1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

Spur Talk

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 6, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

Jazz awaiting Spurs decision on Brown

By Linda Hamilton
    Deseret Morning News

"Utah Jazz senior vice president of basketball operations said Monday evening he has not heard yet if the San Antonio Spurs will match his offer sheet for restricted free-agent guard Devin Brown.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had told the San Antonio Express-News on Friday that he planned to discuss the matter with general manager R.C. Buford over the weekend and have a decision by Monday morning, but a public announcement was not made Monday.

O'Connor said he doubted the Spurs would do anything prior to the deadline — seven days from when they received a copy of the signed offer sheet — because another team might offer a trade over the next few days that would mean the Spurs would want to hold onto Brown. Or a Spurs player could sustain an injury.

Utah's two-year offer is apparently for $2.5 million this season, a bit more next season, with the second year at the option of the team.

O'Connor said he's not sure exactly when San Antonio received a copy of the offer sheet but guessed it was last Friday morning, meaning the Spurs have until this Friday morning to match it. Official NBA transactions list the date as Friday.

If there are no trades or injuries to complicate things, it seems unlikely San Antonio would be able to keep Brown as it has recently signed guards Nick Van Exel and Michael Finley and already has a 13-man roster, the NBA minimum. Also, the Spurs would likely go over the salary cap threshold, so matching on Brown might cost them nearly double the contract in luxury tax, according to the Express-News.

Brown, 26, was born in Ogden but has lived most of his life in San Antonio. He played 67 regular-season games for San Antonio last season, missing the last 15 with a herniated disk, He played limited minutes during the Spurs’ championship playoff run due to the back injury."

2. barbara SanAntone

barbara SanAntone First Round Draft Pick

Pop's Take on 7-man rotation

After signing Finley, Nick the Quick and Fabri, Pop offered a refresher course about our recent playoff history in Express-news. He said: If you think about it and look back at the Detroit series NBA Finals 2005 which the Spurs won with a shortened playing rotation, we played 7 people, period. You have to be pretty fortunate to play just 7 people in a series like that, so we can use more players, without a doubt.

Spurs knew they were up against a great team, and they were lucky to win. I sure hope Detroit wins the east, and beats Miami. Shaq called spurs a WNBA team, really.

Hey, G-Man thanks for starting Spurs thread. :)

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

barbara SanAntone,

Most of us have plenty of respect for the Spurs. It would be great to see a rematch this year.

4. barbara SanAntone

Spurs to play Miami in benefit game

Just heard on news Spurs will be coming home early from Virgin Islands
    (that's where they are right now) to play Miami Heat in game to benefit Katrina victims on October 10. All proceeds to go to survivors.:)

5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Finals rematch

I'd love to see a Spurs - Pistons rematch. However, I'd like the outcome to be a bit different this time around. The Spurs are starting to get a bit selfish with all of these Championships (or "Ships" if you prefer).

6. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Da Spurs

The Spurs are becoming a little bit like the Patiots. Sort of boring, but better than everyone else. Hopefully the Pistons can throw more players at the problem this year. Getting out of the East will be draining though.

7. ovee99

ovee99 Second Round Draft Pick

Spurs v. Pistons '06

These 2 teams have taken the necessary steps to get back to the Finals! Major difference is the 'Stones will have home court this time!

8. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I don't know if the Pistons are going to have home court during the finals. I think we are going to see some growing pains early in the season maybe the first 20-25 games or so. I think we might see a Pistons team hovering around .500 out of the gate. I think this time though we will be fully prepared if we face them again. No short bench and no coach looking to jump ship.:frusty:

9. barbara SanAntone

Spurs to go to new NBDL in Austin

SA Express News reported today that a new NBDL team, the Toros, are in Austin (70 miles from SA) and the Spurs players as well as Nuggets, Rockets and Clippers will go there. Team is owned by former Pacers GM David Kahn and will be coached by former Celtic star Dennis Johnson. They are going to try it out and re-evaluate it at end of 06-07.

BTW, some guy Adriano from Albuquerque who writes for some Hoops (?) said he doesn't think Spurs will win 05-06, too much star power. He thinks Indiana will win east. I emailed him and asked him why he would pick Indiana over Pistons, who I think have the best team in east. He didnt answer. Oh, well.

