SlippyReport: Pistons Draft

Discussion in 'Pistons and NBA' started by Slippy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I say no to Henson. Just don't ever see the kid getting big enough to not get pushed around at this level. At #9 MKG, Lamb and Barnes will be off the board...maybe. The past 2 lotteries have worked for Joe because 2 really good players literally just fell into his hands......could it happen a 3rd time? MKG will be GONE! But.....if Barnes or Lamb are on the board we have to take one of them, we need a stud on the wing badly! I honestly feel that if we can't get a really good SG/SF we need to trade the pick in an effort to shed CV's contract. I actually like Moultrie from Miss State but I wouldn't take him (or Henson -or- Jones III -or- Sullinger -or- Leonard -or- Zeller) at #9.
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I would cringe if Joe drafted Perry Jones III, but he has the potential to be the best player in the draft........uggghhhh......I'll be watching his draft camp status very closely. PJ3=Austin Daye with athleticism and 35 extra pounds.
  3. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Take the BPA.
    The Pistons roster STILL has too many holes to draft on need.
    pass99 likes this.
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But PJ3 (along with Andre Drummond) are the biggest risks in the draft, they will truly be feast or famine like picks>
  5. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Kgreg, I dont think there is a chance of us getting MKG or Barnes. They will be gone.

About Lamb, he is 6-6 so I really CAN'T see him playing as a Small Forward in the league. He is a terrific shooter and a good pick If you lack Guards, But we don't need guards right now.

There is a chance that Drummond could fall to the 9th pick. In that case I wouldn't be mad if Joe pick him.

About Perry Jones, I like the guy, I'm not saying he will be a franchise palyer, no no no no.. But I think that, with the right environment of work ethic, he can become a solid starter. But he has to play SF/PF in the NBA.

About Henson. I'm waiting to see the measurements results of the combine. Many people are saying that he has the body of Anthony Davis. Long arms.

I won't be mad with any of this picks at number 9: Drummond, Henson, Perry Jones.

But I would be mad if any of those 3 are available and we end up taking Meyers Leonard, Terrence Jones or Tyler Zeller.

I've read about Charlotte trying to trade the 2nd pick for players who are already made or something like that..

I would give them Stuckey + CV + pick 39 + JJ (and maybe Daye or Macklin) for the 2nd pick. I know.. I am dreaming, but it would be really nice :)
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

7. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I read an excerpt of that article. Its kind of neat to read about someones epiphany. My friend used to go back and forth with his friend who was about the same skill level. One day he just realized he could beat him all the time...and he did. Skill level didn't change..only attitude. PJ3 is a tricky horse. He has to beat out vet/olympian Prince so the development time may not be there or he may spend 3 years playing out of position and not succeeding. But at the same time if he gets into the right situation and excels, why didn't you draft him? Because we had Prince and Daye??? sheesh. At this point, I'll be happy with whomever.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

If Joe and his crackpot staff of draft experts don't see eactly what they like at #9, I hope that take time to gage the interest of teams like Houston and Boston in an effort to trade down. If we could trade down for an extra pick we should do it (Rockets & Celtics each have 2 1st rounders).

...of course, according to that article that came out last week, the Pistons have too many players and are going to have a hard time making room for new blood.
    (How the :censored: is it possible to NOT have room for new blood on THIS team???!!!???)
    S.J. likes this.
  9. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Got a feeling the team sorta likes Zeller (safe pick, but MAJOR reach at 9 and would suck so very much) just judging off the constant mentions.

Did read something about Arnett Moultrie mentioning he'd be working out for the Pistons with guys projected to go higher than him. I'm betting that pool will include PJ3.
    Henson's combine results will likely make him fall like a rock on draft night or go higher if his weight checks out. I find myself hoping he goes higher. I want someone to reach for Sully/Zeller ahead of us too, just because I'm worried Joe will go the safe route and get us on the way to becoming the Milwaukee Bucks.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

I just have a feeling I'm not gonna like JDs pick this year.
    Don't think any apples are gonna fall from the tree.
    Joe will be picking off the ground this time around..........
    and it won't be pretty.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

12. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

roscoe36 likes this.
  13. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Looks like Henson's going to get a look from the Kings at 5. Wouldn't be a bad move, given they lack so much on D. He will also be working out for us and teams in our range within the next week.
    The Not-So-Crazy Crazy Idea « NBA.com | Hang Time Blog

I also came across a few scouting videos that might interest you guys:
    Thomas Robinson - DraftExpress: Thomas Robinson Video Scouting Report
    Perry Jones III- DraftExpress: Perry Jones Video Scouting Report
    Andre Drummond - DraftExpress: Andre Drummond Video Scouting Report
    Terrence Ross: DraftExpress: Terrence Ross Video Scouting Report
    Article plus video of Arnett Moultrie working out in LA: SLAM ONLINE | » NBA Pre-Draft Tour: Arnett Moultrie
  14. max

max All-Star

Mock drafts have us taking Henson but when do they ever go as planned. Henson looks like a nice project if he is willing to work hard - maybe a solid year in the gym to bulk up.
  15. linwood

linwood All-Star

Thanks for the vids. Nice to put a face and some moves to these names.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We said that about Tay and Austin Daye
  17. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Tay is due to have a break out season this year....
  18. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

um...he breaks out from Pistons??? please, say yes
  19. max

max All-Star

On the plus side looks like we are about due for a 9th pick to be good

9th Overall NBA Draft Picks | NBA Draft Picks | NBA Draft

2011 Kemba Walker UConn Charlotte
    2010 Gordon Hayward Butler Utah
    2009 Demar DeRozan USC Toronto
    2008 D.J. Augustin Texas Charlotte
    2007 Joakim Noah Florida Chicago
    2006 Patrick O'Bryant Bradley Golden State
    2005 Ike Diogu Arizona St. Jr. Golden State
    2004 Andre Iguodala Ariz. So. Philadelphia
    2003 Mike Sweetney Georgetown Jr. New York
    2002 Amare Stoudemire Cypress Creek HSSr. Phoenix
    2001 Rodney White CharlotteFr. Detroit
    2000 Joel Przybilla MinnesotaSo. Houston
    1999 Shawn Marion UNLV Jr. Phoenix
    1998 Dirk Nowitzki Germany Milwaukee
    1997 Tracy McGrady Mount Zion Academy (HS) Toronto
    1996 Samaki Walker Louisvile Dallas
    1995 Ed O'Bannon UCLA New Jersey
    1994 Eric Montross North Carolina Boston
    1993 Rodney Rogers Wake Forest Denver
    1992 Clarence Weatherspoon Southern Mississippi Philadelphia
    1991 Stacey Augmon Nevada-Las Vegas Atlanta
    1990 Willie Burton Minnesota Miami
    1989 Tom Hammonds Georgia Tech Washington
    1988 Rony Seikaly Syracuse Miami
    1987 Derrick McKey Alabama Seattle
  20. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I'm getting on the Meyers Leonard bandwagon. I was down on him due to lack of mental toughness but he's grown on me as I've looked at our options at #9.
    Whats to like:
    73% free throw shooting. The stats sheet says he didn't attempt more than 1 jump shot a game last season but when he did, he shot it like a guard. He does play inside AND utilize a raw but developing back to the basket game. I want the offense to go through monroe a lot more than we did. When that happens, the other big will be open for an 18 footer.
    Passing. We have arguably the best passing big man in Monroe and Leonard looks to reward cutters very well. Considering who our guards are, it might work out well for everyone if our bigs can pass and our guards can finish.
    true interior presence. He plays inside and mixes it up.
    Not ball dependent...but can be. We don't need another guy who needs to be fed in the post because between Knight, Stuckey, Gordon and prince, we barely can give the ball to our best guy...Monroe. Still, he's shown a nice drop step and some good finishing ability around the basket.

He's not as polished as Zeller but is more athletic. He's not as defensive minded as Henson but his frame is better and the blocks are just a bit behind. He's not nearly as skilled as sullinger but he's bigger and fits in better with what we got.

All that said, I really like his mix of skill, size and potential. He may not will a team to win but thats what Knight is for.