Spree is running out of options

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by ggazoo69, Sep 3, 2005.

1. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Sounds like Spreewell and his agent would like to orchestrate a sign-and-trade with the Lakers. I don't see where he fits in with Miami.

From the L.A. Daily News:

Latrell Sprewell doesn't like the money the Lakers are offering, but he appears to be running out of options.

Sprewell, the talented but controversial free-agent guard who played last season in Minnesota, is seeking a deal starting at $5 million per season. He has spoken to the Lakers, which can offer only the $2.5 million remaining from its midlevel exception.
    But lately, potential suitors San Antonio and Denver eliminated themselves from consideration by using their full $5 million midlevel exceptions to sign Michael Finley and Earl Watson, respectively.
    That leaves only Miami, which has its full $5 million slot, and the Lakers as the remaining logical landing points for Sprewell.
    Sprewell's agent, Robert Gist, confirmed Friday he hasn't been in contact with the Heat, but he has talked with the Lakers. "When Latrell thinks about the Lakers, he gets a big smile on his face," said Gist. "Playing alongside a great player like Kobe Bryant and for a great coach like Phil Jackson is something he's very intrigued by."
  2. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

It just shows how dumb, as well as greedy, he is for not signing the extension the T'Wolves offered him a while back. His situation makes me think of Maurice Clarett who was even more ignorant then LS. After being drafted in the 3rd round by Denver, he could've signed a $400,000+ guaranteed contract, but instead chose to sign an incentive laced deal, worth alot more $, but with no guarantee. He of course was cut the other day and is now left with squat. :doh:

Stupid is as stupid does.
  3. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Zoso

But...But...his kiddies DO need to eat !!
  4. Zoso

Zoso First Round Draft Pick

LOL!

Sprewell looked like such a fool with his now infamous comments. If I'm not mistaken, he also said - "A million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to."

Unbelievable.

He's nothing more then an ungrateful and greedy individual that doesn't appreciate anything. He'll never live those comments down and rightfully so.
  5. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

Although I agree that Spreewell is a greedy SOB.

He's got a point about a million dollars. When you live a high luxurious life, you get accustomed to it and the world's a pricey place. When you look at guys in the NHL making 3.5 million a year and stuff, its great but not THAT great.

I stayed at Jeff O'Neal (former Hurricaine's center now Maple Leaf player)'s cottage in Muskoka up north for a week last year (my ex gf's parents knew him). It was an amazing corner place with two cottages. He gets paid around 2-4 million I think and the cottages there are already around that much (if not more. I saw a $12 million cottage up for sale on the boards)

Think about how much everyone wants to be an athlete to make big bucks to afford everything but can't even pay off their cottage in one year? If you're an athlete/superstar, I think one of the biggest bonuses is being able to live that luxurious lifestyle.

But then again that is hockey and they do get paid a LOT less than basketball players do...
  6. Darth Tater

rdang

You are kidding, right? Sprewell lives a lifestyle most people can only dream of. There are a whole lot of people who work REAL jobs out there and who work much harder than him and they can't even afford to pay a slum lord's rat infested apartment rent or feed their children. I'm not talking about feeding the kids lobster tail & caviar, either. So we should feel for the guy who cannot afford TWO gorgeous COTTAGES on the beach? Yeah, I guess a million dollars won't get you what it used to. But you know what, I'd sure like to go out and see what it WOULD get me! The guy has no concern for others or he wouldn't have made that insensitive comment. He better count his blessings for what he does have. If not for basketball, where do you think he would be? Prison, maybe?
  7. rdang

That's the argument though Darth. Those people who are struggling to eat and stuff, call me a pessimist but maybe they're not working hard enough? And even if they are working hard enough there's always a reason for it. They complain about how little they make by comparing how much/how hard they work to others and thats exactly what NBA players do. Look at Dalembert who just got a huge raise because another crappy center did a %%%%ty job and got paid more. Is he worth the money? That's up to you to decide.

These guys are pro athletes with God-given abilities mixed with hard work and dedication. They get paid millions of dollars to entertain us (which in my opinion is one of the hardest things to do).

I think athletes do deserve the millions that are given to them because of what they put at risk on the line. You really think a NBA player can make millions by opening up a business somewhereif they didn't make it pro? How many high prospects bust and end up losers/drug addicts?

You can be gracious (which Spreewell isn't really) but at the same time: know your worth. People shove out lots of cash to attend games and its for a reason. A big part of that dollar amount goes to the player and its damn well deserved. They work hard for a big part of the year and when its the off season, if they wanna relax in their two cottage resort, they should be able to afford it.

