1. PF.com is also on Facebook. Follow/Like us Here.
    Dismiss Notice

SOCCER - the other football

Discussion in 'Football, Baseball, and Hockey' started by coynejeremy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

detteam likes this.
  3. detteam

detteam All-Star

Only soccer games I ever enjoyed were ones my kids played in when they were young. Soccer is boring as hell IMO. Never understood its appeal. Would much rather watch professional golf or tennis.

Went to a World Cup game at the Silverdome in '94 only because I got free tickets. Forget both who USA played and who won. The most interesting thing to me was a hybrid turf brought in from MSU that could supposedly grow inside. A US player later stated the Silverdome was the worst place he ever played.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  4. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I lived in Germany for five years while growing up and joined the cult while there. I think it's easier to get into when you have a peer group that is excited about it and that can teach you some of the nuances of the game. Playing it a lot recreationally helps too.

1989, detteam and roscoe36 like this.
  5. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

For those of you who are mildly interested in soccer, there were two huge tournaments going on simultaneously: Copa America 2016 and Euro 2016. Copa America was fantastic with the US making it all the way to the semis to lose to Argentina. Chile pulled off a huge upset in the finals and beat Argentina on penalty kicks. Messi missed his penalty shot which was unbelievable. The two sides were probably the best two teams in the cup, so it was great that they both made it to the Final. Chile's football was the most entertaining to watch, as they were relentless and kept up full-field pressure for 90 minutes every game. Their 7-0 pounding of Mexico was a thing of beauty.

As I said, the US team did quite well, but Argentina was just a tough draw in the semis. Mrs. Walter and I were at the Ecuador-USA game in Seattle. Great atmosphere, but it was disappointing that the stadium wasn't as full as it gets for Sounders games. Here's a shot right after Dempsey's goal:

[​IMG]

On the other side of the ocean, Euro 2016 has been fantastic so far. Mighty Portugal, I mean Ronaldo, is struggling. Spain's supreme reign is coming to an end, and Italy is on the rise. Germans are once again methodical assassins picking opponents apart. It's been an amazing tournament so far and some fantastic quarter finals matches are coming up. Saturday's Italy-Germany game should've been the Final, but it promises to be an instant classic. But, the most amazing story of Euro 2016 is Iceland's magical run. They are the classic Cinderella team. They've never qualified for a major tournament before. Nobody expected them to come out of group stage against Austria, Portugal and Hungary. But, they came out undefeated in second place. In the round of 16, they toppled England in a historic upset, one of the biggest upsets ever in the soccer history. Highlights from that game:
    'Incredible' Iceland knock out England

Icelandic commentator's calling of the game explains it all:
    The best of Iceland's commentator at Euro 2016

To put this in perspective, 10,000 fans from Iceland traveled to Europe to watch their national team. That's 8% of their entire population! We happened to be in Iceland last week and how much this run means to them is something that is hard to explain. Everybody we talked to said that this is the single biggest sports accomplishment in the entire history of Iceland. We were able to catch the Iceland-Austria game in a cafe/bar in a small town in Iceland too. It was a lot of fun. There were 12-13 elementary school kids, all dressed in Icelandic jerseys right next to a bunch of guys who were drinking beer. But everybody was nice and we all had a great time.
    [​IMG]

6. roscoe36

Go Iceland! Nordic pride!

1989 and Walter like this.
  7. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The Euros is bigger than the olympics for many over here, we treat it like the world cup. The soccer so far has been terrible but alot of great cinderella stories with Iceland, Wales and N. Ireland.

Sweden was probably the most boring team of all but atleast Iceland have a swedish coach.

coynejeremy and roscoe36 like this.
  8. Walter

I'd say the play has been better than Copa America. The referees are especially better.

roscoe36 likes this.
  9. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

The good thing about the Euros is that we don't get the Samoa and Burkina Faso refs that the World Cup insists on including but the refs from PL, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A who are used to the big stage so that doesn't surprise me.

Games without a shot on goal (!) and almost all teams move on to the second round with the new setup almost sucked the life out of the first round. It's 23 teams coached by Mourinho and Die Mannschaft. The second round was better so let's hope that trend continues.

I still watch every game.

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  10. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

More unexpected fallout from Brexit...

Walter and roscoe36 like this.
  11. roscoe36

Brexit was the plan. :biggrin:

12. Walter

Yeah, Mogi you're right about the first round. Why even have a qualifying round when you have 16/24 teams qualifying?

Although that Hungary-Portugal game that ended 3-3 was pretty exciting.

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. coynejeremy

I love soccer talk. Way better than dong talk.

roscoe36 likes this.
  14. coynejeremy

After the loss to Chile, Messi (who many consider the best player in the world), swore off playing with the Argentinian national team again. He's done nothing but lose in the finals of big international tournaments. That's gotta suck.

15. roscoe36

Dong talk is great if you are talking to the right person.

coynejeremy likes this.
  16. Walter

1989 and roscoe36 like this.
  17. Walter

Man that Portugal-Poland game was a snoozer. Hopefully the other quarter final matches will be more entertaining.

Mogilny and roscoe36 like this.
  18. Walter

Well, one of the most frustrating teams of the tournament, Portugal, ends run of the other Cinderella story in Wales. This was the first win for the Portuguese side without going to extra time. Ronaldo finally scored a goal. I hope they get their butts kicked in the final. I can't stand Ronaldo.

Tomorrow is the real final of this tournament as France faces off against the mighty German squad. Germans have a few key players missing, but this game can still go either way. The French side must keep their composure. Payet's been a joy to watch and Pogba is finally starting to play real football.

In other soccer news, I was at the West Ham United - Sounders FC international friendly game yesterday. The most boring soccer game I've ever watched. Both sides started with their C squads and the entire first half was casual passing by both sides. I'll never ever go to another friendly game again. Even though the game was a 3-0 win for the Sounders, the most entertaining part of it all was the handful of obnoxious West Ham fans who were jumping up and down the entire time and screaming. There were maybe 80-100 of them total and they were louder than the entire stadium full of Sounders fans. Terrible.

Nemo and roscoe36 like this.
  19. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 5x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What does the Ham team eat for their pre-game meal?

20. 1989

1989 Team Captain

You're Scandinavian?

roscoe36 likes this.