1. Summer League Starts SATURDAY July 1 More info HERE.

Dismiss Notice
  2. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

Stan Van Gundy wins coaching award

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by BillLaimbeer, May 26, 2017.

1. The Panda

The Panda Garbage Post All Star Forum Donor

Boban maybe, Leuer definitely not.

roscoe36 likes this.
  2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sorry, but that was the worst analysis I've read in a while. Boban, Leuer and Josh Smith were signed this off season? What Avery Bradley might make in the future? If Bradley gets a bloated contract next year it will be because he was very productive for us this year. Give me a break.

The Panda and roscoe36 like this.
  3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It says they'll make X amount of $$ this season, not that they were signed this offseason.

I thought the worst analysis was when they said Van Gundy was a good coach. He isn't, but I guess it looks that way when you compare him to his front office skills.

Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What they are making this season is not relevant to grading this offseason's front office performance.

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

It's like Washington DC. You don't support a program if you don't fund it with more and more money.

Creating efficiency and growth are foreign languages to these folks.

6. Ernie the Slow Adult

It is relevant, it's why they had to let KCP go. It's why they have to sit on the sidelines when all the big-time talent becomes available.

roscoe36 likes this.
  7. roscoe36

We had to let KCP go because we got an upgrade in Bradley at a reasonable cost.

tirtep and coynejeremy like this.
  8. The Panda

We let KCP go because he was asking for money disproportionate to his production. Companies aren't successful because they pay their secretary the big dollars.

tirtep, Mogilny, basketbills and 2 others like this.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Pick the secretary out of this group.

1.) KCP

2.) Leuer/Galloway/Boyankovich/Van Gundy's drool

10. The Panda

Ok that got a giggle.

But I feel like I am making a reasonable point. KCP is a below average player on many fronts (take a lot at his stats). Taking him on his own merits - is he worth $18+ million? I'd say the answer is almost definitely no. A lot of people are overvaluing him because he is relatively better than other members of the team - e.g. "If Reggie Jackson is worth $15m then KCP is definitely worth more". Whilst this appeals as an emotionally sound argument, it is particularly shallow.

Lueur has been horrible, I won't argue that. But we haven't seen Galloway play on this team and Boban was actually extraordinarily effective in very limited minutes. I imagine we will be pleasantly surprised when he gets some burn next year.

We don't agree on how effective Van Gumby is. But if you were ok with him waiving Josh Smith and letting Monroe become a FA, then there is no reason that you shouldn't be ok with this particular move. At worst, it is a lateral move which has saved some money. At best, we avoided being saddled with a big contract for a low character guy who won't even produce. At least he had the presence of mind to get out there and snatch up a solid replacement.

11. Ernie the Slow Adult

I still don't know if signing KCP was the right thing to do. I do know that if my choice is KCP or the Van Gundy 3rd string All Stars then I'll take KCP.

I don't think Smith or Monroe were handled well either. Smith should have been traded when they had the chance. Van Gundy would have had to take an actual PF back so he wouldn't do it.

I think the Pistons would be no worse off had they abstained from signing Meeks, Leuer et al and focused on retaining their younger guys.

Is signing KCP for the max any worse than Vic Oladipo getting it? He doesn't strike me as a "max" guy either, but he just got traded for Paul George. Wouldn't a move like that be good for win-now Van Gundy?

We are a terribly, terribly run team.

roscoe36 and The Panda like this.
  12. The Panda

That's a total non sequitur because that option was never on the table.

We would have to assume that a) there was a trade partner out there and b) that the offer was even remotely palatable. You would have been even angrier if the cost of getting rid of Smith was Drummond and a 1st.

And besides, this all seems a bit contrived when Smith was 'an actual PF'. He couldn't shoot, was best playing in the post and defended above the rim.

I agree. Meeks was perpetually injured and Lueur has just been bad. I'm still on the Bobanwagon though. If we were only going to win 35 games then I'd prefer to see a bunch of young guys develop on the way.

Again, this is a terrible way to frame the argument. There are many bad contracts in the NBA. Tim Hardaway Jr getting paid $71m/4 doesn't make KCP at 18 a bargain. Contracts for non-max guys who are decent are oft a case of being at the right place at the right time - see Ryan Anderson, Joakim Noah et al.

Maxing KCP is not the move of a good front office. Ask yourself this, would GSW caved and maxed him out? Would Cleveland, Boston or OKC? Boston just traded one of their best players for Piston scraps because they knew his contract demands would not fit into their plan.

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bradley had another year. He wasn't demanding anything yet. They just brought in another guy that put them over and they decided they needed a PF on a great contract more than a one year rental at SG (a position they were deeper at). They basically were in a similar position to us and made the exact opposite decision. They could have easily kept Bradley for another year by dumping lesser players.

14. roscoe36

If anything Smith's career since he was released has proven that the league didn't hold him in high esteem.

You can't make a deal if no one wants what you are selling. The problem with Smith goes back to Joe bringing him in. He was always a bit overrated in ATL, and a few guys (not me) spotted that right away.

Monroe, well, his career trajectory in MIL hasn't exactly been straight to the HOF.

When you say we're horribly run. I agree, the highest paid player in franchise history is the league's worst FT shooter of all-time.

THAT was a STUPID move in my books. That's the sort of move you make when you start to overvalue your own guys.

tirtep likes this.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Josh Smith is a curious case. What an athlete. Can't believe he wouldn't stop chucking and just live in the paint.

tirtep and roscoe36 like this.
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

The Josh Smith signing was done in the same short sighted win now mode as all these other ones. Sacramento wanted him but Van Gundy wouldn't do it.

It was Smith and filler for J Thompson and Derrick Williams. That's a long way from Drummond and a 1st.

roscoe36 likes this.
  17. tirtep

tirtep All-Star

I might be in minority here but I'm not sure which frontline I liked better.:

Drummond, Monroe, Smith or

Drummond, Leuer, Morris.

I too think Smith was an interesting player who was not utilised well enough, in order to get the maximum from him.

However, if you don't fit you must quit, though.:sad:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    roscoe36 likes this.
  18. roscoe36

Dumars signed Smith.

That was the rumor. A rumor and $2 will get you a cup of coffee almost anywhere in town.

19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Exactly. NO ONE on this hemisphere of the planet wanted Smith.

basketbills and roscoe36 like this.
  20. tirtep

tirtep All-Star

However, at one point he was considered the closest thing to Lebron James, just saying....:wink:

Sometimes, I don't know who is right and who is wrong...:confused:...not really... :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    roscoe36 likes this.