Someone give me a reason to have hope for this franchise..

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by blueadams, Jan 7, 2013.

1. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

I'm in a bad way as a Pistons fan right now.

I love Andre. I think he's going to be a franchise player. I think he's going to be the best (true) big man in the game not named Dwight in two or three seasons. I think he's a great piece to build around.

I like Monroe. I like him. I think he's a solid #3 or #4 scorer on a championship-level team.

There are some other pieces on the team I think could be solid bench contributors on a championship-level team.

I see cap space. This off-season. Perhaps the next. Perhaps the next. I see no elite FA's that will ever come here.

I see the need for a true star, go-to scorer. I see the need for a #2 scorer.

Given our unknown desire to be the #8 seed - and to have the pleasure of getting plastered by Miami - for the rest of Joe-D's tenure......making it impossible to draft the players we need to COMPETE (making it impossible to acquire the players we need period)..

I am just completely and utterly HOPELESS. I don't think I've ever quite felt this way about a team. Even the Millen-era Lions teams, they were at least trying to build a championship team. Us, right now, I don't think we're even trying. I think we've got a moron GM who just doesn't get how it's done nowadays. I think we've just got a scumbag owner who supports that bc he wants to sell tickets in the short-term and turn a quick profit on his investment.

I wish I was the kind of person who could adopt a second NBA team. But as it is, I'm just losing interest in professional basketball. Thank God Michigan Bball is good.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As an alum I have a HUGE bias, but I really think that Trey Burke is a franchise PG, or at least an upgrade over what we already have. We won't suck bad enough to get Shabazz Muhammed or Ben McClemore, and I just don't see Anthony Bennett being a great NBA player as a 6'8" PF; but I do see Trey Burke as a guy who's ceiling is Chris Paul, at worst he's Kyle Lowery, I'd be happy if he's as good as Ty Lawson....either way ALL THREE of those guys are upgrades over what we have.

This Summer:
    1. Draft Burke ($2.5M)
    2. Amnesty Stuckey (Gives us about $24M in cap space)
    3. Sign OJ Mayo ($8M)
    4. Trade Brandon Knight for 2015 1st round draft pick.
    5. Give Austin the 1 year qualifying offer ($4M)
    6. Give Will a 1 year contract ($3.5M)
    7. Sign Chauncey to a 1 year contract. ($8.5M)
    Austin and Will are insurance players who are also 1 year expiring's that can be used as trade fillers.
    Next season, Chaz, Will and Austin are all expiring deals, totaling $15M in contracts, now keep in mind most of that will be used to re-up Moose....or will it? Those contract and Moose may be the pieces needed to get the FRANCHISE player on the wing that we desperately need.
    Actually, we're a young team that is improving, we're in ball games, we just struggle to win them in the end because you need that ONE player who can get his own shot in the last 2:30 of the 4th quarter; right now Bynum is our best option......and that ain't good!
    The Panda and Nemo like this.
  3. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

blueadams........sounds like you're saying that Millen did better than JD is currently doing. Hope you're not right.

Rascoe won't be able to eat after reading that post. :puke:
    roscoe36 likes this.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep Burke is probably coming out no matter if the Wolverines win the whole thing or not. Currently he is rated as the fifth best pg in the mock draft but his stock will continue to rise as long as Michigan remains in the top 5 and gets to the final four. I would love for Joe to draft him if he is still on the board with our probable 7-10 pick again. The question is will still be there and will Joe actually draft an instate player. He is still smarting from the Mateen Cleaves draft curse. :crying:
  5. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I'm all in on this team needing a pass first true PG now.... Burke looks to be a better shooting better passer better leader then the only PG the team has at the moment. I still think Knight can be a player in the league, but I think he's not the best type of PG to tandem up with Drummond going forward.

Stuckey I don't think is in the group of players that the amnesty can be used on. Think all we'll have to use it this summer on would be CV.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

He'll be there. Teams are too enamored with the size on Michael Carter Williams (even though to me he's just another Javaris Crittendon....without the guns) and he CAN'T SHOOT straight, same thing with Marcus Smart at Oklahoma State, couple that with the fact that most of the top of the draft is filled with PF's and Centers.....and so long as we actually have a draft pick in this draft, Joe will have the opportunity to draft Burke.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dang it! You're right! He did sign his deal after the CBA.......... :frusty:
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Despite jettisoning Ben Gordon there is still a fierce battle for the worst Pistons contract.
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We are still pay Rip Hamilton $5.5 million THIS YEAR.
  10. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Dude, Burke might end up being a top 5 pick the way he's playing. We'll probably be picking in the teens. Even if we were lucky enough to get a shot at Burke, what makes you think Dumarse would give up on Knight and take him? And what FRANCHISE player do you see us acquiring?? And isn't Mayo an RFA? What makes you think we'd be able to get him? What makes you think someone would give up a lotto pick for Knight?

The team you described..even if it happened..wouldn't be good enough to beat the Heat or OKC
  11. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Not necessarily better. I'm a die hard Lions fan. Even bigger than I am a Pistons fan. At no point during the Millen era did I think we weren't at least trying to win a championship. I can honestly say now that I feel the Pistons are aiming just to be a door-mat for the Heat. Not to win a championship. It's sad. Hurts.
  12. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Correct on Stuckey. His contract was signed after the new CBA. The amnesty should've been used on Gordon - as opposed to giving up a 1st rd pick to get rid of him.
  13. BillLaimbeer

Why would we pick in the teens? We currently have the 6th worst record in the entire league and we just got beat by the lowly Bobcats on our own floor.

The next ten games to wrap up January:

@ Milwaukee
    vs. Utah
    vs. NY Knicks
    vs. Boston
    vs. Orlando
    @ Chicago
    @ Miami
    @ Orlando
    vs. Milwaukee
    @ Indiana

That looks like about a 2-8 stretch to me. That puts us at 15-31. That puts us on pace (.326) for a top five pick.
  14. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Sort of random here, but.. Stuckey reminds me more of an Iverson-lite at the same stage than CP3. But less selfish, more of a point-guard. CP3 is hands down the best and quickest ball-handler I've ever seen. Perhaps that anyone has ever seen. Burke's going to be a great NBA player, I think, but I'd be surprised if there's someone else who's as smooth with the ball, and as dangerous a distributor, as CP3 in the next decade.
  15. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Sure, but there is still, of course, our annual tradition of winning 75% of our meaningless games leading up to the draft to look forward to.
  16. BillLaimbeer

Magic Johnson and John Stockton both averaged over 10 assists per game. Chris Paul cannot say that.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Good point. Looks like another #9 pick....
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I guess I was surprised to see Dumards say he wouldn't use his cap space on traded players. That seems like the best way to get some headliners in there.
    Hope(but doubt)fully he only meant at the deadline this year.
  19. blueadams

blueadams Team Captain

Burke averages more assists per game in the Big10 than Magic did. Does that make him a better passer?
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star