I mean comeon, even little Bow Wow (as an entertainer) probably makes more than most NBA players :doh:
  8. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Spree

I'm just glad we didn't sign him. I'd rather have an open roster spot than see Spree in a Piston's jersey.
  9. Darth Tater

rdang

I agree, Some people are where they are in life because they didn't work or try (however, the lack of opportunity to do so is another can of worms beyond the scope of this conversation, I think). But what about the person who worked hard to get where they were and are laid off after 12 years and cannot find another job in their field or a job that pays close to what their previous job paid?

I guess the lesson here is to live within our means. Prepare for the future. If Spree lived a lifestyle where he expected to be a superstar for 25 years and make superstar money, he was not realistic. He made plenty of money to reward him for his efforts and if he blew it all so that he can no longer live the life of Riley, he will not receive any sympathy from me. Believe me, you could be starving and if he passed you on the street I'll bet he wouldn't even bat an eyelash. That's the kind of guy he seems to be.
  10. rdang

I can't really say anything to that. He's definately trash and not cut out to be a Piston. I just hope he goes to Miami so they can finally implode in their own egos.
  11. Darth Tater

rdang

You know, I was kind of hoping the same thing. Let Shaq and Van Gundy deal with him! lol.
  12. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Karma...

...is a beautiful thing. :)
  13. linwood

linwood All-Star

I like the guy

Forgive me, I know I'm going against popular opinion here, but I am glad Spree is in the NBA. As someone stated, these guys get paid to entertain, and "I have to feed my kids", and "a million dollars doesn't go as far as it used to" are classic lines that we will all remember. And lets be honest for a minute here, who hasn't wanted to choke their boss at one time or another. I know I have, I am just not important or talented enough to get away with it:).

Also add the cornrow to his contributions. Where would the style of players like Rip Hamilton, Allen Iverson, Carmello Anthony, and now Danny Fortson be without Spree?

As far as Trell in a Pistons uniform, as long as he played 100% (I know, thats a long shot) I would love to have him here. Antics aside, the guy does have one hell of a game when he tries.
  14. ovee99

ovee99 Second Round Draft Pick

Never Had Never Will...

Like Latrell Sprewell. He's a poster boy for how not to be. He just keeps opening mouth, inserting foot. I truly think he will not be on an NBA Roster on opening day unless of an injury. Teams like Miami needn't spend their entire MLE just for the sake of it. Should he go to LA it will be intersting to say the least. Kwame and Latrell in the 2 man game. Can't wait....
  15. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

Give me a million dollars. I perhaps would not be set for life but I would be living very well and retirement would be all set. It kills me that these clowns whine over these large dollar amounts when you got family's of 4 living off 20K a year.
  16. Darth Tater

Well, since I'm ticked over the Free Press Darko EBC article anyhow, I thought I may as well talk about Sprewell. :mad: (Hey, that search button actually worked for me when I was looking for this thread:))

I read an article today from the L.A. Daily News that said the Pistons are still considering Sprewell but he wants to start. (Which we knew).

The bulk of the article, however, dealt with the Lakers.They talked about Koby & Phil and a "sign and trade" that apparently is the main block holding up Sprewell from signing with L.A.
    I hope they sign him so he isn't "desperate" enough to accept a bench spot in Detroit.:pray:

Can you imagine what that team will be like with Koby, Spree,and Phil? They really must be in bad shape to take a chance on a mix like that. Ohhhh, I am so looking forward to despising them. I can't think of two players I hate more. The only coach I hate more than Phil is "Van Jeremy."

I'll be shocked if they succeed with that mix. They deserve each other. I can already see the finger pointing when things go wrong.
  17. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I can see the arguing back and forth :fencing: already.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Please Spree, got to Miami, but I'll settle for LA. In miami with Payton, Walker, J-Will and maybe, just maybe Rodney White....it would be CLASSIC. Shaq would catch an assualt case in practice, and Wade would just go crazy. D-Wade is a nice, cool, humble guy that doesn't even drink, in that circus they'd drive him into a str8 jacket, after he left the liqour store.

In LA with Phil, Kobe, Kwame and a talented underused Odom, they'd stay in the news.
  19. Darth Tater

KGreg

LMAO. Seriously, I can see that stuff happening...and I hope it does.

:yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell::yell:

:boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing::boxing:

Hurry up season. Start already!!!!!
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Last I heard, Spree wants to start. I think that has to do with the income a starter draws over an old veteran backup.

Is there any team with a need for Spree as a starter? I can't think of one off the top of my head.

As far as I am concerned, Spree screwed himself last year, and should try to retire while he still has some (any?) dignity left.