1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

SOCCER - the other football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I wish.

Mogilny likes this.
  2. 1989

1989 Team Captain

Haha, I don't know what that means, but it made me laugh for some reason....

roscoe36 likes this.
  3. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Well, today's Germany-France game more than made up for the terrible Portugal-Wales game. That really should've been the final. Wow, what a game. That penalty in stoppage time to wrap up the first half was the dagger. This is now two games in a row that the Germans conceded a penalty with stupid handballs in the box. Kudos to the French side though, they defended like there was no tomorrow. Lloris was simply amazing. Neuer, although he allowed 2 goals, was also great. This was a fantastic game to watch if you like good goalkeeper play.

The final on Sunday should be a celebration for the host country. Ronaldo is a great player, but the French play a great team game. I'm going over to a friend's house to watch the game. He's French and he's throwing a huge party. It's gonna be pretty awesome.

The story of the star striker for France, Griezmann is also interesting. He's pretty small, and he was told by the French academies that he's too small to play soccer. So he left France and developed his game in Spain and played for Spanish clubs, only to come back and be the top striker in the tournament. Apparently most of the start of the current squad did not come from the soccer academies in France. So, it's kind of an interesting side story.

roscoe36 and 1989 like this.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wow, a bit of an indictment on the French soccer program. Interesting post, Walter!

roscoe36 likes this.
  5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Shots fired!

roscoe36 likes this.
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

What an ugly final.

Ronaldo left with a knee injury 25 minutes into the game. The French side, who has been dominating until then, decided to just sit back and slow down. There were a few close calls and some fancy play by the French side, but mostly it was quite the boring game to watch. As the minutes went by, the momentum started to turn the other way as the Portuguese side started to believe. Fancy finish in the second half of overtime and a 1-0 win for the Portuguese side, who finally shed the label "the team with the most wins in major tournaments without a title." For the goal scorer, Eder, it was his first goal for the national team, and what a way to start that career.

So ends another Euro tournament. If I could describe the whole thing with one word, it would be "meh!"

1989, Mogilny and roscoe36 like this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The worst Euro I can remember.

roscoe36 likes this.
  8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Travesty

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. 1989

1989 Team Captain

Over at The Ringer they have an article on Euro 2016, and this is my favourite part:

The quality of play between the club and international game gets wider with each summer competition — there were maybe two or three games at this tournament where both teams played well — but there’s a charming raggedness to watching national teams compete. When Barcelona and Juventus meet, the movements are so coordinated and the individual touches and decisions are so precise that the games basically get decided by which team can be more perfect. But when Wales faces Slovakia, any time one side completes more than five passes in a row, it feels like they just accidentally parted the Red Sea.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Walter, Mogilny, brofmfa and 2 others like this.
  10. brofmfa

brofmfa Team Captain Forum Donor

Two European national team that carry most African descendants played the final, I was impressed and moved.