SlippyReport: Pistons Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

No problem.
    Just to follow up on Henson:

Pistons draft prospect John Henson coming to town | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Goodwill's twitter feed also mentions Scott Machado (PG) will be working out for the Pistons too.
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I am watching the NBA Draft Combine currently live on ESPNU

John Henson is there and at 220lbs, looks a little thin.....we need a banger with better jumping skills than Max and JJ. I have seen Sullinger more than Henson so I need to see more tapes before I am sold on him..

I see a lot of GM's and coaches...but have not seen Joe or Frank...but I tuned in late and they are probably somewhere in the building and assume they were yesterday...
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Joe makes his draft decisions based entirely on individual workouts. He's not gonna waste time going to some combine when he could simply fly the guy to Detroit to throw a leg up on the wall and run some shuttle drills.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

So he goes on hearsay and brings in a couple of guys and does not attend the broad session to see everyone there? So that is why he only saw Darko in 2003 and never saw what potential guys like Bosh, Wade, Melo or Kaman had.....:cheeky-smiley-012:
  6. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

To sum up:
    Fad Chord, Arnie's wall and some orange cones all combine to control Joe's draft destiny.
  7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Unless the other GM's drop a good PG and Center in his lap.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He also makes them answer this question correctly: "Are you prepared to sit the bench for 1-2 years with possible trips to the D-League?"
  9. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I would expect that the current crop hovering around the nine, will have to beat out the Jones. Still, we are looking at the 3-4 positions. I still have my favorite. If JD (under sly pressure) wants his center, he will have to gain it in a trade.
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Henson is very long and should be able to block some shots because of that. His problem is his Austin Daye-like weight (which has been a concern for people on here for awhile). IIRC, he came in at 215 - abysmal for a PF who is what, 21? I expect that will scare off some teams; hopefully that includes the Pistons. Shot blocking ability won't matter if you can't keep position against your man.
    Leonard's range is now from 9 on down according to Fad Chord. That's solely down to how good his measurements were; legit center size. Still don't want him.
    Twitter says M0ultrie is getting a "serious look" from the Pistons at 9. Goodwill also tweeted a comment from him, as follows: "Out the lottery teams, Detroit is the perfect fit." JD has a lot of options, even as low as 9, especially with some of the higher picking teams looking at wings and guards like Cleveland (Barnes) and Toronto (Lillard?) - possibly Portland (Waiters?) too.
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is from ESPN on the top 10 pick draft scenario. I didn't bother including the top 5 analysis:

12. BillLaimbeer

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

I can see the Pistons drafting the kid who is afraid to fly with the plan to have Mike Abdenour drive him around in a bus instead.
    BallDon'tLie and basketbills like this.
  14. max

max All-Star

Lets face it - when you are looking for a big man at #9 he is going to be a project. Henson, Zeller, Perry all have their upsides and there is a reasonable chance that any of them will be good or a bust. Henson seems to be the most interesting since he already has many of the skills you are looking for ( at both ends of the floor ) but just needs to bulk up some.

What's so hard about bulking up? You just eat more and start hitting the weights heavy. Henson is not Austin Daye. Just because Daye fell short does not mean that he will.

We may not get much out of Henson in his rookie year but thats ok as the whole team is kind of a project and he can grow with the team.
    BallDon'tLie and roscoe36 like this.
  15. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

I agree, most will be projects. Except for Zeller, it would be nice to have flexibility at the next 3/4 position. Let us remember, the Pistons are far down on the list concerning team offensive. Teams push and double on Monroe... then the front core struggles.

Henson is a legit 6-10 who weighs in at 216 and has 8.6 body fat. Not known as an offensive player and nearly as good as BenW in free throw percentage (51%). The latter worries me.

Terrence Jones is one inch shorter than Henson. He weighs in at 252 and has 7.7 body fat. He has a very respectable wing span of 7.25" which is slightly less than Henson's 7.5" One year older than his teammate ADavis, he could easily outperform him since his weight will not hurt him inside like the grey whale that Davis (weight 221) might become. TJones is athletic and this gives the Pistons flexibility. He was coached hard by Calipari which means he had to accept a lesser ego, which he did with no complaints. Frank can use this type of talent. Generally, in most drafts, you have last minute GM's suddenly skating like so many hogs on ice. TJones will climb and perhaps (surreptitiously) lower than the Piston's nine. There may be some slippery ice working in JD's favor, which has been the case in the last two drafts. Let us hope this continues.
  16. pistonsin6

pistonsin6 First Round Draft Pick

Austin Daye measured in at 6'11 192 lbs at the draft combine.

Henson is nearly 25 lbs heavier than Daye was coming at at 6'11- 216. Additionally, Henson's wingspan is 2.5 inches longer than Daye's. Austin Daye wishes he could get as big as Henson is now.
    basketbills likes this.
  17. BillLaimbeer

Last guy the Pistons drafted based on his wingspan was named Darko....
  18. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I didn't realize there was such a big difference. At this point it looks like Henson is the guy. He can block shots.
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Your point?
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

At this point I am hoping for either Percy Jones III or this Henson character in that order. Either would give the Pistons some size (or at least length) up front along with Monroe.

It would just be nice to have an athalete out there even if he can't really play.