Some Fantasy Questions

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports Central' started by Dirk Diggler, Sep 28, 2005.

1. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Not bad.

I would say it is pretty even. The only reason why this is close though is because of the free throw pct. boost that Rip gives you. Rip goes to the line often and more importantly he makes his free throw attempts. It is not unlikely to get a 10-10 performance from Rip that single handedly puts you back into contention from the strike.

Chandler is by far the hotter commodity though based on my previous analysis.

2. MotownPride

I think Jameer is a risk because the Magic brought in Kenyon Dooling.

I don't know how Boykins factors into the equation in Denver with the acquisition of Earl Watson.

Luke Ridnour is a sleeper pick. He will see more minutes this year and put up some strong numbers.

You might also want to look at Deron Williams from Utah. Point guards tend to do very well in Jerry Sloan's system.

Mike James, Sebastian Telfair and Shaun Livingston are also worthy of some consideration.

3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

I made a counteroffer hopefully he'll accept: Chandler + Damon for Vince. I figure Chandler's got some REAL value now after last night's game and a trade for an injury-prone Vince is good. I already have Ben/Yao/Kristic/Dampier in this league so my rebounds should be good without Chandler there.

And Boykins will definately still be Denver's viable option over Earl Watson. Last season during the playoffs Boykins was giving opponents fits. He was unstoppable, watching him play - amazed me. I just kept relishing the idea of him in a Piston's jersey.

4. MotownPride

great deal if you can pull it off. Let me know how that goes.

Earl is defintely one of my favorite players in the league. I'm sure a Watson, Boykins press is going to give the opposing team fits (similar to another pair I know :) ). I still think that his minutes and fantasy value will take a hit with the return of Voshon and the acquisiton of Watson. I'll be watching. :)

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Second Round Draft Pick

what is so special about Shane Battier?? he is ranked 49th in my league and is still a free agent, what stats does he help with?

6. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

dirk

I'd say he's a poor mans Tayshaun Prince, maybe a block & a steal per game, 5 boards few assists, a triple or two...he's got a good all around game, but how many minutes he'll get is the question.

It looks like Memphis isnt as deep as they were last year, so his numbers might be better...

7. MotownPride

on the money. I completely agree with your analysis.

8. Dirk Diggler

This is my first time doing fantasy basketball, I'm just wondering if I could get some input on my up to date roster, if there is room for improvments let me know:

At PG: Iverson, Billups, Ridnour
    At SG: Ginoboli, Jim Jackson, Josh Childress
    At SF: Mo Pete, Jalen Rose
    At PF: Sheed, Boozer, Chandler,
    At Center: Brad Miller, Bogut

I know there is always room for improvment, but if you can think of areas where I need help, let me know of some realistic moves I can make, thanks

9. MotownPride

It would help greatly if you would list the categories you are trying to win with this squad. Based on a quick glance it looks like you have alot of quality players on your team. Nice job. :)

10. #1Pistonfan

#1Pistonfan First Round Draft Pick 2x Fantasy Champion

Looks like you might be lacking in the blocks department, but its kinda hard to gauge without the help of their statistics right in front of ya....

11. MotownPride

After taking another look at your roster, I was able to see the categories that you should excel in:

Great - Assists, Points, Rebounds, 3 pointers, and Steals
    Moderate - FG%, FT%
    Poor - Turnovers and Blocks

Seems like a pretty solid squad to me. If I were you, I'd try to build/focus on your great categories and see if you can improve on some of the moderate areas if possible. Poor areas, just disregard when deciding to pick up a player.

12. Dirk Diggler

thanks for your help

13. MotownPride

no prob. :)

14. Dirk Diggler

I need some advice

I have Iverson on my team, I am a little concerned with his knee condition, should I hang onto him or should I try to trade him. If I should trade him who should I try to get, I want someone who will give me good points and assists, so I'm looking at some type of guard or SF (since I'm weak at SF), thanks for your help

15. MotownPride

Dirk

Replacing Allen Iverson is a difficult task. Traditionally, like real life, it has always been challenging to get equal value for this talented player. Field goal pct and turnovers can be a turn off for many. From an offensive standpoint there really isn't anyone in the league that matches the points Allen gives you on a nightly basis. Ultimately you might have to pull a two for one deal to get what you need. Here is a list of players you might want to target in a trade:
    • Gilbert Arenas - mini AI stat-wise perhaps your best bet!
    • Vince Carter & ??? - satisifies scoring requirment but leaves a little bit short in assists
    • Steve Francis & ??? - satisfies assists requirement but needs another player to supplement scoring
    The reason why I name these candidates is because they have traditionally had troublesome field goal percentages or health has been in an issue for them in the past. You might be able to get them at a good price. I expect Vince Carter to have a career season as a result of a full year with J-Kidd, while Steve Francis is perhaps underrated seeing that he was originally slated to play at the shooting guard position this season. Now that he has been named the starting PG, I expect his assists to be amongst the best in the league once again this year.

Another piece of advice.

Unless you are weary that Iverson will go on the injured list early, you might want to trade him after he has some big games under his belt early in the season. He is much more marketable after a 40 point game than during the pre-season with questions about his health abound. Sell high, buy low. That is how you make the biggest improvements on your team.

Just a couple things to think about.

16. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

AI's the man. He was my first pick in our PF advanced league (granted I had the 2nd to last pick).

I also have Steve Nash.... any takers?

17. MainManJoeD

MainManJoeD First Round Draft Pick

Squad for my other league

Here's what I started with (computer generated draft)

PG-none (I thought that couldn't happen)
    SG-Ray Allen, Steven Jackson
    SF-LeBron, Artest, Iguodala
    PF-Bosh, Okafur, Randolph, Webber, Murphy
    C-Magliore, Dalembert, Krstic

(its an 8 team league so the talent is not so diluted) Obviously, I went big, and got big.

I recently made a trade of LeBron and Bosh for Wade and Arenas.

PG-Wade, Arenas
    SG-Ray Allen, Steven Jackson
    SF-Artest, Iguodala
    PF-Okafur, Randolph, Webber, Murphy
    C-Magliore, Dalembert, Krstic

Good or bad deal?

18. MotownPride

I think you did pretty darn well with that deal!

JEESH! you have a squad! :thumb:

Very impressive!

Just to give yourself some more zip you might want to trade Murphy or Kristic for another Shotblocker. The combination of Okafur and Dalembert is pretty good but a third shot blocker would really make you dangerous in that category.

19. KP

KP First Round Draft Pick

Rookies

What are your thoughts on having rookies on a fantasy squad. I'd be real high on Chris Paul of the Hornets.

He's a gifted playmaker who can really score. He's only got to beat out Speedy Claxton for minutes.

20. MotownPride

I think of all the rookies, Chris Paul appears to have the most upside fantasy-wise based on the preseason. His numbers look phenomenal. The fact that he is on a lottery team makes him a really attractive pick. Traditionally, teams in the "rebuilding mode" provide their emerging talent the opportunity to play alot of minutes to develop their game at a more accelerated pace.

A pattern that I have also seen in fantasy leagues in the past is that often rookies I either underated or overated in terms of initial ranking. They truely are a wildcard and can be the difference maker in very deep leagues. Where rookies really hold their value is during the fantasy league playoffs. At the end of the season, (which consequently is when the playoffs begin) veteran players and stars of playoff contenders are notorious for taking days off. This is the time when the rookies shine. Think Darko @ Atlanta last year.

Be on the lookout throughout the season. You never know when the next great rookie fantasy contributer might emerge.