Soft Players

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by G-man, Sep 5, 2005.

1. G-man

G-man Starter

:scared: "Yikes! He's bringing it at me!"

Okay, this list is from the link below. Interesting points to be made, 3 guys on it from Coach Browns new team and they didn't even mention Allan Houston. What's that tell you about Larrys intestinal problems? Will it get better or worse?

#1. Vince Carter, Jersey
    #2. Wally Szczerbiak, Minny
    #3. Kandiman, Minny
    #4. Channing Frye, Knicks
    #5. No-Mo Taylor, Knicks
    #6. Sally Van Horn, Mavs
    #7. J. Crawford, Knicks
    #8. J. Bender, Pacers
    #9. Paul Gasol, Grizz - (grrr-er-purrrr)
    #10. Cuttino Mobley, Kings reigning Queen?

Here's the link for reference. Would these be your ten guys or did they miss somebody? (Chucky Atkins - come on down!)

http://probasketball.about.com/od/player1/tp/nbamakeover05.htm
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I don't get how Channing Frye makes that list without playing a single regular season game.

I like Gasol making that list. For a guy that talented, he's a total softie. Basically everything we don't want DMC to become. Or Kandi. or Van Horn.
  3. rdang

rdang First Round Draft Pick

That's a good list but I think Jonathon Bender might produce one day.

Here's my addition to the list:

-Shawn "I'm in everyone's Poster" Bradley

Why?

[​IMG]

7'6 and these things happen? Not to mention his various injuries.
  4. DaviaG-Rap

DaviaG-Rap First Round Draft Pick

How is Pau Gasol soft?

Gasol has made Sheed and Ben his b!tch many a time. He rebounds, blocks shots, and will bang in the post.

Soft is getting 1 rebound in a Finals Game 7. Or taking more 3's than free throws in an NBA season. Soft is guaranteeing a win and not doing sh!t to make it happen.
  5. Griffin

Griffin First Round Draft Pick

I think Gasol's on his way to becoming a decent player in this league. Did you see him in the playoffs? He was carrying Memphis for long stretches. I'm not familiar with Gasol enough to argue against his being on this list. But I've never seen evidence that he belongs among the Van Horn's of the world. Soft? Maybe. But not that soft.

Which brings me to Dirk Nowitzki. This guy is supposed to be the star of his team and yet where was he during the playoffs? He was exposed for something...I don't know if I'd call him soft or simply easier to guard than previously assumed...but I'm left to wonder if maybe Dirk isn't a little softer than we all realize.

I mean, Ryan Bowen took Dirk's game to a halt....(pause for effect).

I'm hoping Dallas fans don't give #41 a free pass for this one.

Similarly, what about Peja? Crap, this guy was a train wreck last season, and he's always a train wreck in the playoffs. Yes, Peja should definitely be on this list.

And for fun...what about ol' potato-face himself, Tim Duncan? Worst Finals MVP ever. For being "the greatest power forward of all time," he crumbled - CRUMBLED - against the pressure. And that must not be overlooked.
  6. roscoe36

Griff, good post. Yeah, Peja. That cat is soft. Big time. It's almost like now that Webber is gone, people forget Peja exists.

Anyway, Dirk has been going to the line more and keeping up his rebounding numbers. Yeah, no one will confuse him with a warrior, but he does do his share of the physical labour. Maybe nothing extra, but at least his fair share.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

That's a good point. Timmy was one quarter away from making that list...we were all talking about his disappearing free throw missing act and then the tides turned and he became a hero.
  8. max

max All-Star

Griffin/Duncan

In some of those games. Like in game 5 Horry's shot would not have mattered if Duncan had not scored 25 points that game.
  9. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

All Warrior Team

I think that list is pretty accurate, including the names you guys added.

How about the top 10 warriors in the league?

I think AI has to be near the top of that list for sure. Big Ben deserves a nod as well.

