Category C) Bynum, JJ - backup PG and last year's best Piston rookie - and CV. Bynum might have games (a lot of games) where he's playing so well that we just can't take him out of lineup. However, this year's team has a lot of go-to scorers who might make Bynum less important, plus Stuckey plays much superior D. JJ just plays too well and with too high an energy level to not get time every game. No chance he's not in rotation every game. But he might play fewer minutes than I'd normally guess because of team's depth. CV just on talent could be one of best PF's in league. If Ben Wallace plays, CV's offense becomes more important.

Category D) Super sleepers: Daye, Monroe, Summers. Especially Daye and Monroe. These are big time talents - we shouldn't keep them out of rotation. We shouldn't fail to develop them on the court this season. We shouldn't blow the chance to develop these guys. But the team is so deep that we might screw this up, especially with Daye. Monroe will play - that's obvious - when he's ready, so I'm not worried about screwing him up. Summers has the talent to make it really interesting at PF.

Category E) Maxiell. Nice guy to have deeep on your roster. Wilcox. I'll be ticked off if he plays much.

Category F) White. Super talent who will only see practice PT this season. I've no earthly idea how anyone can predict he'll get any shot over the next couple seasons.

Category G) Trade. some team is going to want Rip. some team is going to want Tay. some team might really want McGrady. This makes us so unpredictable that it's ridiculous.

2. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Sure he might be athletic but isn't it a stretch to call second rounders like White super talent?

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Players categorized by importance to team wins right now, as the roster stands at present:

1)JMAX and Ben Wallace. Without experienced NBA centers aboard - you simply will have no defense.

1A) Stuckey. Experienced point guard, now with over 6000 NBA minutes. Pick on him for this and that if you want, but he is the only guy we got right now with considerable NBA experience at point. (Not counting TMAC, due to him coming off knee surgery I can't see him running our point at the moment.)

1C) Monroe. Inexperienced, but still a center.

2) Rip, Gordon, CV, Tay, TMAC. Our scorers.

3) Bynum, White. Cause they can play backup point.

4) JJ, Summers, Daye. Absolutely it will help us in the long run if these guys play, since they will at least gain trade value even if we can't use them. And they could end up being valuable replacements for the guys aging ahead of them. However, in terms of immediate wins, they don't have to play.

5) Wilcox. Right now, just don't know if he can get healthy and ever play.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Starters:
    PG - Stuckey
    SG - Hamilton
    SF - Prince
    PF - Jerebko
    C - Wallace

2nd Unit:
    PG - Bynum
    SG - Gordon
    SF - McGrady
    PF - Villenueva
    C - Monroe

Also off the bench:
    Daye
    Diogu

In street clothes:
    Summers
    Maxiel
    White

Waived:
    Wilcox

5. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Almost there for me. I project that CV will start in place of JJ. You will need scoring power in the first quarter or forever struggle. If CV is on, he will get you there and then BenG will round it out. JJ will need to open it up for BenG, which he can do with his hustle around the basket.

6. BillLaimbeer

I'm rooting for CV this season. I think people dumped on him excessively last season. His defense was supposed to be his weakness even if he was healthy. Let's see what this guy can do when he is 100% and has a summer of Arnie under his belt....Same with Gordon....And TMac....Arnie is going to be busy again this year.

7. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It was the peer pressure. When a few people start dumping, sooner or later everyone is dumping.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I like keeping Gordon and CV together. Both weak defenders - but you can't exploit but one player's defense at a time. Meanwhile, at their best, they can be quite the scoring duo. Indeed Bill's 2nd unit - adding in TMAC, Bynum, and Monroe to the mix of scorers makes me wonder greatly if the 2nd unit listed could not whoop on the starters.

Here is another way to go:

White at point, Daye at shooting guard, JMAX at small forward, Summers at power forward, Monroe at center.

Bench: Stuckey, Rip, Tay, Diogu, Ben Wallace.

Left out of this mix: Bynum, Wilcox, JJ, Gordon, CV, and TMAC

9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It sounds like you are having very teal thoughts.

10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think you got to keep CG on the bench at least until he can prove some sort of consistency (aside from continually sucking). If his shot is falling you might get some more things from him and if it isn't you sit him. You can get away with playing a bad defender, but he is an abomination.

He will have some sort of injury by October 6th.

11. tads

tads First Round Draft Pick

From the Pistons.com piece So Far, So Good, on the first day of training camp.