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

The guy writes for Hoops? :rolleyes:

That says it all. Looks like the Pistons and Spurs again if Hoops says it's gonna be other teams.

11. barbara SanAntone

Hmm, Rockets might give us problem..

Rockets havent bothered me too much because I felt Yao Ming was still immature, but I think that has changed. I read an interesting article about him on Sports Illustrated. Wow, his mom and dad both played bball in China, both over 6', matched to have a "basketball child", China even considered breaking their "one child" rule for them to have more kids. :) Anyway, when he came from China, he was very much under mama's wing but since being in Houston, he is getting more independent and I think it will show in his playing this year. Dang it, I think the kid's grown up:eek:

12. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Me-Yao would be tougher if he had a big brother to push him around....:boink: The Spurs can thank the "China rule" for bringing over a 7' 6" %%%%%cat. :usa2:

13. barbara SanAntone

Spurs signed 5 Free Agents 9/29/05

SA Express News reported that Spurs signed 5 free agents Thursday, 3 forwards and 2 guards: Jawad Williams, forward, North Carolina; Sharrod Ford, Forward, Clemson; Melvin Sanders, forward, Dakota Wizards; Kyle Bailey, guard, Santa Clara; Stephen Graham, guard, Oklahoma State.

Nothing was said about what Pop has in mind, nothing about what he plans to do with them :doh: See, this is why I come to this forum, at least you all know everything about each Piston and the moves the organization makes.I know more about the Pistons than I do the Spurs:)

I also know more about the teams Spurs will come against this season, thanks to this forum. So far, I think Spurs think Detroit is the team they will have to beat. TC is in Virgin Islands right now, but they will come back Monday 10/10 to play Miami. Dying to see how Miami is playing with all their changes. :confused:

14. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Never heard of the players you named. As for the mactch up with miami they'll do great real great, but come playoff time they'll see their championship hopes die because of the Pistons...again.

15. barbara SanAntone

Finally, Spurs are talking (a little)

Pop said something on the news tonight about how hard it is on coaches to repeat. SA Express News (SpursZone) Pop: As coaches we have to create an environment where we don't allow anyone to skip a step or think they have arrived...if you try to cut that short, comes June, you're going to watch someone else on TV. The spurs previous 2 efforts at repeating taught them not to look too far ahead.

Spurs, like Pistons, didn't get much respect. Bruce Bowen says "Now, we have to fight what people are saying how good you are. You have to fight that battle as if no one is saying anything. Since I've been here, that's been our motto: Fly under the radar, take care of business and things will happen as they should."

Duncan: "more talent doesn't always mean a better team."

Ginobili: Tim didnt cut his hair since the finals and Manu hopes he will consider afro like Detroit center Ben Wallace.

On news: VanExel says he did find out one surprising thing about Tim: he talks.

Good article on Horry and VanExel being alike and comments on tempers.

Article: Mike Monre: Jackson ready to take his shot at challenging Spurs. (Phil Jackson, the man San Antonio "loves to hate".)

Maverick coach Don Nelson is at Spurs TC, invitation of Pop's. Former Mavs, VanExel and Finley, were surprised to see their former coach at practice. Pop said: They asked who was coaching the team? I told them we both were.

I think they are mostly having fun in Virgin Islands.:)

16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

That's funny!

17. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Spurs are struggling, have lost first 3 games. 1 was against Miami, but the other 2 were against Philly (Iverson scored 27 in only 26 minutes), and Washington...

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Struggling in the preseason. October is fool's gold anyways.

There is little doubt that the Spurs will win their division and be an elite team this year. Right now they are probably working more on figuring out the tail end of their roster than trying to rack up Ws.

19. himat

himat Bench Warmer

I know they won't struggle in the regular season, but when I checked the boxscores its not like we're using our starters more than the pistons, and we're still winning.

Come on they lost to the wizards and according to the boxscore they only used Antawn for 14 minutes, and they never even played Arenas!

http://www.nba.com/games/20051013/WASSAS/boxscore.html

20. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Pre-season means nothing.

If you really think the Spurs won't be a top seed in the West because they lost to the Wizards in pre-season than you should watch the finals again from last year.