Who else? I'll leave it open for some discussion.
  10. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I posted this a while back on that other forum.

http://probasketball.about.com/od/player1/tp/nbawarriors.htm

Top ten Warriors

1) Ben

2) Psycho Ron

3) Garnett

4) Brian Grant

5) Reggie Evans

6) Rip Hamilton

7) Mike Bibby

8) PJ Brown

9) Shane Battier

10) Bobby Simmons

Now this is a weird list. Shane Battier? And to be honest I don't put Rip in this list either. A warrior is a tough guy, right?
  11. roscoe36

Battier is a lunch bucket guy. I can see how he makes 9 on the toughness list.
  12. detteam

detteam All-Star

Battier brings it all the time...I would love to see him in a Pistons uniform...he'd be a perfect fit here.
  13. G-man

G-man Starter

Battier...Hmmm...

Gotta agree that Battier is one of the most fundamentally sound players in the league right now. It's a shame he's wasting his early years in Memphis (no offense intended to our friends from Memphis).

Truth be told (okay I'll tell it) he's not very fleet of foot. But he has a nose for the game, boxes out pretty good and ends up with the ball for his effort. He's got Piston written all over him.

Here's the thing, he's entering his final year in Memphis, he'll get $4.9 mil.
    I can't find any options so he looks like a free bird next June. So I guess the question is, who would trade from Detroit to see Battier in Detroit?

The 6'8, 230lb SF is only 27. He averages 23 mpg (on 44%fg), scores 10.6, boards 4.9, avg's 1.7 asts, steals 1.32 and knocks down 75% from the charity stripe. If Memphis is dead in the water come mid-January, should Joe D. hunt him down? Trade and re-sign? It's a no-brainer they trade him rather than see him leave in Free Agency and get nothing in return.

As a comparison RunDMC is getting $4.1 mil from the Pistons this season and $5.2 mil next.

Example; I think the the Pistons could trade RunDMC and Dupree for Battier. RealGM can't calculate the trade 'cause they show Dupree in the Last Non-Exercisable Year of his contract (but I think that's for the season just ended, 04/05. I wondering if the RealGM software won't register the new year, 05/06 until the season starts . It's telling me "Players that are in the last non-exercisable year of their contract can't be traded after the trade deadline when teams can once again trade players after their season is over."

What would guy do? Battiers numbers are exceptionally sound considering he's getting it done in 23mpg... :confused:
  14. Zarman56

Zarman56 Guest

With Rip maybe they meant durable, he hasn't missed to many games as a piston while logging some large minutes.

Apart from having his nose plastered all over his face that is. :)

Z
  15. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Battier....

I love Battier's game. Brings it every game with a good rapport with the fans but I'm still thinking Darko is too much to give up for him.

Yeah, yeah, Darko has a separate forum so I know what I'll hear. Hehe :)

But the promise of a salvageable player and a decent big man is still there to give up for a bench player behind Tayshaun. Evans will be here.

But here's the thing, if we can trade Delfino, Dupree and a pick or something or maybe Arroyo. I'd be up for it.:eyebrows:
  16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Sure would be nice having Battier manning the backup SF spot...
    It would have to come via trade
    Unfortunately it won't happen via Free agency... he did sign a new contract last year...
    Once again Hoopshype drops the ball.
    Per Patricia:
    Shane Battier ......... 8/24/01,7/15/04 4+6 $10,317,122+$36.8mill '11

The '11 is the ending year of the new deal.
    But hey they could use a PG after losing their top two PG's this year.
  17. G-man

G-man Starter

Merc,
    I should'a double checked that contract against Patricica's info, just shoddy work on my part, and I apologize for it. :frusty:

Still seems like a really reasonable 6 yer extension amount. Battier is their "Everready bunny" and all around all-American guy. That makes me feel even worse knowing he locked down the most productive years of his career with Memphis. Won't be getting out "sans trade" until he's at least 32 years old.
  18. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Van Horn and Tim Thomas

Van Horn really needs to be escalated on that list. Seriously, I could walk on the court, slap the hell out of Van Horn, and he probably would not change his facial expression. Tim Thomas is useless...although he did try to shed some of his soft skin when he was challenged by Kenyon Martin. Neither one of them play ball with any intensity. It just erks me to death.

I'm a Detroit Pistons Bad Boy fan. What do you expect? :)

Tim Duncan is argueably one of the greatest if not THE greatest Power Forward of all-time....and he is one of the softest players I have ever seen. No emotion. Never seems to get too physical. But yet, he executes flawlessly (with the exception of the free throw line) and his team wins. I guess if intensity always equated to championships Kevin Garnett would have a closet full of trophies.