Based on what color practice jersey players were wearing when reporters were allowed in to see what was left of practice – a few shooting drills – it appears the Pistons lined up in these five-man units:

Rodney Stuckey, Rip Hamilton, Ben Wallace, Jonas Jerebko and Tayshaun Prince on the white team;

Tracy McGrady, Charlie Villanueva, Jason Maxiell, Will Bynum and presumably Ben Gordon on the blue team – Gordon had peeled off his practice jersey and was wearing only a gray T-shirt;

and Terrico White, Austin Daye, Greg Monroe, Chris Wilcox and DaJuan Summers on the red team.

Ike Diogu had on a white jersey, perhaps indicating he’ll be splitting time with Ben Wallace to allow Kuester to give Wallace, 36, a reduced workload in camp while also getting a good look at Diogu.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Start Stuckey, White, Daye, Summers, Monroe

Bench: Gordon, Rip, Tay, JMAX, Ben Wallace

White is the 3rd point guard.

Play TMAC / CV as needed to boost the offense. CV is also the fifth big for depth.

Waived: Wilcox.

Street clothes: Diogu, JJ, Bynum

On nights when it seems Daye is just too darn skinny to guard their small forward, have JJ play in his place.

If Gordon can't handle playing point - and if having Tay along side him does not help enough, then Gordon loses his minutes to Bynum - or maybe Rip does.

Ben Wallace does not need to play every night. Have Diogu play some nights instead.

You can still have 15 guys involved during the season, and not get too crazy on the rotations.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Well, looks like we know what rotations will be.

14. Ernie the Slow Adult

It sounds like Gordon is unhappy with his role on the team. Why is everyone else wearing a jersey while he is off by himself in a t-shirt? It's like he couldn't wait to get the thing off.

This situation certainly bears watching.

15. BillLaimbeer

A clueless coach wouldn't allow such a team mutiny.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

I've heard that Kuester went shirtless for the entire practice!!! Where'd they find this bum?

17. BillLaimbeer

I found this picture of the team after practice. I don't recognize a couple of the non-roster invites.

[​IMG]

18. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Shouldn't have posted this...The Detroit Lions are looking for some....:pound:

19. Susie914

Susie914 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Whoa.....somebody there needs to go on the biggest LOOOOSER!!

20. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I am guessing Wilcox will be let go. Hopefully, this will leave us 15 healthy players to work with. Still don't like what I am hearing from camp from Kuester. Still no indication positions will be fought for on the NBA floor, where it really matters. No, I don't trust him and his staff's take on things from just camp. Championship teams don't get built in practice. NBA experience is a big key to getting a player developed to see what he really has.

With this in mind, I would like to see these four players be involved the first part of the season - to get a feel quickly about who can contribute what:

Summers, White, Monroe, and Daye.

At the same time, we have seven players who either played little last season, or played injured - and therefore not at full speed much of the season. Villanueva, Tay, Rip, Bynum, TMAC, Diogu and Gordon. Not to mention we have an older player, in Ben Wallace, who really should not try to push it for a whole season regardless of how gung ho he is about giving it his all from game one. Both Ben Wallace, and all the guys who did not make it thru the bulk of last season healthy simply should be approaching things with caution. Let the body get use to the NBA grind again.

Therefore, there is plenty of time to play the guys who have not had a great amount of floor time yet. Both to give them experience that will help them along in their careers wherever they may end up, and to give our staff a real chance to see who can do what.

So here is a rotation, based chiefly on getting these youngsters I mentioned some experience, and secondarily on giving some vets more time to heal up all the way:

Start Stuckey, White, Summers, Monroe, JMAX

2nd unit: Bynum, Rip, Daye, CV, Ben Wallace

Gordon waits till the ankle is really fully healthy before competing.

JJ just sits out a while, as he has had much of one season to show what he has. I am only talking the first month or so. It will still be a long season after that point for JJ to get plenty of time on the floor.

Ben Wallace is in the rotation - but not as a starter- not for now.

Tay is simply getting his season shortened up some, increasing the chance he will be around to help in the playoffs.

Ditto for TMAC

Diogu just takes his time for now, again, shortening up the season his first year back playing on that knee.

Toward the end of December, the vets start slowly getting more playing time, all based on who can contribute what, all in a fair situation - no bias. Who loses minutes game to game to the returning vets, it will all be about what we need to win in the playoffs, and who can contribute what toward that.