Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Omberto got hurt in Mavs game, got an irregular heartbeat:

From Yahoo:
    After seeing a cardiologist, Oberto was determined to have heart arrhythmia caused by taking a hit to the chest in Sunday's loss to the the rival Dallas Mavericks.
    "He got hit in the neck during the Dallas game and thought he was fine, then he said he felt racy," Popovich said. "He said he felt racy and his whole body sped up. We're just very lucky he said something."

Okay, guys, let's do it! FINALS:cheerleader: Stay healthy, focused, mean and intense. GO PISTONS/GO SPURS GO:)
  2. barbara SanAntone

Okay folks, we jumped in the water, splashed around a little, now it's time to swim. For some reason, I am not surprised about the Nugget win, (or the Spur loss) because it's game1. The thing about Spurs (and Pistons) they have play-off experience and the natural flow will take it's course. We havent seen what Nuggets had, really had, until yesterday.

It's like Texas hold-em. We've seen the flop, they showed us pretty much what they got, the turn will show our adjustments, and the river will be when we get them. :)

I think Nuggets were as good as they will get, which was pretty good. Will they prevail? I don't think so. Pop will figure out an answer.

Was I glad to see GSW win? You BET! Can't see Avery making adjustments yet, because he really hasnt figured Nellie out, but Cuban sure looked pissed:)

Glad Lakers got beat, Heat got beat, hated to see Raptors get beat, and glad to see Pistons get the Magic. :cheerleader:
  3. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Admit it BSA you're shaking in your cowgirl boots.
    No free chili.
  4. barbara SanAntone

Hey Thee, I'll start shaking in my boots when Pop shakes in his:) So far, we're just doing the old Texas 2 step. It's funny, Denver is here during our FIESTA, week long of daily parades, crazy cascarone cracking, etc. One Nugget thought it was Spurs-mania and made comment that SA only had one sports team, so that's why we go all out!

This is the week we celebrate when Santa Ana was captured in the Battle of San Jacinto, you know Santa Ana beat us at the Alamo:stirthepot: , so our new enemy is Denver.
  5. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I was a big Alamo fan.
    Too bad they got ripped apart. Jim Bowie and Davy Crockett WOW!
    I was 10 back then.
  6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Well BSA, looks like the Spurs aren't beyond thuggery. Now Big Shot Bob is getting into it.
    Bowen should be suspended for the rest of this series.
    The Suns are too quick for them, therefore the frustration.
    Good night now.
  7. barbara SanAntone

Well you guys, looks like it could be a REMATCH:) Suns/Spurs could have gone either way but happy to win game 6 and not have to go to PHX. What ultimately will work for Pistons and Spurs is their experience, and these play-offs really show that experience counts.

Good luck with Cavs, sweep them:gun1: I'm not sure we will have an easy time with Jazz, seems like when we played them in season they really made Spurs work, maybe the only time we won was when Boozer was out. So will just have to play it out.

GO PISTONS/ GO SPURS GO:hoops:
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

We know Big Game Bob is going to retire. I think it was calculated to get a couple impetuious Suns suspended. What did he have to lose?
  9. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Purrs did. I'm happy for you.
    2007 NBA CHAMPS
    SAN ANTONIO PURRS
    congrats
  10. barbara SanAntone

After the finals, I felt that it would probably be another year or 2 before Spurs won again, but I have to tell you, after watching them Sunday at the Spurs championship ceremonies (oh yes, 8hour river parade etc.) THEY REALLY LOOKED GOOD! I think they can make a run for it and get us a back2back. I think many of the teams, with their "coming of age" players who are developing into really strong teams, won't be able to do it this year, not enough time. They are out there and will eventually gel. In the meantime, Pop will just let other teams do what they do, and he will adjust accordingly, sort of like he did last year. It will be harder this year with the target on our back, and hard to fly under the radar, but I think we better do it now while other teams are more or less unorganized:sssh:
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

You watch Barbara: next year, the Spurs will start a little slower than the Suns, Mavericks, or Warriors, and the media will completely overlook them for the rest of the season. Under the radar and to the finals once again.

These media cats never learn.
  12. barbara SanAntone

I know,Linwood. Those early losses In Nov to the Cavs really fooled them into a state of false security. LBJ kept reminding his fans that they had beat the Spurs..twice. Then I guess he just dismissed them as an unworthy opponent and didnt pay any attention to how their game had improved. Tough lesson to learn kid.

I will tell you who I worry about. Avery Johnson. I think Kirk and Cuban tried to throw him under the bus, and if I was Avery, I would get myself out of D ASAP. Remember when D Wade talked about how Kirk wasn't a leader, etc (several weeks before end of season and Kirk got all pouty and Cuban jumps to his defense (on his website no less)? Then everytime Avery would get a plan, it was like it had to be approved by Kirk. Hey, that body language was pretty telling. Then when GSW were killing them, Kirk whines about how no plans are being run for him the way he is used to shooting and that is why his game was off. Avery looked very quiet but fuming underneath. THEN, Cuban starts bawling when he hugs Kirk and tells him how much he loves him and it wasnt his fault they lost...then (wink, wink) it was probably (point, point) AJ. I saw no support for Avery, and I think it will some to a head during next season. He needs to go to a team that shares his vision of winning!

I would love to see Nash come to Spurs. He is so good, so competitive, has such talent and BBIQ. The window for Nash is closing, Suns wont make it for at least 3 more years because their style is so inflexible and Nash needs his ring. He wont get one with Suns as they are now. Hell, he's only been there 3or 4 years, it's not like he owes them anything.

Just some rambling thoughts folks:)
  13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nash to the Purrs?
    Tony is the Finals MVP. Bup-Bup for Tony straight up.
  14. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Steve Nash would never ever ever go over to the Dastardly Spurs.:faint: I mean they don't even play the kind of ball he's best at. He would be so wasted on that team.

And why would they give up Tony Parker, who is a monster (in a magnificently diabolical way) for that team. Tony Parker is the perfect match for the team he's on...let's not mess with success here.

Steve Nash is my favorite player. The Spurs....my least favorite team that I am just now learning "to love to hate" instead of plain ol' hate.
    If Nashie became a Spur, my basketball fan life would be one of eternal suffering. :crying:
    Congrats and all Barb:winner_first_h4h:...but please don't put such a scary idea in my head.:gaah:
  15. barbara SanAntone

Hi Aurora:) Nah, just wishful thinking on my part. Actually Nash is friends with most all Spurs, Michael Finley thought about going to Suns because of Nash. But Nash has the strongest desire, an intensity to win, wanting to impose his will...He needs to get a ring NOW, with the Spurs. He couldnt seem to get that idea of winning across to his teammates and you could tell he was so frustrated at times.

Anyway Aurora, I know how you can feel about some players. I would love to see Adam Morrison be a Spur, that guy makes me laugh, Pop calls him a basketball junkie. I'm afraid he will burn out if he cant get a team who can teach him and work with him, without causing damage to his health which now has sevre type I diabetes.

:)
  16. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

BSA, it's nice to see you are still around. I need a tamales recipe.
  17. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Roger that, Barb. He looked desperate to infuse them with his intention in those Suns/Spurs game and for the most part, they just didn't catch fire for and with him. Plus he is totally the coach on the floor with them all. That's why I want him to win so bad. He is the ultimate basketball player to me.

Well dang I'll agree with you there. I think Adam Morrison would be a great fit for the Spurs. Plus Pop could teach him how to play the right way and use his gifts with wisdom. Plus then I would have three Spurs that I liked. It's a start. I would like Morrison for sure as a Spur. And then I already really like Finley and my fav of all Spurs who really makes me laugh....Fabricio Oberto!!! (He is hot, too...Nice cheekbones!) LOL.
  18. barbara SanAntone

Hi folks, havent made any tamales yet. Since there is no basketball talk, except for the draft, which is going to be pretty good...really weird trade talks going on...so I watch the cooking channel all the time:stirthepot: I never learned to cook but I love to watch them and figure...hmmm, I could do that.

Not sure what is going on with Omberto, talk about him becoming FA. Hope he can stay with Spurs, because he was so important during finals. It may come down to requesting more bucks and keep fingers crossed that Spurs will match.

I'm still fretting over Steve Nash. Dang it, Spurs never beat up on him like Suns org.is screwing him now. On sport shows, he is being referred to "an aging Steve Nash". So, here is the guy that has totally carried a team to any wins they could, and now he will be more like "you show these newcomers how to play and you know he will because he gives his all in the competitive spirit. But all he's going to do is get tired, used up by Suns org. And his best chance is to go with a winner, now, because there is only a short window of opportunity for Spurs and Nash. We will get a back2back, :sssh: and we want to take our friends with us.

Noooooo, Aurora, we wouldnt get rid of Parker. They both got hustle and IQ. Maybe could come up a Michael Finley scenario.

Good luck with your picks. I think it is so funny that nobody really wants Kobe Bryant and it socks him in his ego. :)
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Better us than anybody else about Kobe.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Spurs handled the re-signing of Duncan in a very creative way. They offered him the max amount (about $51M for 2 years), but also gave him a proposal for a lesser amount ($40M). They gave him projections for future years that showed that with the money the Spurs would save, they could surround him with better players.

He considered it for a few days, then came back to them and agreed to the lesser amount and effectively threw $11M in the garbage.

I'm wondering if a more tactful approach with Ben would have produced a similar result for us.